ReMIDI 3 released $19 upgrade from ReMIDI 2

Steve K

ReMIDI 2, which I have always found to be a fun tool for inspiration has been upgraded to ReMIDI 3.  Upgrade price (at least mine) is $19.  Regular price is a staggering $128!

Here's the link:  

https://store.songwish.ca/p/remidi-3/

They upgraded the UI which will greatly simplify scanning MIDI files for chords and other variations -- very useful!  They also added a semi-randomized chord-melody generator, separate from the MIDI file scanning -- not really as useful, IMO.  There's a tutorial video on the page.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Link for getting the upgrade from PluginBoutique

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/3-Studio-Tools/93-Music-Theory-Tools/11757-reMIDI-3-Upgrade-from-reMIDI-2

It looks generic (regardless of where you purchased remidi2) so, probably a better deal (virtual cash, rewards+, a freebie if you already didn't get them all)

Edited by Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann

Just now, Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann said:

Link for getting the upgrade from PluginBoutique

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/3-Studio-Tools/93-Music-Theory-Tools/11757-reMIDI-3-Upgrade-from-reMIDI-2

It looks generic (regardless of where you purchased remidi2) so, probably a better deal (virtual cash, rewards+, a freebie if you already didn't get them all)

Nope. It only works if you have bought reMidi 2 from their shop.

grafik.png.75a3c38b02edf3adf055c7e07ca8e8ff.png

• Sad 1

A user on YouTube gave detailled feedback on what should be improved. It's a long list and it makes me question if it's worth upgrading:

I just bought it. Here are some things that need improvement...

1) Changing the previewer selection above the pads should not force the play button to suddenly activate; if I want the sequence to play then I will press the play button.

2) If I drag a pattern onto a pad, the vertical cursor in the editor should automatically be positioned at the mid-point of that grouping of notes so that zooming in and out will stay roughly on the notes not just zooming toward scroll position zero.

3) Double-clicking a value should set that value to a default (usually zero).

4) Double-clicking a scroll bar handle should cycle the zoom through [zoom last chosen by user], [show all selected notes], [show all notes]. Or something similar.

5) In the editor, double-clicking on a note should delete the note.

6) There needs to be a way to shorten an editor sequence, trimming the beginning and end.

7) It would be nice if the left and right jump could be set to either the length of the selection (as it currently behaves) or to the length of the current beat size.

8 ) If the user selects a pad that is empty, pressing the play button should play the sequence in the previewer, and the arrow keys should move the selection in the previewer. Possibly the program needs a toggle button to choose whether the user is trying to work with the previewer or the editor.

9) It seems like there are only 16 pads, unless I'm missing something, you should give us multiple pages of pads so we can fill the whole keyboard range with sequences

10) It would be nice to see a thumbnail indicating the data contained in a pad or at least a symbol identifying whether a pad is empty.

11) In the harmony tool, changing the chord type destructively changes notes and can even move them left and right, and there is no way to undo the changes.

12) The strum tool is buggy and destroys most sequences by causing notes to disappear.

13) It would be nice if playing a pad went through the following stages... StartSequence, StartLoop, EndLoop, EndSequence. When a key is pressed it would start the sequence, entering an area where it would loop (or not if the user doesn't want it to loop), and when the user finally releases the pad then the sequence would finish off by playing through the end sequence.

I'm surprised that it only offers 16 pads. reMidi 2 has more. And with reMidi 2 you can also see which pads are empty and which aren't.

@John Maar you seem to have bought the upgrade. What's your first impression?

Edited by audioschmaudio

On 12/14/2023 at 5:48 PM, Steve K said:

ReMIDI 2, which I have always found to be a fun tool for inspiration has been upgraded to ReMIDI 3.  Upgrade price (at least mine) is $19.  Regular price is a staggering $128!

Here's the link:  

https://store.songwish.ca/p/remidi-3/

They upgraded the UI which will greatly simplify scanning MIDI files for chords and other variations -- very useful!  They also added a semi-randomized chord-melody generator, separate from the MIDI file scanning -- not really as useful, IMO.  There's a tutorial video on the page.

Sale price is $40 - Non-upgrade 

Edited by TheSteven
fixed typos

14 hours ago, audioschmaudio said:

A user on YouTube gave detailled feedback on what should be improved. It's a long list and it makes me question if it's worth upgrading:

I'm surprised that it only offers 16 pads. reMidi 2 has more. And with reMidi 2 you can also see which pads are empty and which aren't.

@John Maar you seem to have bought the upgrade. What's your first impression?

I installed it and opened to make sure it ran, but haven't done any work with it yet.

First impressions: 1) I really dislike the interface (green on green), 2) the GUI is resizable (good) but the text/font doesn't scale on my 4K display running at 200% scaling), and 3) no PDF manual yet, and the online "manual" is a whole bunch of click-throughs.

Here's the video that got me into reMIDI. There are several others that incorporate reMIDI on his YT channel. I also just bought The Orchestra Complete v3 (TOC3; really nice!).

Edited by John Maar
  • Like 2