You didn't ask for it...

Rain

From an old project, but I just realized that everything in there is done with Cakewalk instruments. Figured I'd share it with my old pals on this board. It was recorded/sequenced in Sonar 6.

Essentially it’s just me squeezing as much as I could out of those two chords with each new “verse”, approaching them from a slightly different angle each time, as you would for a soundtrack, while trying to remain true to the macabre/70’s horror film vibe of the song for 4 minutes. And then the weird finale.

It’s called 1440 Monument Avenue, and it’s an ode to the now defunct Museum of Funeral Customs that used to be located at that address.

I used Dimension Pro for the piano - a patch called Alien Piano that I used to use all the time, tweaked just a little, and Z3t4 and Rapture for all the the synths. Roland Groovesynth for drums - layered with a few drum samples from Dimension.

It’s not properly mixed, but whatever EQ (used for sound sculpting purposes), reverb and compression plugins were used, it was all Sonitus (I’d been a fan of those way before Cakewalk acquired them from Ultrafunk). The only non-Cakewalk plugins would probably be two freebies: Camel Crusher (a distortion plugin) and LoFi by Ephonic. I say probably because I think I recognize the sound and I used those two in almost every project back then to tighten up things a bit.

I love that Z3t4 patch at the end so much! I think it’s one of the factory ones, although it could be something I downloaded off of KvR back then.  I’m not sure I even tweaked it at all (I may have tried to dial the reverb back a little but it’s still drenched in it). It’s so beautifully layered and so huge in term of frequency range, from the low end to the sizzling distortion on top. A thing of beauty, but it really needs all the space.

I imagined some kind of Dr. Phibes-esk character playing some weird organ-type of instrument, but that doesn’t sound like an organ at all.

I sincerely hope that Bandlab re-release those old instruments. They were such an integral port of my workflow. I guess this song is also an ode to them.

Oh and there's no video, it's just a pic. As much as YT sucks, it's still the best platform to share music, imho. It's just a song idea, anyway.

Edited by Rain
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

That was really cool Rain! It had a very spooky quality to it that I could see being very at home in a horror movie. Everything sounded balanced to me. I do have to admit that I was expecting some guitar at some point, though. 😁

Great work!

Edited by Leadfoot
  • Like 1