anybody still use Dimension Pro?

prey

I wish Dimension Pro were not sort of old and probably doomed (or not?).

I'm only now really getting into looking at creating new instruments with it (in the distant past I just used presets). For some reason I could not get the installer to realize my Windows 11 machine was 64 bit and it would only offer to put one version (mind you this was my paid DVD backed up on SSD) in the (x86) area, so only the 32-bit version got installed.

Still, I don't expect problems if this is all I can easily get working. Today's hardware should be able to run the 32 bit version pretty efficiently compared to average resources at the time. I'm just glad it finally looked at the Disk 2 contents when installing. I was messing with the folder to get the installer to see it and made it invisible but suddenly the installer saw it and finished the installation. I'll take it!

Was there an installer update... is that why my DVD version is only offering 32 bit but I remember having 64 in the past...? I only found updates to the existing ware, and I'm up to v1.5 somehow. 

Like I say... if it's hard to get 64  bit installed, I'm happy the 32 bit is working greatly. Some of the addons always wind up automatically directed to a wrong folder but I can chase them down and move them if serious about it. 

Lo Fi is apparently not a new interest, lol. 2005 software and Dimension Pro was already right there with a Lo Fi-ification resource! In 2005 I was still too used to running *away* from lower bit rates. 

Anyone else love or still love Dimension Pro? Or just Kontakt etc. now...?

Edited by prey

Love my DimPro. Got it with Sonar Producer 8.5 (stayed with 8.5 till the resurrection of CWB).

It will be used on almost all tracks. Some amazing pads and textures. I have Kontakt Ultimate 14 and a ton of other Kontakt instruments. But I still find something in DimPro that sits or works better on many a track.  I appreciate it is old tech. But when it is this versatile who cares. I would love to see an updated version for the new Sonar. But doubt it will be.

• Like 1

DP 1.5 is the last version, but there is a 64-bit variant. If you registered it, there should be a copy of the installation files in your old Cakewalk account (or use the Cakewalk Command Center to download it). IIRC, the library files are identical, so you should only need to install the 64-bit application (and possibly point the multisamples folder to where the 32-bit app installed them... be sure to hit F5 to refresh the program listing if that is required).

If you didn't register it, reach out to the bakers so that they can add it to your account for you. I am not sure if the registration site is still active or not.

Edited by mettelus
  • Like 1

Dim pro and rapture Pro are still relavent and have some great presets I still use.  I forget if it is rapture or dim that has the “jimmy…” preset which is a go to for organs.  There are also plenty of “effects” and evolving drones and legiti-esque orchestra sounds.  Good stuff.  My minimoog is older yet still makes sounds I use.

• Like 1

I’ve had Dim Pro since Sonar 8.5 but I will now install it from CCC with no issues.

I definitely depend on it for the acoustic bass which is on 60 or so of my backing tracks for our Folk/Bluegrass band.  It is also in many of my original songs. 
I also use Dim pro for all sorts of different sounds either it or xpand2. I really don’t bother looking anywhere else than those 2. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 3

Thanks to everybody for your great feedback. Having dipped my head into what's around these days I find a lot to explore, but I'm glad to see something like Dimension Pro and Rapture still get use and love. Rapture crashes on me a bit more from machine to machine (when one PC breaks down I outfit a new one) but I've never been able to resist using it.

That would be pretty cool to see them embraced anew by new Cakewalk.

On 2/7/2024 at 9:32 AM, mettelus said:

DP 1.5 is the last version, but there is a 64-bit variant. If you registered it, there should be a copy of the installation files in your old Cakewalk account (or use the Cakewalk Command Center to download it). IIRC, the library files are identical, so you should only need to install the 64-bit application (and possibly point the multisamples folder to where the 32-bit app installed them... be sure to hit F5 to refresh the program listing if that is required).

If you didn't register it, reach out to the bakers so that they can add it to your account for you. I am not sure if the registration site is still active or not.

Yeah neither my Command Center nor my legacy My Products show a 64 bit option or download. Just my serial & registration numbers and links to older updates . Not even the 32 bit shows a download.

In fact what I'm running now comes from my old, boxed DVD  backups I made onto SSD (possibly w/ updates around).

Pretty cool to have a hardcopy of the manual, still!

How would I reach out to whom you call the bakers? I haven't really known what's going on since Roland, lol.

It's kind of funny... I cherished my old Editrol UA-25, and now (after it finally died) I have a Volt 2 also beginning with the letters "UA".  

9 hours ago, prey said:

Yeah neither my Command Center nor my legacy My Products show a 64 bit option or download. Just my serial & registration numbers and links to older updates . Not even the 32 bit shows a download.

Quick question here... DimPro is listed there however, right? IIRC, it is only one download that is a combined installer, so it asks you during installation which version you want (32-bit or 64-bit). SInce you installed from old discs, the 32-bit version is all that was in that installer. If you have DimPro registered and listed there, there should be a download link as well. That combined installer also includes the multisamples, so is rather massive (roughly 3GB), but the app itself is only about 15MB, with a 7MB patch for the 1.5 update.

The link to Contact Cakewalk Support is at the bottom of this post.

On 2/7/2024 at 3:50 PM, Alan Tubbs said:

I forget if it is rapture or dim that has the “jimmy…” preset which is a go to for organs.

Dimension Pro -> Expansion Pack 1 -> Organs -> Virtual B3 -> RGC VB3 Jimmy