Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth disappeared - need ideas for GM replacement

Lee Jackson

6 hours ago, John Vere said:

If you really want to use Cakewalk you would have to OPEN the midi file from the Menu or the desktop. If you have the outputs selected you will get all the midi tracks but no TTS'1. The midi tracks will be assigned to the output that was the top of the list. This is the default and why you have to de select the midi devices listed to trigger the insertion of the TTS-1. 

This can work if that device can play GM files. I have a Sound Canvas and a Korg 05/rw as example which are both GM.  Then if you add the TTS-1 to the project you now have to change each tracks output. So it's much faster to simply uncheck the outputs first.

I really don't find that solution (unchecking outputs first) faster, or easier in day-to-day usage. For one thing, when you open a MIDI file in Cakewalk, all MIDI outputs are set to the same thing, and it is very easy to change them all at once. I use it all the time. 1 - use the "Open" menu to open the MIDI file. 2 - insert (at least 1) TTS-1 instrument. 3 - Select all the opened MIDI tracks, and change the output to TTS-1.  -Viola. (-Tip - lower the default output level of the TTS-1 track.) Play.

Additionally - optionally, you can then spend time assigning the Bank & Patch selection/display, and even Volume, Reverb & Chorus on each MIDI track - Inspector view to your taste. -The catch there is that sometimes MIDI files contain embedded commands that override those initial track settings as you play the file back. -But really, is that so hard?   It requires changing no system settings at all.

Oh, also be careful, as with TTS-1 opening some types of MIDI files, this is where the infamous no-warning crash happens - for me anyway. Right after setting it up as above, and hitting play.  So, if I am concerned about that, I will save the project, usually as a proper project file, and then hit play! 😅 Your mileage may vary!

Edited by JnTuneTech
clarifications...

The OP was only interested in pre viewing midi files. They already seem to be aware of the rest. This thread and a few others are a result of the sudden removal of the MS GM player as an option in the midi device menu. Of course nobody will really miss it. But this one situation is why the OP posted. I gave them a solution with just drag midi files to Media Player. This is most certainly a simple solution.  

On 10/14/2023 at 10:09 AM, Quinellipe Zorn said:

Thanks; I guess there's no way, if I have a bunch of MIDI devices already listed, for TTS1 to be a default?

I see what you mean now.
Personally, my Yamaha keyboard's sounds are much better than TTS-1 or MS GS Wavetable that it's not a problem for any MIDI file to be played on it, the default.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

5 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

I see what you mean now.
Personally, my Yamaha keyboard's sounds are much better than TTS-1 or MS GS Wavetable that it's not a problem for any MIDI file to be played on it, the default.

Same goes for the SW1000XG (installed in a 2nd PC controlled via MIDI) I have here.

On 10/14/2023 at 7:40 AM, mettelus said:

Correct, the auto-insert of TTS-1 will only occur with no MIDI outputs selected. Although it is not a huge deal to add external synths once CbB is opened, it can be a PITA to remember to disable them when closing CbB.

As far as routing, I would highly recommend considering track templates for any instruments you take the time to set up. After loading a MIDI file you can simply insert track templates and route the MIDI outputs as appropriate, OR... another option is to simply shift-drag MIDI clips into the correct synth track from the open MIDI file (even with outputs selected on load), which may be far quicker. If you get to a complex project that you use often, a project template would be helpful, but there wouldn't be a way around getting MIDI data from the MIDI file itself to point to the correct track other than mentioned above. There would always be some "sorting" involved.

Thanks; I have templates.  I was just hoping there was some way to recapture the zero-work option.  Too bad but life goes on.  

• Like 1

On 10/15/2023 at 9:56 AM, 57Gregy said:

I see what you mean now.

It's not a "problem" per se, but it's extra clicks compared to just opening a MIDI file and pressing play.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hating the new version of Cakewalk with TTS vice the old were you could edit instruments using GS names/   Now i have to keep bouncing around tin the tts files looking for the instruments.  Any way of reloading old cakewalk??   Some of these TTS files sound different on my Yamahas, than as edited on desktop.

Frustrated

2 hours ago, David Phillips said:

Hating the new version of Cakewalk with TTS vice the old were you could edit instruments using GS names/   Now i have to keep bouncing around tin the tts files looking for the instruments.  Any way of reloading old cakewalk??   Some of these TTS files sound different on my Yamahas, than as edited on desktop.

Never mind.  I thought you were saying you wanted the old version of TTS-1.

Edited by User 905133
edited old reply out

There’s always the Steinberg Halion 

https://steinberg.help/halion/v7/en/halion/topics/managing_sounds/general_midi_files_working_with_t.html#:~:text=The Slot Rack has 64,programs at the same time.&text=You can use the MediaBay,and preview different file types.&text=General MIDI Files-,HALion can play back files,General MIDI (GM) format.

It works just like the TTS1 if you open a GM midi file in Cubase . 
There’s even a free version that I think will work once  you find the sounds. It’s not exactly clear.

I have it because I have Cubase 7. I’ve never bothered to see if I can open it in Cakewalk. I think it’s stored in Cubase folder system somewhere.  Definitely a great sounding synth.