Synth Rack Improvements

Horace Mix

Hello! 

I don't know if anybody else proposed this before but, I've been wanting to duplicate a Track and have the option to also duplicate the associated Synth in the Synth Rack.

For example, if I have a Kontakt instance with strings, and I want to duplicate the MIDI Track and the Synth Audio Track, would be great if I could also duplicate the Kontakt instance within the Synth Rack so I can render separated audio when freezing the Synth Track instead of having to add a new Kontakt instance and load each instrument again. 

Also, I wish I could drag and drop the Synths within the Synth Rack to change its order. So If I modify the order within the Track View, I can also modify the order within the Synth Rack View. This way it would be less confusing. 

Thanks for reading and I hope you find the idea useful and plausible to be realised. 

Regards

Horace

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/14/2023 at 3:46 PM, Horace Mix said:

Hello! 

I don't know if anybody else proposed this before but, I've been wanting to duplicate a Track and have the option to also duplicate the associated Synth in the Synth Rack.

For example, if I have a Kontakt instance with strings, and I want to duplicate the MIDI Track and the Synth Audio Track, would be great if I could also duplicate the Kontakt instance within the Synth Rack so I can render separated audio when freezing the Synth Track instead of having to add a new Kontakt instance and load each instrument again. 

Also, I wish I could drag and drop the Synths within the Synth Rack to change its order. So If I modify the order within the Track View, I can also modify the order within the Synth Rack View. This way it would be less confusing. 

Thanks for reading and I hope you find the idea useful and plausible to be realised. 

Regards

Horace

The synth is duplicated when you duplicate the original track with the synth.  I actually want the opposite.  I want the ability to duplicate the track without duplicating the synth, for when I set up multi-timberal synths where I'd only be using the single, original plugin. 

7 hours ago, SloHand Solo said:

The synth is duplicated when you duplicate the original track with the synth.  I actually want the opposite.  I want the ability to duplicate the track without duplicating the synth, for when I set up multi-timberal synths where I'd only be using the single, original plugin. 

To me this is a different issue. To me it is related to track management for which I use the Track View, not the Synth Rack View.  Are you saying that you want track management abilities added to the Synth Rack View?

UPDATE: See replies below.

Edited by User 905133
to refer readers to subsequent replies

3 hours ago, SloHand Solo said:

Use Append Instrument Track instead of Duplicate.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SloHand Solo said:

I want the ability to duplicate the track without duplicating the synth

Right-click > Duplicate Track... only duplicates that track, not both, unless they are both Selected.

3 hours ago, Promidi said:

Use Append Instrument Track instead of Duplicate.

Works on both synth+midi & Instrument tracks but only for some synths??  It's often grayed out for some reason.
And in the one case I used it, it put the track in a different Track folder (the last one) and moved that folder between the synth and the 1st MIDI track.  Only one word for that: Screwy!

Edited by sjoens
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, sjoens said:

Right-click > Duplicate Track... only duplicates that track, not both, unless they are both Selected.

Works on both synth+midi & Instrument tracks but only for some synths??  It's often grayed out for some reason.
And in the one case I used it, it put the track in a different Track folder (the last one) and moved that folder between the synth and the 1st MIDI track.  Only one word for that: Screwy!

Append Instrument Track only works if:

1. The synth has multiple audio outputs; and
2. The existing tracks are set to unique MIDI channel outputs/ Synth Audio inputs.

If you've inserted the instrument as a "Per-Output Instrument Track", this is done automatically for you.

If you've not, you need to go through all tracks using that synth making sure they have a unique MIDI output channel, and an audio input from unique audio synth output.  Ideally, these should be in order, e.g.:

Midi Channel 1 / Synth Audio Output 1
Midi Channel 2 / Synth Audio Output 2
etc..

Don't forget you also have to set up the routing within the VSTi itself, ensuring MIDI Channel 1 goes to Audio 1, MIDI Channel 2 goes to Audio 2 etc.

Simple Instrument Tracks have a MIDI output channel of "none" (meaning all), so at the very least you'll need to change this to Channel 1.

• Like 1