How to create audio "fluttering" effect?

Dave G

Question

As opposed to the modulation effect (where the audio rapidly fluctuates in pitch), how do I create that "fluttering" effect (where the audio rapidly fluctuates in volume, similar to vibrato)? Examples from which I'm trying to replicate the effect are:

"Crimson and Clover" (guitar at 2:56 and vocals at 4:25)

"Spinning Wheel" (vocal fade out at 1:15)

Is there a process to this, or is it a simple vibrato controller?

Please advise. Thanks in advance! :)

8 answers to this question

As mentioned above, a tremolo effect would be best.

However, a quick and dirty way would be to add clip gain or track volume automation, and use the "Sine" draw tool.  The snap resolution will dictate the frequency of the sine wave.

Personally, I'd go for clip gain automation as this leaves track volume for normal mixing duties.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

Personally, I'd go for clip gain automation as this leaves track volume for normal mixing duties.

Awesome. Thanks for the information! :)

Would you please elaborate on clip gain automation, and how that is done?

EDIT:

Now, experimenting with how to do this, I'm running into issues.

MIDI CC #92 is listed as "Tremolo level", but it's technically undefined and doesn't do anything. I tried using an Expression controller, but Cakewalk doesn't allow me to draw a Sine pattern (or any of the other patterns below it) in the Controller Pane or Automation to create the effect.

Then I noticed, in the Cakewalk 30th Anniversary FX Chain add-on, Tremolo is there and works perfectly. (However, I wouldn't mind finding other ways).

Any other ideas, and what might I be missing? Thanks again!

Edited by Dave G

Try "pulse" in the Pro Channel "one knob" effects.    It's pretty effective , but without a control for the volume of the effect. The workaround for that is to slide it under a duplicate of the track without the effect.  There is also a tremolo unit in the TH3 guitar amp sim with full control.     Sometimes just a portion of a clip with the "pulse" is cool.     mark