Zombie WOOF't

Steev

One of the top priorities of my #1 "Bucket List" is to complete tribute album to one of my all-time favorite artists & ultimate inspirations Frank Zappa. Yeah I know, his music isn't for everybody and falls smack dab in the fringes in far end edges of the catagory of "acquired tastes", but I simple LOVE IT, and I find the challenges of even coming relatively close to understanding how to play/perform it keeps my "chops" up and helps keep me young and alive.ย 

My original goal was to get a band together to play this stuff with me, but I gave up trying to do that over about 20 years ago, because I had such a hard time finding likeminded musicians with the resolve that could, or even willing to even try that weren't already working, without paying them exorbitant sums of money it would take to get them to leave the KILLA BANDS they were already employed in. So, never being one to not finish what I started, instead of giving up, I decided, no matter how long it takes me, I WILL GET IT DONE even if I have to play/perform all the parts and tracks myself.

. Sooooo..... 25-30 years later, give or take about 15, I decided to start laying down tracks in SONAR.. And then "Cakewalk by Bandlab", and now.... I've been exporting from CbB and mixing tracks and stems in Bandlab Studio, and getting VERY GOOD results. ๐Ÿ˜ตย  As in this latest session ofย ZoMbiE WooF'tย 

Over the years I've managed to keep a forward-thinking 'young' attitude towards new technology, learning what it does and why, as well how to use and apply it, and making progress in compiling a growing and an ever expanding and refining collections of my favorite Zappa tunes. But still, not quite up to the highest bar, and not enough for a 2 album set, but still good enough to keep me go'in, keeps my chops up, and "Keep me Young", which is ALWAYS A GOOD THANG considering I believe I'm going to need another 225-to 275 years to complete this "Bucket List" ๐Ÿ˜‚๐ŸคฃโœŒ

https://www.bandlab.com/band/band6873043074588134/zombie-woof-94a6338b-fbf68785

ย 

• Like 4

I'm a Zappa fan, although I don't really like most of his work after the mid seventies. I've worn out Apostrophe, Overnite sensation and One Size fits all. Zombie Woof is one of his craziest songs so pretty ambitious one to cover. I can't even imagine trying to do it so good job.

• Thanks 1

Never got into Zappa so I'd never heard the original. Listened to yours first, then Frank's, and was pretty much blown away by both versions. So, my impressions are both your and Frank's pieces are ridiculously complicated in a great way and over the top in so many great ways....as far as writing it (Frank), let alone playing it (you and Frank's crew for that piece) I'm sure it took a huge amount of work. Mixing both pieces ....I can't even begin to imagine how that must have went. Great work Steev๐ŸŽถ๐ŸŽถ๐ŸŽถ๐ŸŽถ

Edited by Larry T.
clarity
  • Thanks 1

On 8/21/2023 at 10:20 AM, KSband said:

I'm a Zappa fan, although I don't really like most of his work after the mid seventies. I've worn out Apostrophe, Overnight Sensation and One Size fits all. Zombie Woof is one of his craziest songs so pretty ambitious one to cover. I can't even imagine trying to do it so good job.

Thanks all so much, but I can assure you that this was no "overnight sensation". It took me 3 computer/workstation upgrades and literally YEARS of pouring over the score, many hours of finger blistering exercise and all too many times of wanting to 'pitch a fit' and throw my Strat and or MIDI keyboard controllers across the room in frustration and the mind numbing will to finish what I started and NOT GIVE UP.

18 hours ago, Larry T. said:

Never got into Zappa so I'd never heard the original. Listened to yours first, then Frank's, and was pretty much blown away by both versions. So, my impressions are both your and Frank's pieces are ridiculously complicated in a great way and over the top in so many great ways....as far as writing it (Frank), let alone playing it (you and Frank's crew for that piece) I'm sure it took a huge amount of work. Mixing both pieces ....I can't even begin to imagine how that must have went. Great work Steev๐ŸŽถ๐ŸŽถ๐ŸŽถ๐ŸŽถ

Thanks so much Larry! I have always been a die hard fan from day one since I was a kid in the early/mid 60's and heard him play a bicycle on the Steve Allen Show. NOBODY knew what to make of that, including Steve Allen himself...๐Ÿ˜ I can't say that I like all his music, I can't say that I even like all of my own..ย  But I was HOOKED! ๐Ÿ˜

And yeah, it is an enormous amount of work, in every aspect of paying attention to detail in sequencing, performing, mixing, and above all hardest.... Saying NO to weeds, drugs, alcohol, soda pop, even coffee, and ANY & ALL DISTRACTIONS whilst working on music and any type of recording equipment and software if you really want to "Know" & understand what the Hell is going on..ย 

Of course, AFTER a recording session is over, all those rules can be suspended, dissolve, and go up in a puff of smoke. I DO HONESTY BELIEVE that it is very important to know and understand the rules.. And once ya do... The you'll know and understand exactly how to survive intact when ya BREAK THEM! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ŒโœŒ