Latency problem

Yury

I have a problem with latency when I have effects on the master bus. When I turn off all effects I can play and record normally without delay.  And again if I turn effects on, the problem still there. Its only while recording. I have pretty powerfull computer with lots of memory, I install the latest ASIO drivers from my audio inteface's site and nothing. Same thing happen when I record vocals. Is this I do something wrong, or I don't do what I suppose to do, ot this is normal?

P.S. It happen only when I have effects on the master bus. If I add effects on the track-everything works normally

Any help will be appreciated

Edited by Yury

I don't know your current settings...but you might be able to fix the problem by lowering your buffer to say 128 or better if your machine can handle it without clicks/pops and general audio engine problems.  A good machine should be able to handle a pretty massive stack of compressors, eq, chorus, delay, etc. in real time, even while tracking.  But...

You also might be learning that some effects can't be used in real-time.  If that's the problem, you'll have to figure out which one (or ones) it is and save it for when you're mixing and can turn your buffer up without worrying about latency.

2 hours ago, Yury said:

I have a problem with latency when I have effects on the master bus. When I turn off all effects I can play and record normally without delay.  And again if I turn effects on, the problem still there. Its only while recording. I have pretty powerfull computer with lots of memory, I install the latest ASIO drivers from my audio inteface's site and nothing. Same thing happen when I record vocals. Is this I do something wrong, or I don't do what I suppose to do, ot this is normal?

P.S. It happen only when I have effects on the master bus. If I add effects on the track-everything works normally

Mastering FX may be linear phase and that requires a look ahead buffer that can cause delays. Check your mastering FX and see if any are linear phase, if so, the delay is expected. You normally don't use linear phase FX when recording. Normally, mastering is done after mixing ...

1 hour ago, HOOK said:

I guess you guys would be shocked at the number of plugins a good system can run, in real-time, and DEEP into the tracking of a song - without detectable latency.

Plugins either require delay compensation or they don't; a powerful CPU will make no difference in this case.  And when plugin load gets too high for a given CPU and buffer size. the result is not increased latency, it's Rice Crispies.

Plugin Delay Compensation can be temporarily overridden while recording Input-monitored tracks (including Synth/Instrument tracks) by the PDC [override] button in the Mix module, but only if the PDC-inducing plugin isn't in the path of that track to the output.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2023 at 9:42 AM, Yury said:

Does your computer have USB 3 Super Speed? If so, I would go into your machine's BIOS, go to USB settings, find the one that says "USB 3 Superspeed", and if it's off, switch it on, then restart your machine. My sighted friend, Markus (Yes, that's "Markus" with a "K", not a "C"), did that for me, and now the latency is completely gone! What buffer size setting do you have your interface on?