Your Secret is Safe with Me - revisited

Keith Wilby

I posted an earlier version of this about a year ago and got some really good feedback - thanks again for that. It's the final song that I'm completing for an "album" drop onto the streaming services so I'd welcome your input. I've replaced some of the VSTs on the previous version with real guitars and I've struggled a bit with mixing the lead guitar properly. Hopefully it won't make your ears bleed too badly.

https://www.bandlab.com/post/03c61f43-7f5b-ee11-9937-000d3a41ec2a

• Like 3

Hey Keith , I loved the tremolo guitars and your vocal mix.   Entire mix sounds nice !                                   When you get time check out "Pancake" .  It's a free auto pan vst with an adjustable preset called  "slow walker".  It works perfect for center panned lead breaks like the one in this song.  For some reason sounds way better than automating the pan yourself and sounds better than the guitar being static panned to center.   

Enjoyed the song again ..         mark

Edited by mark skinner
  • Thanks 1

Hey, great job on this Keith! Really well composed, produced and performed. Excellent guitar work, overall sound is good, but seems like the lead section could perhaps be a little more upfront. Maybe cut the reverb a bit or make it less roomy sounding. Really loved the backwards piano at the beginning!

• Like 1

Excellent. Great song, instrument arrangements, vox, performances. The guitars totally work. The gradual, steady build up in the song sets up the guitar solo perfectly. Have to agree with Ross's comment about the backwards piano as the intro (homage to Yes's Roundabout??) Would love to hear this song on the radio🎶🎶🎶🎶

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ross Smithe said:

Hey, great job on this Keith! Really well composed, produced and performed. Excellent guitar work, overall sound is good, but seems like the lead section could perhaps be a little more upfront. Maybe cut the reverb a bit or make it less roomy sounding. Really loved the backwards piano at the beginning!

Hi Keith

I agree with everything Ross said - great job

Nigel

On 9/30/2023 at 4:04 PM, KSband said:

I wonder if more reverb/delay would smooth out the guitar lead, it doesn't quite sound like it's in the same space.

Yeah I'd been thinking that too so I'm glad you mentioned it unprompted. I'd put some subtle delay onto it to try and blend it a bit better but I'll give some chorus a go too. 👍

• Like 1