Using Cakewalk on two different computer installations

Ricky Wayne Hunt

Question

I have to use Cakeealk on two different computers.  I am thinking of putting all plugins on a thumb/hard drive and carrying it and the iLok and Waves thumb drive each time I switch. Also, there's the plugin menu layouts, key bindings, etc. These could be put on disk too.  Or maybe using a network drive to put everything on??? Please advise with any thoughts on this working or something else I could do. Thanks.

9 answers to this question

i keep the licenses on my ilok and waves thumb drives, then use the installers to install the plugins (as expected) but use freefile sync to keep the plugin folders, settings / presets, and content sync'd to the cloud and then sync from cloud to devices (laptop and desktop machines). whichever machine is the "current one" where i may have installed updates or new presets, overwrites the cloud set and then the switchover is simply move the USB keys and hit the sync, and after a few minutes (most times) it's all done. application updates occur via the vendor plugin managers as normal.

the nice thing about the keys and cloud - if i'm doing something with my friends setup, i can quickly load the plugins, load the presets and content, and activate and get to work. although most times i'll just bring my laptop and drives. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rsinger said:

I have a DAW and laptop and CbB and Live 11 and most plugins installed on both. Most plugins allow 2 installs, they just can't be run simultaneously. I only have a few wave plugins (since I need to buy 2 copies).

if you use a high quality usb key (don't skimp on this) to host your Waves licenses, you can readily switch between machines, just not be able to run both at the same time. my second secret trick is to have a bunch of free plugins (or paid ones without restriction) which i can substitute - i have the Cakewalk ones from Sonar 7 onwards, and a bunch of free ones which provide a lot of capabilities (and this how i have several friends setup their systems). so, probably 80/20 - 80% of the time i'm using Waves, Slate, etc and other single machine at a time plugins, and 20% of the time using freebies or builtin.

• Thanks 1

I always have had 2 computers that are loaded with everything. Once set up it’s just a matter of keeping the second one updated from time to time if you don’t use it every day. In my case it’s a laptop for mobile recording. 
As said most vendors have no limit on installing but some only allow 2. 
Only thing I have on a dongle is Cubase and Wave Lab. The rest use eLicencer. 
And now even upgrading the OS hard drive is only a 20 minute task once I discovered the Samsung Magician.  
I have 3 other laptops and computers that also have Cakewalk and a lot of stuff installed.  I use the demo of Addictive drums and I ended up with 4 license for my Air products. So only Melodyne is missing for me on most of those machines. 

19 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

if you use a high quality usb key (don't skimp on this) to host your Waves licenses, you can readily switch between machines, just not be able to run both at the same time. 

I'm aware of that, but it's easier not to have to worry about a dongle and I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

On 10/17/2023 at 10:01 AM, Glenn Stanton said:

i keep the licenses on my ilok and waves thumb drives, then use the installers to install the plugins (as expected) but use freefile sync to keep the plugin folders, settings / presets, and content sync'd to the cloud and then sync from cloud to devices (laptop and desktop machines). whichever machine is the "current one" where i may have installed updates or new presets, overwrites the cloud set and then the switchover is simply move the USB keys and hit the sync, and after a few minutes (most times) it's all done. application updates occur via the vendor plugin managers as normal.

the nice thing about the keys and cloud - if i'm doing something with my friends setup, i can quickly load the plugins, load the presets and content, and activate and get to work. although most times i'll just bring my laptop and drives. 🙂 

Thanks. I just downloaded FreeFileSync. The granularity and ability to control sync direction sold me.

On 10/17/2023 at 4:28 PM, Glenn Stanton said:

if you use a high quality usb key (don't skimp on this) to host your Waves licenses,

I'm wondering what you mean by high quality. Waves tech support told me I could use any USB drive and that even the smallest one would have much more capacity than I need for my < 30 plugins. So I plan to use one of the SanDisk 8GB drives I use for clean installing Windows.

16 minutes ago, Bill Phillips said:

I'm wondering what you mean by high quality. Waves tech support told me I could use any USB drive and that even the smallest one would have much more capacity than I need for my < 30 plugins. So I plan to use one of the SanDisk 8GB drives I use for clean installing Windows.

High quality would mean reputable known brand as opposed to crap found on Aliexpress or Temu

• Like 1

it's not capacity - it's lifespan. the memory used in USB keys degrade over time and also poor connector quality can cause headaches with the Waves licenses (not exactly sure why). so spend the $40 on a high quality brand instead of a generic $5 or $10. i replaced my cheaper Sandisk one with a high end Sandisk model 2 years ago now and 0% issues.

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Thanks 1