Wavesequencer Release: Theia (Hyperion Synth Player)

Brian Lawler

Since the forum was down I had to find this 'deal' on my own.

On 9/9/2023 at 7:44 PM, Brian Lawler said:

This is free for Hyperion owners.  Use Tracktion Download Manager to install. 

Respect to Tracktion for extending Hyperion by creating a nice player and NOT charging Hyperion owners for it.
Sonible should take a clue from Tracktion and SoundTheory (Gullfoss) that coming up with lite versions doesn't have to be a cash grab (can you tell that I'm still irate about this?).

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 4

I own Hyperion and although Theia shows as owned in my account, it is only registering as a demo so far.  Plenty of time until that matters.  In case anyone feels FOMO'd by the Labor Day coupon, Tracktion trials are three full months, which takes you past Black Friday.  I wouldn't be surprised if another sale comes around by then.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 3

13 hours ago, audioschmaudio said:

@TheSteven you were right, you predicted in July that the player will probably cost at least $35 when released. That was a very close guess. No player above $10 is ever going to see my money though.

AAS Player can play patches of any current AAS library that you own and it contains the free demo library Swatches which has 8 free patches from every current AAS library.

At the moment Tracktion does not have any thing similar.

Tracktion Attracktive only plays Bioteck Sound Pack (not built-in) patches.

from Tracktion user manual:
"Attracktive is a premium quality instrument player built on the Acktion
platform. It features the same powerful engine as our Biotek organic
synthesizer.
This free instrument is designed to be a player for our many Biotek
Sound Packs"

and Theia only plays Hyperion patches

Edited by TheSteven

21 hours ago, Brian Lawler said:

I own Hyperion and although Theia shows as owned in my account, it is only registering as a demo so far.  Plenty of time until that matters.  In case anyone feels FOMO'd by the Labor Day coupon, Tracktion trials are three full months, which takes you past Black Friday.  I wouldn't be surprised if another sale comes around by then.

have same issue, have hyperion but it keeps staying as demo trial once you login inside the plugin,,,seems like some issue at tracktion side

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dee said:

have same issue, have hyperion but it keeps staying as demo trial once you login inside the plugin,,,seems like some issue at tracktion side

I have same issue.
They are aware of it...

1 hour ago, Anxiousmofo said:

Loving the gratis presets but I wish they would show within the preset list in Hyperion, as well. 

They do.
Theia doesn't come with its own presets, it only shows/manipulates existing Hyperion presets.
I originally thought it had its own presets - but I can't find any documentation or physical evidence (see further down) supporting that .

Quote from https://www.tracktion.com/products/theia:

Finding the perfect sound in a vast library of 587 factory presets is easy using the browser which allows you to filter by instrument type, performance or emotion and then further order results by author, type, name and more. Favorites can be set with the click of a button and recalled later just as easily.

When I compared the patch folders
 C:\Users\Steve\OneDrive\Documents\Hyperion\Patches\DemoPatches
C:\Users\Steve\OneDrive\Documents\Wavesequencer_Theia\Patches\FactoryPatches
all 587 Theia patches are duplicates of what's in Hyperion.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

Possibly not since they both have separate patch file caches,  
- but please test and tell us!

I can't test and tell because I have neither. But I might buy one of them one day. I liked the demo version. Just want to know in advance how well they play together. Buying the player first and upgrading to the full version later would only be attractive for me, if they both played together well.

1 hour ago, audioschmaudio said:

But if you create new patches in Hyperion, will they automatically show up in the player? 

Quick play around...

If you point the patch library location in one so that both use the same location - Yes.
I'd point Theia to Hyperion's location because Hyperion folder has other data (Combi Patches) that it may need but that Theia doesn't use.

Note: you can only rename patches within Theia or Hyperion because patch name is embedded in patch. Renaming the Windows patch file (assuming same is true for MAC) does not affect the name that shows in the program.

and you could have found all this out by using the demo versions...

Edited by TheSteven

3 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

and you could have found all this out by using the demo versions...

... if my demo version for Hyperion hadn't already expired 😉

Using the same location for both programs is an idea, but requiring the users to use some kind of hack to achieve the desired behaviour isn't optimal.

Arturia has spoilt me with Analog Lab, I guess. Also what I love about Analog Lab is that if you own the synth, you can jump right into it from within Analog Lab and edit the settings, then jump back. And it has the engines for all their synths. Tracktion should try to achieve that, in my opinion. It's what makes Analog Lab so attractive. Even though I own the V Collection, I often prefer to open Analog Lab rather than an individual synth, because it has all presets in one place.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, audioschmaudio said:

... if my demo version for Hyperion hadn't already expired 😉

Using the same location for both programs is an idea, but requiring the users to use some kind of hack to achieve the desired behaviour isn't optimal.

Lol, OK, sorry.  Hopefully the bitemarks didn't break the skin.

Theia is v1.0 - hopefully they'll get these issues straightened out in future updates.
The dev is pretty responsive to feedback.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2023 at 10:26 PM, TheSteven said:

I have same issue.
They are aware of it...

They do.
Theia doesn't come with its own presets, it only shows/manipulates existing Hyperion presets.
I originally thought it had its own presets - but I can't find any documentation or physical evidence (see further down) supporting that .

Quote from https://www.tracktion.com/products/theia:

When I compared the patch folders
all 587 Theia patches are duplicates of what's in Hyperion.

Thanks.  I thought some of the presets seemed familiar when i initially thumbed through for a minute.   Not sure I'd use Theia as a platform when I already have Hyperion, but good to know. Here I was all excited for new presets.

• Like 1