Soundpaint 2.6 Update Available Now

cclarry

2 hours ago, Brian Lawler said:

RE: Adastra   I got a $45 crossgrade offer from Soundpaint for owning 8DIO Anthology (also applies to Adagio Bundle owners).  Regular price is $90 -also- the four parts are available separately for $30 ea.

I also own Anthology and got the crossgrade offer. 

I don't think it's just me, I own maybe a dozen SoundPaint libraries,  including,  3 piano libraries and a few stringed instruments and I find that SoundPaint isn't as good as KONTAKT in terms of realistic sounds for strings,  pianos or guitars. The strings in this walkthrough  video sound a bit synthy to me.

Right now -- and I'm hoping for continued improvement of the Soundpaint platform--where I see Soundpaint strengths are that it is really good for ease of programming and for easy sound design-- it beats out KONTAKT or UVI in that area, IMO.  But it's not on the same level when it comes to sound quality for acoustic based instruments (as compared to say, synths or drum machines). Consequently,  I don't think I'm going to continue buying acoustic based sample libraries for Soundpaint. I found the Soul Guitar so disappointing that I returned it (kudos to Soundpaint for doing returns and being super easy to deal with during that process).  @Brian Lawler, I'd be interested in your take on Soundpaint.  

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

I only own two Soundpaint libraries (in addition to their free offerings).  One is the SG Guitar (I looked it up- their name is "Soul Guitar" and you hated it  😆) that was released soon after Soundpaint came out, and a tenor sax that I got a discount on for owning the 8DIO sample source.  Given that these were $15 or less each, I thought they were/are "good enough".  SP can really get a lot of expressiveness out of the velocity changes, and I thought that the legato scripting also sounded very good, especially for the sax.  Realistic?  Nope! But worth the few $ for me to have a lot of fun getting those sounds out of a keyboard.  I listened to most of Troel's Adastra demo, and I would agree that realism is not there, especially when you are using the scripted vibrato.  It was also clear that he was using the SP capabilities (and he mentioned it in the video) to play some of the samples above and below the natural instrument ranges for effect.  I have a metric ton of orchestral libraries, so that is the main reason I am not interested in it.  A gripe I have with SP- unless I am missing it (and I still don't see a manual to check), we are at version 2.6 and still no support for Aftertouch (channel AT even?)?  CC is supported, but I think they are missing an important tool for more expressive patches.  I also agree that the Soundpaint engine has a nice UI and decent features (except for the AT oversight).

TLDR- No realistic instruments, but maybe some fun sounds to be made.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I also own Anthology and got the crossgrade offer. 

I don't think it's just me, I own maybe a dozen SoundPaint libraries,  including,  3 piano libraries and a few stringed instruments and I find that SoundPaint isn't as good as KONTAKT in terms of realistic sounds for strings,  pianos or guitars. The strings in this walkthrough  video sound a bit synthy to me.

Right now -- and I'm hoping for continued improvement of the Soundpaint platform--where I see Soundpaint strengths are that it is really good for ease of programming and for easy sound design-- it beats out KONTAKT or UVI in that area, IMO.  But it's not on the same level when it comes to sound quality for acoustic based instruments (as compared to say, synths or drum machines). Consequently,  I don't think I'm going to continue buying acoustic based sample libraries for Soundpaint. I found the Soul Guitar so disappointing that I returned it (kudos to Soundpaint for doing returns and being super easy to deal with during that process).  @Brian Lawler, I'd be interested in your take on Soundpaint.  

I always like these post because it shines some light before falling for shiny and new.   Part of me thinks of forking over $45 for this but I forget I rarely use orchestra sounds as it is and couldn't list 20% of the products I have.

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

I always like these post because it shines some light before falling for shiny and new.   Part of me thinks of forking over $45 for this but I forget I rarely use orchestra sounds as it is and couldn't list 20% of the products I have.

I've historically held back a bit in my posts on libraries and plugins. Granted,  you witnessed what happened when I shared a series of very negative experiences with a certain developer. I realize I may tick off developers for being so candid and sharing the positives and negatives -- and I know some of these folks. But I'm a paying customer, and in the end,  I look at the best contribution I -- or any of us -- can make to the community is by being very candid about our opinions and experiences; it's something people can rarely find from influencers.  This forum isn't about benefiting developers-- that's what VI-CONTROL is all about-- this forum is focused on musicians sharing their honest experiences and only sharing the positive experiences and withholding honest criticism isn't really as helpful as it could be to the community-- and I also believe it benefits the best developers (because they listen to customers). 

Edited by PavlovsCat

12 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I've historically held back a bit in my posts on libraries and plugins. Granted,  you witnessed what happened when I shared a series of very negative experiences with a certain developer. I realize I may tick off developers for being so candid and sharing the positives and negatives -- and I know some of these folks. But I'm a paying customer, and in the end,  I look at the best contribution I -- or any of us -- can make to the community is by being very candid about our opinions and experiences; it's something people can rarely find from influencers.  This forum isn't about benefiting developers-- that's what VI-CONTROL is all about-- this forum is focused on musicians sharing their honest experiences and only sharing the positive experiences and withholding honest criticism isn't really as helpful as it could be to the community-- and I also believe it benefits the best developers (because they listen to customers). 

Shiny and new is often a deception. Even more if you do it as a hobby.  When it comes to a library there's two sides where some say it's synthy and others don't.  I also think when one is use to working with Konakt it's hard to switch to other players.