Toontrack Save up to 80% – a total of 29 amazing deals available | Black Friday week at Toontrack

cclarry

They put Indiependent on sale.  That's what I was waiting for. I bought Custom Shop EZX yesterday. I think that gives me all the drums I need for the rest of 2023, except for some KONTAKT kits from Analogue Drums. Thanks again,  Larry. While I get Toontrack emails, I rarely pay attention to marketing emails. 

Thomanns appears to  have the TT $54 sdx's for $49, while BestService appears to have them for $49.92.

Thomanns appears to  have the TT $27 ekx's for $24.70, while BestService appears to have them for $24.96.

Thomanns appears to  have the TT $27 ezx's for $24.70, while BestService appears to have them for $24.96.

Thomanns appears to  have the TT $53 ebx's for $48, while BestService appears to have them for $48.99.

Thomanns does not appear to  have the TT $16 ez-mix packs, while BestService appears to have them for $14.79.

Thomanns does not appear to  have the TT $10 midi, while BestService appears to have them for $9.24.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bad Penguin said:

Thomanns appears to  have the TT $54 sdx's for $49, while BestService appears to have them for $49.92.

Thomanns appears to  have the TT $27 ekx's for $24.70, while BestService appears to have them for $24.96.

Thomanns appears to  have the TT $27 ezx's for $24.70, while BestService appears to have them for $24.96.

Thomanns appears to  have the TT $53 ebx's for $48, while BestService appears to have them for $48.99.

Thomanns does not appear to  have the TT $16 ez-mix packs, while BestService appears to have them for $14.79.

Thomanns does not appear to  have the TT $10 midi, while BestService appears to have them for $9.24.

That's a very useful list, Bad Penguin or should I say Good Penguin? 

I bought EZX Custom Shop yesterday through Thomann and shared a link in an earlier Toontrack sales thread where someone mentioned that if you use BestService you can use their rewards (which I'm sure I have and didn't think of before his post) to bring the price down. So, I'm 90% sure that I'm going to buy SDX Indiepdendent before the weekend is over and will be comparing the two stores. I'm guessing the difference will be pretty small, but I'm still going to opt for the best deal. 

• Like 1

Independent is a great library. If I didn’t already have it, that would be a no-brainer for me. As it is , I’m struggling a bit over whether Custom & Vintage is worth it for me, especially since I’ve got the EZX version. Leaning to the negative side right now.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, LAGinz said:

Independent is a great library. If I didn’t already have it, that would be a no-brainer for me. As it is , I’m struggling a bit over whether Custom & Vintage is worth it for me, especially since I’ve got the EZX version. Leaning to the negative side right now.

Thanks for that insight. I have owned Custom & Vintage since it came out, which I'm guessing is more than a decade ago. I think Chris Whitten was involved in that one (Chris and I used to chat a bit at a drummers forum years ago, super cool guy who's played drums with a lot of artists I am fond of, like Paul McCartney). My honest take is that it includes a lot of drums I love in real life, but some of the recordings aren't great and the mixes can be dull and uninspired. When it came out, I was pretty excited about it. But with other Toontrack libraries to compare, I don't think it's in the same ballpark. The mixes are really meh to me and a couple, to my ears, are just plain bad (one preset named after a band used for the demos sounds downright awful to me; but of course, everything is subjective). Listen closely to the demos and the preset walkthroughs. I've ended up creating a lot of my own kits and tweaking mixes, but I often just take snares from C&V into other SDx and EZx I like a lot better.  

Edited by PavlovsCat

1 hour ago, LAGinz said:

Just a quick, simple thought. I'm not a fan of some of Toontrack's practices. I find things like their limited-time upgrade of SD2 to SD3 and forever taking away an upgrade discount very customer-unfriendly and just plain terrible idea from customer loyalty and brand image perspectives. On a much lesser scale, I find their lack of offering upgrade pricing from EZX to the related SDX is disappointing and also a missed promotional opportunity for Toontrack to upsell customers.  Instead, Toontrack released a $15 per title resale fee. 

I would bet that nearly 100% of SD3 customers who own EZXs that have contemplated buying the related SDXs would agree with me that getting a discount on the related SDX would make them more inclined to upgrade and would also result in them feeling better about the brand.

Agree or disagree? 

Toontrack can pretty much do as they want. They are the big whale in the drum plug-in market, and don’t really have a major competitor. It’s a shame that over the years those running BFD have fumbled the ball so many times. Not speaking here one way or the other about the Player, but in my view  a lot of the old BFD2 and 3  libraries sounded a little more real and a little less slick than  the Toontrack ones.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Clint Martin said:

I caved and went ahead and got Kicks and Snares too. Custom shop and Kicks and snares really help to cover some ground.

Do you have SD3 or ezDrummer?

I don't know if ezDrummer allows you to swap drums and cymbals, I think it does, but aren't sure. That is the feature that really hooks me deep into the SD3 ecosystem. As a former drummer, I had all sorts of physical cymbals and snares and loved to be able to swap snares for different songs. I'd generally have two or three snares for bigger shows and different bass drum beaters, even different size sticks based on the songs.  So I LOVE being able to switch out the various drums and cymbals in SD3. It has made it harder for me to buy drum kits in say, KONTAKT format, where that's not a possibility. Plus, having so many effects inside the plugin where you can apply them and save the presets to use in the future, is awesome (as opposed to having to use external effects where you can't just save them as a user preset).  For this sale, I loved the kits in Custom Shop and I've been thinking about Indiependent for a long time. So this sale was pretty much perfect for me. I should be good until next Black Friday! 

• Like 1