ok, i need help picking a drum kit! same song, two kits..

bats brew

im' trying to decide which drum kit between two i've built, work best for this song.
i posted the 1st version of the song already, but now i want to try at least one different kit that i've been working on. a more rock sounding kit.

both are from the toontracks superior drummer 'rooms of hansa' expansion kit.

here's the song:
https://batsbrew.bandcamp.com/track/running-free

and here's the kit used:

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/Gp8bhG94/gonzo-hansa-live-kit.png[/img] 

1st version of this song, uses this kit,
this kit is a bit unique compared to the usual kit i use:
the basis of the kit is a CAMCO set. it's a vintage set.

i like it for a dry almost 70's kind of kick and impact.
this kit is setup in the "Live" room.

ok, 
here's the 2nd song version:
https://batsbrew.bandcamp.com/track/running-free-version-2

2nd version, with new kit:

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/TwnGnxVG/hansa-masshoff-marble-room.png[/img] 
this kit is built around a Masshoff kit:
"This is a very special kit, custom-built by Berlin-based boutique drum manufacturer Udo Masshoff. The stand-out feature in these drums is the the so-called “twin shells.” These shells make use of both steel and maple, resulting in drums that produce very warm, powerful and unique tones with an amazing frequency range."

this kit is setup in the "Marble" room.
room mics used to great affect.

• Like 1

So I'm going to agree with David, the Masshoff kit, although for me its the kick.
The snare "rings" a bit much to my ears, but for some that's the "sound" they're after.
I prefer the "crack" of a Louisville Slugger, compared to the "ring" of an aluminum bat; but that's just me...

Another great tune Bats.

t

• Like 1

22 hours ago, David Baay said:

Having only listened on headphones at this point. I much prefer the meatier V2 drums, especially the snare.

wow, thanks so much for listening, i wasn't sure anyone would bother with the excersice, and i understand...

yea, i think i really wanted a more rock modern live kit, but had to create #1 to figure it out! LOL

something about the Masshoff kick, with that snare, is just right.

still not sure about the toms yet.

6 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

So I'm going to agree with David, the Masshoff kit, although for me its the kick.
The snare "rings" a bit much to my ears, but for some that's the "sound" they're after.
I prefer the "crack" of a Louisville Slugger, compared to the "ring" of an aluminum bat; but that's just me...

Another great tune Bats.

t

louisville slugger...! 

heheh,

yep, i get that, used to play a lot of baseball when i was young.

#2 is becoming the standout, for sure.

i could work that snare a bit, i was thinking about dropping the pitch just a few cents.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, jack c. said:

MT Power Drum Kit 2

free and i use it's cymbals on all me songs.nice song.jack c

well, i'm going to stick with superior drummer, and find a good blend of just the right components.

i've spent a long time getting good at programming with this piece of kit, and not switching horses in the middle of the stream.

but thanks all the same.

Edited by bats brew

10 hours ago, Bridget Murphy said:

As an amateur bodhran player, I'm particularly drawn to the rhythm and how well both kits complement the overall energy of the song.

THAT'S SO COOL, the bodhran, i've seen it used quite a few times,

even in a led zeppelin context,

i'd love to get one and try to learn some basic rhythms.

i'm also wanting to get one of those baritone recorder, just cuz of stupid grogu!

LOL

thanks for listening, the drum parts i program from scratch using superior drummer 3,

usually  i start with a loop from the library that i close, then i move stuff around and edit, to use it as a main rhythm motif.

but i love working with real percussionists!

5 minutes ago, Lynn Wilson said:

Regardless of the drum kit you use, this is a very fine song, Rob!  That's the key!  All in all, brilliant.

thanks lynn!!

well, i'm on a mission...

to try to define a certain kind of drum kit sound, that would be a 'bats brew' sound.

i've got 3 different kinds of kits i want (dead dry 70's style, hard rock modern, and ballad level)

18 hours ago, bats brew said:

THAT'S SO COOL, the bodhran, i've seen it used quite a few times,

even in a led zeppelin context,

i'd love to get one and try to learn some basic rhythms.

i'm also wanting to get one of those baritone recorder, just cuz of stupid grogu!

LOL

thanks for listening, the drum parts i program from scratch using superior drummer 3,

usually  i start with a loop from the library that i close, then i move stuff around and edit, to use it as a main rhythm motif.

but i love working with real percussionists!

Yep, I've heard Led Zep have bodhrans in their act. Definitely has its on stage appeal.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 7:48 AM, bats brew said:

to be clear,

i think i saw it on the plant/page collab, and not necessarily zep...

those guys are synonomous with 'zep', so it all kinda falls under the same umbrella

Thank you for clarifying your point. I actually saw a different post regarding Zep using bodhran in their performance. However I cannot find that exact post now.