Omnisphere VST synth and Cakewalk not getting along

noynekker

I've reported this bug before here on the forum, but don't recall there was ever a proper solution. I have Omnisphere VST synth on a track . . . I've had to freeze many other tracks to keep this project moving ahead, they all freeze as expected, but this Omnisphere track simply will not freeze . . . it goes through the motions, but does not actually convert to an audio track. When I click the Omnisphere track in Synth Rack view . . . it actually points to my BFD3 VST drum track ! There is the bug.

Yes, I can cut and paste, remove and delete, re-create the track . . . but wonder why it keeps happening, and sometimes this issue just moves up to another track, after trying to fix it, so I usually don't like to mess with it too much. So, the real question is . . . is Omnisphere not compatible with Cakewalk ?, or, are multiple Omnisphere tracks not compatible with Cakewalk ? I just want my $500 plugin to work 100%, instead of 85% . . . has anyone else noticed this ?

I have had this happen a few times, but not with just Omnisphere.  I have had tracks that would just not freeze. And, yes the ports were all set up properly. I had a large project where after saving and reopening, all the ports were shifted one slot. I haven’t had much time to play with this to figure out what happened. I was going to freeze a few tracks then delete delete the top one while leaving it frozen. Save and reopen it to see what happens. 

Yeah, this is an old one that does happen to me from time to time (quite rare, but as recent as two days ago) and I've never figured out why other than it has only happened when revisiting an older project rather than when working on the current one. I have also asked the question before and also never got an answer. I don't think it is Omnisphere related as it is has been used in most of my projects for years now and this week was the first  time it happened to be Omnisphere, but the other times it was other synths. 

This week I unfroze an instance of Omni purely to see what sound it was that I used and after that, having not touched anything else, there was no option to refreeze and it had somehow assigned itself to a kontakt synth that was already frozen, so I unfroze that, reassigned Omni to the correct outputs and then froze that. All well and good except now the option to freeze kontakt has gone because it has reassigned itself to a different instance of kontakt and so on...

So annoying when it happens, but I guess if they haven't fixed it in all this time, it's not getting fixed now. 

Thanks for the replies paulo and Max Arwood . . . sounds like this issue still happens.

I searched for my thread from years back, and noticed @msmcleod and @Noel Borthwick came up with a fix.  Since it still happens maybe the cause of the problem is something entirely different than what got fixed. It's best described as the "VSTi swap out" issue, because the instruments routing gets moved to other tracks, and if you try to fix it, they just keep moving, creating a larger mess.

For me the strange thing is that in Synth rack view . . . selecting the Omnisphere track, now corresponds to a BFD3 instrument . . . yet it still plays back as the original Omnisphere instrument. Anyways, it's not a "Showstopper" issue as I dramatically described it a few years back. (it only becomes a showstopper if you try to fix it, and save your project with the new problems you created)

7 hours ago, noynekker said:

Since it still happens maybe the cause of the problem is something entirely different than what got fixed.

Yeah, in my case it was never anything to do with having made midi hardware changes because I have never done that and it still happens. I used to be convinced that it was something to do with deleting a synth that somehow caused the midi out ports of the others to change, so I started using replace synth rather than delete so that the tracks remain in place in the hope that this would somehow make it leave the others alone, but clearly that hasn't prevented it from happening. I have noticed since I installed 2022.11 that replacing an existing synth no longer automatically assigns a midi out port and this now has to be done manually, whereas it used to default to output 1 of whatever the new synth was, so that's a PITA, but I don't know exactly when this changed other than sometime between 2020.09 and 2022.11 because I never installed any of the versions between them. Maybe this has changed again in the last version. I guess I'll find out one day. :)

8 hours ago, noynekker said:

Thanks for the replies paulo and Max Arwood . . . sounds like this issue still happens.

I searched for my thread from years back, and noticed @msmcleod and @Noel Borthwick came up with a fix.  Since it still happens maybe the cause of the problem is something entirely different than what got fixed. It's best described as the "VSTi swap out" issue, because the instruments routing gets moved to other tracks, and if you try to fix it, they just keep moving, creating a larger mess.

For me the strange thing is that in Synth rack view . . . selecting the Omnisphere track, now corresponds to a BFD3 instrument . . . yet it still plays back as the original Omnisphere instrument. Anyways, it's not a "Showstopper" issue as I dramatically described it a few years back. (it only becomes a showstopper if you try to fix it, and save your project with the new problems you created)

It did occur to me that this might be the underlying cause of the issue, especially seeing as it's an older project with (most likely) and older version of Omnisphere.

The symptoms of the issue would be that anything after Omnisphere in the synth rack would have it's outputs knocked off by one.

Has anyone seeing this issue happen with a newer project?

5 hours ago, msmcleod said:

The symptoms of the issue would be that anything after Omnisphere in the synth rack would have it's outputs knocked off by one.

Nor sure if this helps or not, but in my case the project of mine where I noticed that it had happened again this week wasn't even created until the month after I upgraded from Omnisphere 1 to version 2 (version number was 2.6 at the time IIRC) so at least in my case that seems to rule out a new version of Omnisphere as being the culprit.

In my other project that I referred to in the quoted thread whilst one instance of Omnisphere was also  in that one, which was earlier so would have been version 1, it was still assigned as it should be, the problem that time seemed to revolve mostly around Izotope Iris 2. Five instances that all showed properly as frozen tracks in TV, although IIRC two of them had labelled themselves there as Iris 2 1 with no Iris 2 3 showing in TV.  All had the freeze * greyed out in synth rack viewand selecting the solo button in TV whilst also viewing synth rack showed that the track assignments were all over the place. I've only ever had Iris 2, there was never a version 1 installed, so again it doesn't seem to be a version issue.