inserting instruments - SOLVED

greg54

I just upgraded to the last version of CbB.  And when I went to insert a synth, there is nothing there to allow me to insert Toontrack's SD3 or any other synth.    It used to be that when you clicked on Insert, you had an option to find the synth or instrument you wanted to insert.  Not anymore.  How do you do it in this final version ?  

Edited by greg54

In the photo below, in the blue circle on top, you can see that there is nothing to allow me to insert something like Toontrack SD3 or EZBass or any other MIDI instrument.

in the blue circle on bottom, I right clicked on it to see if I could insert it that way.  No.  I can't insert any MIDI instruments.  If I reinstall, I would have to uninstall CbB, and wouldn't I lose all the plugins and have to install them all over again?  How would that work?  (Hope I don't have to.)

CbB insert.png

15 minutes ago, JohnnyV said:

But yes workspaces can remove important features. But that said mine never have changed as part of a update. Use Advanced or none. 

In the past it was possible for someone to tweak a factory Workspace and save it with the same name, thereby leading to being overwritten. Not sure if that was with full installations and updates.  Not sure either of the circumstances that lead to the new update server leading to a full or partial installation. 

The standard advice has been, if you tweak a factory Workspace, rename it with your own unique name so it wouldn't be overridden.

Also a few years ago CbB did make some changes/corrections to factory Workspaces.

11 minutes ago, greg54 said:

I don't understand the workspace being set to Advanced or "none."   How do you do that?

"Advanced" is the name of a factory Workspace; it is not a mode (as in Basic or Advanced). I assume you know that the place to change Workspaces is in the upper right corner of the CbB desktop, but maybe not.

The default colors might be difficult for some to see:  image.png but users can change that: image.png .

Edited by User 905133
added links to images of the Workspace selector box

Quick test: In the upper right corner, try changing the Basic Workspace to either "none" or "Advanced."

5 minutes ago, greg54 said:

I just watched Mike Enjo's video of Workspaces.  I will work with that and see what happens.

Thanks!

I have been a big fan of using Workspaces.  They are quite powerful. 

I am not sure that's the reason why you can't insert anything, it you can quickly rule it out if that's not the cause.

I never use the Basic Workspace, but I would be surprised if that doesn't allow you to insert things. But worth a quick diagnostic test.

Edited by User 905133

25 minutes ago, greg54 said:

I changed nothing.  I only installed the latest update.  The update changed everything.

unfortunately, install updates on CbB always resets a bunch of stuff. one of the reasons i create about a dozen custom workspaces and backups for INI files etc. 🙂 the custom workspaces don't get overridden, and i can tweak as i update my templates as well to better create views and settings for the task at hand. need to edit buss automation? i use the bussview workspace which hides most of the tracks and shows all busses on the "busses trackview" etc. very fast to switch around and reuse. easy to create and save and update as you need to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greg54 said:

In the photo below, in the blue circle on top, you can see that there is nothing to allow me to insert something like Toontrack SD3 or EZBass or any other MIDI instrument.

in the blue circle on bottom, I right clicked on it to see if I could insert it that way.  No.  I can't insert any MIDI instruments.  If I reinstall, I would have to uninstall CbB, and wouldn't I lose all the plugins and have to install them all over again?  How would that work?  (Hope I don't have to.)

CbB insert.png

Sorry to be obvious but did you click on "Soft Synth"?

I set the workspace to Advanced.    Then I right clicked on the left side under my tracks and clicked on "Insert Instruments."  Then a box came up that allowed me to choose all my MIDI instruments.  I found what I wanted and inserted it.   It was easier the way it used to be, but at least I'm able to insert instruments.  

Thanks, everyone, for you input!

• Like 1

• greg54 changed the title to inserting instruments - SOLVED