How to adjust the volume knobs.

yamadatarou

Question

Finally, there is work to reduce the sound pressure of the master track to 0db or less,
If you set automation for individual tracks, you will not be able to adjust the volume knobs.
I want to lower the volume evenly, but what should I do?

And, if it has other ways to reduce the volume of trucks.

Please tell me.

11 answers to this question

Route the tracks that have volume automation to a sub-bus and route that sub-bus to the master bus.

Then you can adjust the overall volume of the automated tracks together using the volume slider of the sub-bus.

14 minutes ago, 57Gregy said:

Route the tracks that have volume automation to a sub-bus and route that sub-bus to the master bus.

Then you can adjust the overall volume of the automated tracks together using the volume slider of the sub-bus.

I had thought of a way to do it, but
Since I'm a beginner, I didn't know if there would be any changes in the sound quality, so I didn't try it.
This advice comes from someone who has experience using it, so it seems okay.
I'll try.

the challenge with the gain control to shift volume on an automated track (presuming overall level change) is the impact on effects or other gain staging impacts (over / under drive - undesirable clipping / loss of the saturation effect).

so, for large overall change -> use offset mode, for small spot changes -> more automation envelope edits 🙂 use the clip gain envelope as a  "pre-compressor / expander / de-esser" function (etc) to get the consistency on the clip levels.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

Thank you so much.

I try to change the volume that uses automation of each track.
It is over 0db place of each.

But the master truck doesn't over 0db.
Does it need to adjust to lower the peak place of each track?
Each track is over 0db (become red).

Even if the master track is not red, will the sound quality deteriorate if each track is red?

(I couldn't find the button for offset mode and envelope mode.
And I couldn't understand the difference between offset mode and envelope mode.
Which mode is better to adjust each track?

But it's okay.)

7 hours ago, yamadatarou said:

Does it need to adjust to lower the peak place of each track?
Each track is over 0db (become red).

Yes , this should have been done Before automation . I would delete the volume automation , get everything under control and in the ball park . You will then find you only need some minor automation. Route them to a bus or busses as @57Gregy suggested and you can easily adjust tracks or groups of tracks evenly.         ms

• Like 1

most times i start with volume controls set to -6db per track and -3db per sub-buss. then adjust my gain to get somewhere around-12db (using clip gain as needed) on tracks and busses, while keeping my master, with all tracks up, to around -6db. this is before i apply compression/expansion on any tracks or busses. this is a bit "hot" but good for mixing (i use a calibrated 75db level on main monitor buss and also 63db on -12db monitoring buss) and then easily adjusted to accommodate the target export levels later.

another reasonable tactic - set a lower monitoring volume and add a noise track with -18db mono pink noise (use a plugin or an audio clip). then raise each track until you can just barely hear it over the noise. one track at a time (mute the already raised track). then unmute all. you should now have a pretty good set of levels to start with - then work out the clip gains to get those individual levels approximately equal and get to a decent static mix.

Posted (edited)

Thank you so much.
I try to change
track -6db
sub-buss -3db
master -12db
my understanding is ok?

I will reduce the volume -6db for each truck.
However, Is there any way not to delete the automation?

Repair is hard.
>
(i use a calibrated 75db level on main monitor buss and also 63db on -12db monitoring buss) 
I couldn’t under stand so much is it needed?
And how do you check 75db?

>then easily adjusted to accommodate the target export levels later.
How to do that?

Can I use Ozone Maximizer of that way?
Is it needed?

Edited by yamadatarou

these ideas might be useful in your next project if you have a lot of automation and won't use the offset methods on the tracks with automation. calibration is straightforward - get an inexpensive sound level meter (i bought an older Radio Shack digital for $25 off ebay) and i set my main monitoring volume to 0db, and adjust my amplification and OS sound settings to get to 75db. then a prefader send to the -12db monitoring buss. simple to do a quick switch between the two. and of course the main one can be adjusted as needed.

it's important to note: i have templates which i use to get all this set up before i start a project so it's already built-in for me. i recommend the same for you - create templates to set up your "standard" routing etc.

i use Ozone 10 EQ and Maximizer on the master with the option to use or not on the Print buss (file export).