Workflow tips for remixing old projects?

Most of my work nowadays is remixing old projects, some going back more than 20 years to guitar tracks pro. A template is great for new projects but I can't decide if it's better to import the old projects into a new template, or just try to work with them as they are. If I import into the template it's still involves a lot of reassigning outputs and adding sends since every project has a different number and different types of tracks. Keeping it in the original form isn't that great either. Anyone have any tips for workflow to save time when you go back to old projects? Thanks

I think a lot depends on what you mean by "remixing." Is it working with raw tracks from the ground up and making major changes, or just moving faders and some effects around? 

When I need to do inter-DAW transfers, I usually save out either the raw audio or the processed audio (effects, automation, etc.) as individual files, then import them into the target DAW.

• Like 3

Be sure to also consider using track templates (for your situation that would be highly preferable to me over a project template). As you get into a groove of structure and workflow, track templates can be saved (and re-saved as you update them) to include all of the "standard" nuances of FX, busses, sends, etc.

With a new project, you can drag the old cwp/wrk files from the media browser to "populate" the new project, then add track templates as needed to accommodate what the old project entails and shift-drag audio from the old tracks to the new ones. As you polish up tracks that will be used again, be sure to save/update track templates as you go.

• Like 1

part of the archive process is to export all tracks (much easier now with the new export functionality to set up FX PRI and RAW tasks) - both printed with FX and raw. save the project as a new project to a new folder so only the relevant audio files are copied. make copious notes on FX and settings. compress all the tracks, project, subfolders in a ZIP. clean up old version of project and do any future work on the new one.

then... 10-20 years later... if the old project and FX are not fungible, then create a new one, bring in the tracks into your new projects based on your latest mix template, setup your new effects w/ equiv settings from your copious notes, and voila! you are nearly there.

and i've found along the way, when re-using old projects, i may use some of the print tracks and most of the raw tracks as i want to change things up anyways but really liked one particular track effects.

I often open old projects and they make me realize how far I’ve progressed in my workflow. 
Mostly I see that I used split instruments which now annoys me and all the plug ins are outdated and nothings close to what I use now. 
No problem , midi is midi and audio is audio so it’s really a matter of either using the replace features available for effects and instruments to update the projects.

Or as @mettelus said I often use track templates to rebuild. Track templates will also add all the sub buses and effects you now prefer. Then you drag the midi and audio from the frumpy old tracks to the spiffy new tracks. Just delete the empty tracks. 

The other thing I need to do is convert them from 44.1 to 48. 
That’s why I made a video about that. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

Thanks for all of your help! Yes in many cases it will be more than just moving faders, more drastic changes. Hopefully I'm better at mixing than 20 years ago and also CBB has more capabilities as well. I do use track templates for vocals and guitar, but that's a good idea to create more to use. I didn't think you could create bus templates yet?  I'll find out if sub mixes are automatically created from the track templates I import.

you can't create buss templates but you can set up some tracks which use those busses and then when you add the track(s) the busses will be added as well. one thing which is annoying, is colors are lost - so you need to re-color the busses (if you do...)

addendum: i've found after making any number of track template + associated busses, that it was just simpler to have a larger template which encompassed most of what i do at a given stage - recording, mixing, "mastering", etc and just remove tracks and busses later. so once i have the tracks i think i'm going to work with, i will remove the extras. and if i do need to add something back in, i have the templates or simply insert one and use my presets.

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Like 1

The thing I learned about track templates is yes they will insert any buses used but if those buses already exist and named precisely the same they will use those. 
But one tiny difference in the name of the bus and it will create a duplicate. This nota big deal except for the Master bus. Even if it’s spelled the same if one has a Capital M and the other didn’t you’ll end up with 2 masters. 

The solution is to open a brand new project and do everything to create a project template with no tracks inserted ,

Set it up with buses with effects and colours, icons,  the works. Name the sub buses etc . Now when happy save as a project template. Don’t forget the picture for the start screen in the Browser notes section. 

Now add every possible track you normally use including VST instruments and assign to buses.

Now save each track as a track template. 
Don’t re-save the project template. 

So now when you use that project template it’s easy to then only add the tracks you need quickly by using the track templates.  This way you don’t need to have too many project templates. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, charles kasler said:

I didn't think you could create bus templates yet?

In addition to the above, also bear in mind that you can create track templates that include multiple tracks - they are not limited to only one track (almost like a mini-"project template"). As you flesh them out, you will get a feel for what you want for tracks, FX, buses, you want to be inserting as you work. In essence, it is really building projects from the ground up based on existing needs (via inserts), rather than top down via a massive project template which may consume resources that may or may not be used for the given situation (requiring removals).

Realize that this is an iterative process, so as you go you may find that you get to the point that you have created a project while working that may be suitable as good project template as well. No harm, no foul. It is really more working with actual material (why I shy away from a project template out of the chute) and being consistent with track/bus routings as you go.

• Like 1

Definitely not a bug. Pilot error. Make sure that you are using <File><Export><Track Template> (and not a save function). Also make sure that the destination is correct, recognized by the application, and that you have write permissions.

Troubleshooting 101; create NEW blank project, import stock track template. Rinse & repeat with custom template. Rinse & repeat by creating custom template. Report results. 

13 hours ago, charles kasler said:

update - I'm working with a lot of the ideas here. It crashes each time I create & save a track template. Not sure where to post this, sounds like a bug?

Can you specify your workflow with this? Definitely start simple... if you highlight a single track on the left side of the Track View, right click it, then "Save as Track Template..." it should save as a .cwx file to the Track Templates folder. Then if you right click an empty area of the left pane of the Track View and select "Insert from Track Template->" that name should appear in the second list that pops up for you. Are you getting pop up information for the crash occurring?

This is specific to Track Templates, not Project Templates.

Thanks, I'm doing just as you said. I right clicked to save as a track template and it takes a long time and then the screen gets more and more faint and finally CBB shuts down. When I reopen, the template has been saved and I can insert it with no problem. I repeated this three or four times with the same result each time

Are you doing that with new tracks you created or the imported tracks? The only thing that comes to mind is if this is done to an imported track is there may be FX/routings present that are giving CbB grief. There are cases (where you cannot simply use older FX) that need just the track content (audio/MIDI) shift-dragged into the new track and "mixed from scratch."

When you mentioned Guitar Tracks Pro, are you working with old .wrk files? One idea that comes to mind is open those old files first, then "Save As..." with CbB with a new name to a .cwp file. Test that out with one of them first and retry what you have been doing to see if that helps. I am not sure of your system specs, but it could very well be a system configuration issue. I would try the above first to see if that does anything for you before digging deeper into things.

On 2/18/2024 at 6:26 AM, charles kasler said:

Thanks, I'm doing just as you said. I right clicked to save as a track template and it takes a long time and then the screen gets more and more faint and finally CBB shuts down. When I reopen, the template has been saved and I can insert it with no problem. I repeated this three or four times with the same result each time

If you don't get a crash logged try capturing a dump from task manager while the app appears hung.