Multiple sustain pedals in the Controller Pane

T Boog

Hi, for my piano vst I'm showing 3 sustain pedals in the Controller Pane. I only need one. I don't know how to delete the other two. When I click the little "-" symbol to the left of CC: 64, it disappears but when I save and reopen the project all 3 sustain pedals are back. How do I permanently delete them?  Thanks!

Is it possible that you have CC64 events in the track that are set to different MIDI channels?  Each set of CC64 events on a given MIDI channel will have its own controller lane.

What you might want to do is select all CC64 events in the track (Use select - by Filter), and then set those events to the same MIDI channel.  You can use the Event Inspector to do this quickly.

On a side note, I set MIDI tracks to specific MIDI channels. 

I also set RechannelMIDI=1 in the cakewalk.ini file.  (also can be added in Preferences - File - Initialization File (Advanced)). This is so that when I bounce MIDI clips in a given track, all of the MIDI events of the resultant clip get their MIDI channels changed to match the MIDI channel that the MIDI track itself is set to.

CC lanes only appear when there's data on them.  Each CC lane may be on different channels (1-16, as Promidi mentioned).

Delete all data on lanes you don't want and lanes will disappear.
 1. Select data (right-click & drag)
 2. Hit Del key

Move data to lane you want to keep
 1. Select data (right-click & drag)
 2. Right-click CC name of lane to keep in left panel
 3. Select Move Selected Values to this Lane

Edited by sjoens

I am not sure all three pedals on piano are CC64, more likely different midi CC.

- so if different lanes probably different CC and would say which one on the left

Even list is a good tool to see exactly how the midi looks.

- View menu, choose Event list

On 8/4/2023 at 4:34 AM, Promidi said:

What you might want to do is select all CC64 events in the track (Use select - by Filter), and then set those events to the same MIDI channel

I don't know what "select - by filter" means. I tried right clicking and dragging on the sustain info(I'm guessing this is what u call the "events"?) in the controller pane but it doesn't let me highlight it. I also don't know how to assign/reassign events to diff midi tracks. I appreciate the help but I'm afraid you'll have to dumb it down some more for me too navigate thru it. Thanks!

Events = nodes = triggers.

CC64's are usually all the way up (127) for ON and all the way down (0) for OFF.  Selecting them can be tricky.  There's currently no way to easily select an entire cc lane all at once but I've requested it.

Zoom way out and drag mouse UP across top 1/2 of the cc lane. Then hold Ctrl and drag DOWN across bottom 1/2 to select all cc's. Then hit Delete.

This pic may help:
cc1.jpg.2d6c6129979c4e1f69d36387906fdc89.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Event List view will make it easier to see if the three controller events have the same CC, channel and value (Views Event List or Alt+8 with the clip selected). You may also find it a little easier to select and delete in the Event List -  especially pedal Up/Off events with a value of 0. But if you do want to continue working in the PRV, I recommend Lassoing events to select them by right-click and drag to avoid inadvertently altering controllers or drawing new ones with the Smart tool. Lassoing the top of a controller "tail" selects it so, in the case of sustain controllers that are all 0 or 127, lassoing along the bottom of the lane will select pedal Up/Offs, and lassoing along the top will select pedal Down/Ons

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Tarrell Freeze said:

I don't know what "select - by filter" means.

Select the track containing the Sustain Events (CC64)

Then go Menu > Edit > Select > By Filter.

At the By Filter dialogue box, deselect everything (click “None”)

Select controllers then set Number min and max to 64 and click OK

Once you have done this, only CC64 events will remain selected. 

Then you can use the Event Inspector to change the MIDI Channels of those selected events.

Edited by Promidi
  • Thanks 2

... or delete them.

Thanks Promidi. I never knew how to use Edit > Select > By Filter before.  It will make editing and deleting entire cc lanes more definite.

My feature request was to add Select all to the cc lane's right-click menu to highlight the entire lane, which would be more intuitive for most users.

Edited by sjoens
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

14 hours ago, Tarrell Freeze said:

I don't know what "select - by filter" means. I

"Select by Filter" has been mentioned a number of times in the forum.  For future reference you can search the entire forum by clicking on "Home" near the top of the forum web page and then searching for the phrase in quotation marks in the Search Bar at the end of that line.

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/search/&q="select by filter"&quick=1

5 hours ago, sjoens said:

At 1st glance this window was so unintuitive I had no idea what it was for or how to use it.

Promidi's explanation made me look closer.  :)

FWIW, sadicus' post should be in Tutorials.

10 hours ago, Promidi said:

Select the track containing the Sustain Events (CC64)

Then go Menu > Edit > Select > By Filter.

At the By Filter dialogue box, deselect everything (click “None”)

Select controllers then set Number min and max to 64 and click OK

Once you have done this, only CC64 events will remain selected. 

Then you can use the Event Inspector to change the MIDI Channels of those selected events.

Thanks. I managed to delete one of them. Somehow  I ended up with sustain info between the other two but I'm fine with that. I'll hopefully be rendering the track before too long anyway.

Thanks for all the advice guys!