MultiDock window on the second screen disapears when minimizing it - and it can not be restored

Peter Mangold

Question

Dear All,

since my new install on the new W10 laptop I suffer from a bug in the windows management (but only CW has this problem, other apps are OK).
I hope somebody can give me a direction on how to fix this. Right now I have no more ideas.

I work with 2 screens, the 17"-laptop FHD and a 27" 4K. I use the laptop for the console view and plugins within the MultiDock and the 4K for the track view.
The behavior on the new PC was strange from day one: When I minimize the MultiDock window in the laptop screen it disapears completely (no minimized view) an there is no way to bring it back. The only way to restore it is to close the project an reopen it.

Did somebody see this before me? Any idea is highly welcome!

Best regards,

Peter 

4 minutes ago, Peter Mangold said:

Dear All,

since my new install on the new W10 laptop I suffer from a bug in the windows management (but only CW has this problem, other apps are OK).
I hope somebody can give me a direction on how to fix this. Right now I have no more ideas.

I work with 2 screens, the 17"-laptop FHD and a 27" 4K. I use the laptop for the console view and plugins within the MultiDock and the 4K for the track view.
The behavior on the new PC was strange from day one: When I minimize the MultiDock window in the laptop screen it disapears completely (no minimized view) an there is no way to bring it back. The only way to restore it is to close the project an reopen it.

Best regards,

Peter 

See this discussion and especially the entry by msmcleod. Should solve your problem!
https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/27804-piano-roll-view/

Edited by Sal Sorice
typo

23 minutes ago, Peter Mangold said:

Dear All,

Best regards,

Peter 

I made a new observation:

When I switch the content of the screens it works again. So if the app with the track view runs on the laptop FHD and the MultiDock runs on the 4K then I can see the minimized view on the FHD (but why does it float to the other screen?). Changing back to my original setup the minimized view does not show up, on none of the two screens. Very strange!

5 minutes ago, Peter Mangold said:

I made a new observation:

When I switch the content of the screens it works again. So if the app with the track view runs on the laptop FHD and the MultiDock runs on the 4K then I can see the minimized view on the FHD (but why does it float to the other screen?). Changing back to my original setup the minimized view does not show up, on none of the two screens. Very strange!

image.png.bf35de4d067bf6459267326310b6b203.png

Instead of the windows minimize have you tried using the short cut D? 

When I use one screen I use the D to hide show the multidock. Shift D makes it full screen and once full screen it stays that way as you use the D to hide /show. 

When I use 2 monitors I put the multidock floated to the second monitor. 

I have 2 workspaces, one that is using 1 screen the other with the multi dock on the second monitor. 

I see why you would be doing this backwards but I can also see it would require swapping Views in the Display settings first. I've never done that so not sure if this works. 

But anyway I see no reason the D key would not remove the multidock from the second monitor. 

Just now, JohnnyV said:

When I use one screen I use the D to hide show the multidock. Shift D makes it full screen and once full screen it stays that way as you use the D to hide /show. 

I have 2 workspaces, one that is using 1 screen,  the other with the multi dock on the second monitor. This is another possible work around. Just set this up , save as a workspace and toggle between them. I do this a lot when I need my second monitor to look in folders and run my screen capture etc. But Workspaces are a good way of setting up different viewing options and easily moving between them. 

8 hours ago, JohnnyV said:

I have 2 workspaces, one that is using 1 screen the other with the multi dock on the second monitor. 

I see why you would be doing this backwards but I can also see it would require swapping Views in the Display settings first. I've never done that so not sure if this works. 

But anyway I see no reason the D key would not remove the multidock from the second monitor. 

Tried: Shift D has no effect if the MultiDock is floating (as in my case). Workspaces did not work for me, so I do not use this feature.

I think User 905133 might be right that my problem is related to the display driver. I need to contact my OEM to check if an updated driver is available that I can use on my machine.

"Minimize" makes it disappear to the Task Bar.  Your screenshot shows it to be just that.  The 3 view states are 1. Minimize (minus icon), 2. Restore/Maximize (floating or full view icon), 3. Close (X icon).

Click either floating or full screen icon to "restore" it to the screen.  You can also hit D key for same results. 
FWIW, some closing/opening routines don't seem to always work as expected.
view-state.jpg.8b9946ca3bee8eacc0fd0200850ebe47.jpg

Shift+D does nothing in a 2 screen scenario for me either.

Edited by sjoens

What I'm not liking about this is when I hit D key I would expect focus to toggle between Track View and MultiDock - just like it does when they are both in the main window.  Instead it moves focus to Track View and never again back to MultiDock window when it's reopened.

16 hours ago, sjoens said:

"Minimize" makes it disappear to the Task Bar.  Your screenshot shows it to be just that.  The 3 view states are 1. Minimize (minus icon), 2. Restore/Maximize (floating or full view icon), 3. Close (X icon).

Click either floating or full screen icon to "restore" it to the screen.  You can also hit D key for same results. 
FWIW, some closing/opening routines don't seem to always work as expected.
view-state.jpg.8b9946ca3bee8eacc0fd0200850ebe47.jpg

Shift+D does nothing in a 2 screen scenario for me either.

Hi sjoens, the screenshot shows the way it should be. So this is the expected behavior. My problem is that I do NOT see the minimized icon on the lower lef side.
I only get the behavior of the screenshot with the main app window on the laptop screen and the MultiDock window on the external screen. Unfortunately I need it the other way round (and on W7 I never had this issue...).

Up to now I have no solution. BIOS and graphics driver update did not change anything.
I even made a test in another PC that runs W11 and it shows the same issue. Just a little difference on W11: I can restore the minimized icon by closing and opening again the main app. But also not really an expected behavior there...

In windows forums I found many similar problem reports but I did not find a solution.
At the end this could mean to my 2 screen setup that the MultiDock (with its benfit of the multiple taps) is no longer useful an I have use only the simple floating windows. This would be really a step back in usabiltity to me. So I did not give up yet.

@Peter Mangold Sorry it didn't work.

4 hours ago, Peter Mangold said:

I only get the behavior of the screenshot with the main app window on the laptop screen and the MultiDock window on the external screen. Unfortunately I need it the other way round (and on W7 I never had this issue...).

My Win11 dual screen setup behaves the same way (no view icons lower left corner when MultiDock is main screened).
However, I can hit "D" and the MultiDock will appear/disappear each time.

@User 905133 Don't know about Peter's setup but my laptop uses separate video for external screens and they can operate together at different settings.

Edited by sjoens

Just discovered if I click on the Taskbar CbB icon three times, the view icons miraculously appear.  This might be a Windows bug where MultiDock -as a "child window" - isn't being recognized properly by Windows 11 when displayed in the main view.  Or could also be an allergic reaction from the system using separate video drivers for each screen. :D  Still wondering why the "D" key isn't working for you, tho.

I'll check this out on Windows 10 later.

EDIT: Windows 10 behaves as expected so this is most likely a Windows 11 issue.

Edited by sjoens

On 7/31/2023 at 8:42 PM, User 905133 said:

Long shot: Have you checked the resolution and scaling of the two monitors?  I have had issues on a PC with other programs because of the way either Windows or my graphics card handles the disparity.

4 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Did you try adjusting the display resolution and/or scaling in windows?

1 hour ago, sjoens said:

@User 905133 Don't know about Peter's setup but my laptop uses separate video for external screens and they can operate together at different settings.

Not sure what you mean by this. So far as I have seen Windows 10 has this built in.  Or are you saying your laptop has two independent video cards/chips which can be managed independently of Windows? 

Edited by User 905133
added my first comment for context

20 minutes ago, sjoens said:

Right. The laptop screen uses onboard Intel video while external screen uses nVidia.

Mine are set to different resolutions and scaling w/o any real issues.

I guess I don't understand what point you are trying to make with regard to what I said.  From what I have seen Windows manages different display screens and allows for different settings on each.  It is possible to manually set those settings (e.g., resolution and scaling).  So when I said this: 

On 7/31/2023 at 8:42 PM, User 905133 said:

Long shot: Have you checked the resolution and scaling of the two monitors?  I have had issues on a PC with other programs because of the way either Windows or my graphics card handles the disparity.

my suggestion was to check [implied: adjust] those settings [implied: for each display].

20 minutes ago, sjoens said:

Mine are set to different resolutions and scaling w/o any real issues.

The fact that on many different PC/laptop configurations there might be no problem with Windows handling different display settings (i.e., without any issues), that doesn't mean that (1) with some displays there will never be an issue and (2) that manually adjusting the settings will never be useful to overcome a display discrepancy issue.  

Edited by User 905133
fixed typos