Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth disappeared - need ideas for GM replacement

Lee Jackson

First off, don't judge me for using it, but I was using the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth as an instrument on my laptop as a quick and oh-so-dirty way of prototyping songs. Now, for some reason, after the last upgrade it disappeared - I don't know if CbB is to blame, or if the recent installation of Dorico or NotePerformer is to blame. Anyway, not the point.

I need a GM-compatible, down-to-the-bones replacement for it. Preferably something that's *really* plug and play, but wouldn't interfere with Dorico's *ahem* Generic ASIO driver. Would someone please recommend a fast replacement? I would be most grateful. Thank you!

If you have Cakewalk installed and set as Windows default for opening midi files you most certainly don’t need to suffer the MS wavetable synth. 

If you have nothing selected in preferences/midi/devices/ output. The TTS-1 will automatically open with Cakewalk when you double click an Midi file. TTS-1 is a GM synth so plays all GM files no problem. It is 10 x the sound quality of the MS wavetable. 
I only use it to preview download midi files. If I like file I replace the instruments with better stuff.  

Edited by JohnnyV
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, JohnnyV said:

If you have Cakewalk installed and set as Windows default for opening midi files you most certainly don’t need to suffer the MS wavetable synth. 

If you have nothing selected in preferences/midi/devices/ output. The TTS-1 will automatically open with Cakewalk when you double click an Midi file. TTS-1 is a GM synth so plays all GM files no problem. It is 10 x the sound quality of the MS wavetable. 
I only use it to preview download midi files. If I like file I replace the instruments with better stuff.  

In case you or anyone sees this before I go digging, as it's not obvious to me...what to do if one *does* have outputs selected?  I mean, besides deselect them all and open the file.  I'm sure it's something obvious I'm not thinking of...thanks to anyone...

On 10/6/2023 at 9:54 PM, Quinellipe Zorn said:

In case you or anyone sees this before I go digging, as it's not obvious to me...what to do if one *does* have outputs selected?  I mean, besides deselect them all and open the file.  I'm sure it's something obvious I'm not thinking of...thanks to anyone...

The simple version: insert TTS-1 and route your MIDI tracks to it.

• Like 2

This has unearthed a larger problem: I have no MIDI devices. None whatsoever. I only had the MS GS Wavetable device on my laptop to begin with. Now, thanks to installing the latest CbB update, I don't have a damned thing showing up in my list (see attached). 

I've downloaded the latest Realtek audio driver from my laptop manufacturer (Sager) and installed it, just to be sure, and nope, it didn't put a MIDI driver on my system. I'm not going to be able to use TTS-1 without a MIDI driver of some sort. This is where I need some suggestions again, please.

CbBMIDIDevicesLJ20231008.jpg

42 minutes ago, Lee Jackson said:

This has unearthed a larger problem: I have no MIDI devices. None whatsoever. I only had the MS GS Wavetable device on my laptop to begin with. Now, thanks to installing the latest CbB update, I don't have a damned thing showing up in my list (see attached). 

I've downloaded the latest Realtek audio driver from my laptop manufacturer (Sager) and installed it, just to be sure, and nope, it didn't put a MIDI driver on my system. I'm not going to be able to use TTS-1 without a MIDI driver of some sort. This is where I need some suggestions again, please.

I guess you haven’t watched my tutorials. I highly recommend you do and then you will see what is common practices for playback of Midi GM files in Cakewalk. 

Nobody who understands and uses Cakewalk or any DAW for that matter, has used the ( Dreaded) MS GM synth since 1994 or something. Most DAWs include a GM soft synth. Cakewalk has had the TTS1 for so long now it’s becoming worn out. 
As said the MS GM synth is sooo outdated it has been discontinued.  
You don’t see anything on the list because of its removal from supported apps as well as I guess you don’t own any midi hardware. 
That list is now exclusively for choosing midi hardware devices. Including the midi ports of Audio or Midi Interfaces 

I’m afraid a Realtek sound chip is not a midi device and never was. Do you see midi ports on your laptop?  
Only midi hardware comes with midi drivers. 
But you don’t need a midi device to play and use midi in any Sequencer including Cakewalk. Please watch the tutorials and then let us know how you’re making out And for sure ask questions. 

Edited by JohnnyV

1 hour ago, Lee Jackson said:

couple of thoughts

-- if you're stuck using the realtek drivers for your audio out, ok, but if you have an IO device which supports better audio, i'd disable the realtek ones. and use the WASAPI shared or exclusive modes (or if the IO device has proper ASIO drivers use those).

-- you do not need a MIDI device to play MIDI via virtual instruments (such as TTS-1, SI- instruments like drums, piano, strings, bass) etc (assuming you install the SI instruments that come with CbB). the MIDI on a given track is sent to the VI and then out via your audio output.

-- in 99% of cases, people are looking to "disable" the MS GM synth as it has had a lot of issues and none have been given attention... not sure why you "lost it" from an update, but there are numerous OS updates happening and its possible one of those recent ones (e.g. i've had 6 updates in 2 weeks now) which could have disabled it (esp Edge updates are notorious for screwing things up lately)

Edited by Glenn Stanton

Just to point this feature out without you needing to dig for it, if you right click a MIDI file and "Open with..." Cakewalk without any MIDI output devices selected (as you show above), Cakewalk will open and insert TTS-1 automatically and route each channel to the "best fit" audio for each MIDI channel in the file. That feature has been around a long time now.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2023 at 8:34 AM, John Vere said:

I gave you the keys to the car ( The Video). But you can choose to push it still if you like. I think the keys would be an easier way to get to were you want to go.  

I literally didn't understand you meant the video was the answer, please consider mere stupidity in the part of my reply rather than refusing to read your advice.  I just thought your video was part of your sig.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Quinellipe Zorn said:

I literally didn't understand you meant the video was the answer, please consider mere stupidity in the part of my reply rather than refusing to read your advice.  I just thought your video was part of your sig.

@John Vere sorry, I still don't see the answer to the question "what to do if one *does* have outputs selected?  I mean, besides deselect them all and open the file",  as I asked?  I really have looked through/am reading the closed captioning as well now to your video, and I'm not seeing how to get around the problem that of wanting to just open a midi file (CWP or otherwise) and have it just play MIDI without doing as @57Gregy mentions and, similarly, without me reassigning MIDI outputs to one of my synths (hardware or soft) and, of course, WITHOUT me having to disable all my MIDI devices, as I asked anyone here.  

It seems to me that the answer is it is not possible?

On 10/8/2023 at 6:09 PM, mettelus said:

Just to point this feature out without you needing to dig for it, if you right click a MIDI file and "Open with..." Cakewalk without any MIDI output devices selected (as you show above), Cakewalk will open and insert TTS-1 automatically and route each channel to the "best fit" audio for each MIDI channel in the file. That feature has been around a long time now.

Thanks, though that's what I'm trying to avoid, having to deselect things.  Doing that often causes CW to forget instrument associations, and anyway it then becomes something I have to do over again.  

If I have to deselect everything, I may as well just direct the MIDI tracks to some synth of my choice, as either way I now have manual work to do I didn't have to do before.

Correct, the auto-insert of TTS-1 will only occur with no MIDI outputs selected. Although it is not a huge deal to add external synths once CbB is opened, it can be a PITA to remember to disable them when closing CbB.

As far as routing, I would highly recommend considering track templates for any instruments you take the time to set up. After loading a MIDI file you can simply insert track templates and route the MIDI outputs as appropriate, OR... another option is to simply shift-drag MIDI clips into the correct synth track from the open MIDI file (even with outputs selected on load), which may be far quicker. If you get to a complex project that you use often, a project template would be helpful, but there wouldn't be a way around getting MIDI data from the MIDI file itself to point to the correct track other than mentioned above. There would always be some "sorting" involved.

Edited by mettelus

Ok, I see you actually use your outputs for hardware. 

No problem, just open a music player app and drag and drop the file to the playlist and it will play ( using the MS GM synth ? ) 

I just tested this on W10  22H2. Both Win Amp and Windows Media player play the file. I notice that Cakewalk no longer has the MS GM synth as an option so it would seem that this utility has been removed only from Cakewalk and not other apps yet. 

Other DAW's have built in GM players like Cubase uses the Halion synth. 

If you really want to use Cakewalk you would have to OPEN the midi file from the Menu or the desktop. If you have the outputs selected you will get all the midi tracks but no TTS'1. The midi tracks will be assigned to the output that was the top of the list. This is the default and why you have to de select the midi devices listed to trigger the insertion of the TTS-1. 

This can work if that device can play GM files. I have a Sound Canvas and a Korg 05/rw as example which are both GM.  Then if you add the TTS-1 to the project you now have to change each tracks output. So it's much faster to simply uncheck the outputs first. 

This is Win Amp playing a midi file I just downloaded. It was how I previewed midi files a long time ago until I discovered the TTS-1 trick. 

Screenshot (611).png

Edited by John Vere