Are We Entering The Age Of Bullshit Plugins? 🤔

cclarry

8 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Imagine that there are developers who ar not profit driven and do it because they like it. It is possible.  Nothing wrong with making money.  I wanted to be a professional bass angler but somehow it would be more like a job and less enjoyment.

I don't think being a commercial developer is, in itself, problematic. I do know some that don't make deals with influencers that I would consider less than honest. When I first learned about Cory, I shared a link with a developer friend I knew would respect what Cory was doing and wrote -- "You should send him your libraries to review. I think this guy does a public service by doing honest reviews and in the end, those kind of videos make sample library developers libraries better -- but we both know that most developers don't like it. Yet it's good for users and for honest developers. I'd love to see influencers like this succeed."

That developer's response? He was already in touch with Cory and was as big a fan as I am. 

If a developer makes excellent products, prices them fairly, represents them honestly in promotions and communications and treats their customers well, I'm good with them. I greatly appreciate those who make things for free -- I'm very grateful for it -- but it's not a viable or sustainable model that can support a person. There are honest business people out there (of course,  they're imperfect). Unfortunately,  they're not the majority. But they definitely exist. 

Edited by PavlovsCat