Playback speed

Franck

Question

Hi all, 

I use cakewalk mainly for recording myself and listening back to improve my guitar playing.

What I'm looking for is a way to easily slow down the playback to see if I'm on time with the metronome or not.

Thanks

12 answers to this question

That might be a good "Feature Request" after the new Sonar rolls out.  I used "Reaper" for a short time , and I seem to remember being able to grab a horizontal slider below the control bar. It changed the playback speed at will. Pretty handy tool for hunting mistakes or learning a complex guitar part.                  ms

If working with a single track, you can ctrl-drag the right edge of a clip to compress/expand the audio. Not ideal, and gets more difficult with more tracks involved.

There was an old program called "Riffstation" that was paid for a while, then made free around May, 2018 (there was an unlocked version of v1.6.3.0 posted as a freebie when it was discontinued). I just tried looking for valid links for it, but didn't find one right off. If you are working with one audio track, that has a simple "tempo" knob, along with other goodies to dissect music tracks so you can play along with them.

This old post has a link in it that seems to still be valid.

Seems any DJ software will have that speed control slider and most will have the option for if the pitch is shifted or not.   Cakewalk is a DAW and they are assuming the last thing you would use if for is as a live DJ tool. The speed tools are there but designed for processing clips in track view. It would be cool to have it as part of the transport but I can think of a few reasons that could create posts here like. " My song is playing slower all of a sudden!" 

• Like 1

Thanks for the answers guys I'll look into that.  Like I said, it's really for practice and improvement that I want to do that.  Right now it's mostly to see if I'm in sync with a metronome and where I'm lagging or not between clics

I use Sonar/Cakewalk to learn and play more in pocket with drums, this is midi then.

You don't really need to listen at slow speed, stopped transport works, just zoom in and see if playing is on grid and line up with metronome or drums or something.

If having drums, have that on another track, and zoom in timeline to see deviation from you playing.

If you really listen to beat/metronome you will notice if so in how you playing end up but your ear is trained too and you will hear it better and better.

• Like 2

This is what I was going to say as well. You can see if your timing is out because all midi should be on the grid lines. But you guitar track will be visible as transient spikes that you will see if they are lined up.

Take note that this will only work if you are using a proper ASIO driver. All other audio modes will be out of sync so it won’t be you but your system that is late. 

• Like 1

It got tossed (actually just hidden initially) because it was only designed to offset the MIDI tempo and Pro Audio/SONAR did not initially have audio-stretching capabilities. You can now get the same effect using Tempo Offset by percent, but you have to enable Audiosnap Clip Follows Project in Autostretch mode on any audio in the project as Promidi mentioned in the first response. And it's not as easily done temporarily because it's destructive to the tempo map and percentages have to be whole numbers so it's not easy to get a perfectly reversible ratio other than 80% and 125%.