How to make piano roll show up in multidock rather than a seperate view?

SeaDragonet

Question

A while back (several months) when I opened a piano roll it became a new tab in multidock. I must have toggled some setting somewhere and now in all my new files it is not in the multidock and instead takes up the entire screen and I can not see my other tracks while using it. In my old files it still shows up as a new tab in multidock, but any new tracks I make in them show up in the entire screen and not in the multidock.

My old view:

image.thumb.png.a640a1c473624060860ba0da103933b5.png

My new view:

image.thumb.png.045fcd8ef33d2f588fcd2d56a242d08c.png

I have tried dragging those bars up top and they just show different blank spaces, I'm sure they mean something to someone better at making music than I but I have no idea what they do nor do I have any need for them.

I have also looked through the settings and have not found anything obvious.

Based on other posts this seems to be intended, however I was wondering if there was some way to go back to the previous version.

Is there just some setting I need to change or was this a feature in some prior version or something else?

Thanks for the help!

14 answers to this question

1. Click the top right middle Restore button - This will float the PRV

MD1.jpg.fe4ff29509d3b6a1cb63b1b894d33be3.jpg

2. Click PRV window's top left piano key icon and select Dock in MultiDock - PRV is now in the MultiDock

MD2.jpg.2fad6c9d22e7313a804eb421cf0fadfa.jpg

3. Click PRV window's top right middle Maximize button - View should be restored to normal

MD3.jpg.faa0cfffc58a96e2e023ec3879fbc62e.jpg

Edited by sjoens
  • Like 1

Hi SeaDragonet and welcome to the Cakewalk forums.

Tell us how you are invoking the Piano Roll.  Do you use the menu bar (View>Piano Roll) or are you double clicking on the desired clip?  When I have a screen set with the multidock docked at the bottom, I just double click on the desired clip and the Piano Roll opens as a tab in the multidock.

Kind regards,

tecknot

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sjoens said:

Probably your WORKSPACE - currently set to "Basic".  Set it to "None" or drag the PRV window back to the Multidock and let go of the mouse when it turns blue - then save the current Workspace.

I have tried turning the workspace to none, the problem persists. My main problem is that I can not see the Multidock at all, and can not drag the Piano Roll view, let alone into the Multidock. I can access the multidock at the same time as the piano roll if I pop it out and move it to another window, however I can not drag the piano roll into it (or at all) and I can not drag the Multidock back to the bottom while it is still in the Piano Roll.

16 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

What happens if you press D first to invoke the MultiDock and then double click on the clip?

In all of my attempts I have Multidock enabled. Trying it without Multidock enabled or after disabling it and re-enabling Multidock yields no results.

18 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Also, is the bottom  missing because of the way you cropped the image?  

No, it is not. It seems like my view is identical to that of the view of people who use alt 3 to switch to the fullscreen piano view, but it always is like that even by simply double clicking the desired clip and I can not put it into the Multidock.

One more thing of note, I have fully uninstalled Cakewalk and all of my plugins before I came here, and the problem persisted.

I have attached some videos of me trying to make it work, hope it might give some more clarity. My recording software automatically stops recording when it switches for some reason, so it is in 2 parts.

Thank you for your help,

SeaDragonet

Why is that confusing? Many people don't learn the basics of Cakewalks Workspaces. New users and even long time users often jump right into recording stuff without first learning the basic navigation of Cakewalk. This thread is a classic example of not understanding how Cakewalks workspace/ Shortcut keys/Skylight interface functions. 

The default for the PVR is the Multi Dock. This is part of  all the preset workspaces. If you want to change this you set it up how you like and save as a new workspace. 

The multidock works best using a second monitor but it's real easy to use it on one screen once you learn the shortcut keystrokes. 

4 minutes ago, JohnnyV said:

Why is that confusing? Many people don't learn the basics of Cakewalks Workspaces. New users and even long time users often jump right into recording stuff without first learning the basic navigation of Cakewalk. This thread is a classic example of not understanding how Cakewalks workspace/ Shortcut keys/Skylight interface functions. 

The default for the PVR is the Multi Dock. This is part of  all the preset workspaces. If you want to change this you set it up how you like and save as a new workspace. 

The multidock works best using a second monitor but it's real easy to use it on one screen once you learn the shortcut keystrokes. 

I just saw a black rectangle.  I thought maybe there was an error in posting a link; either that or you were being oblique saying the PRV is a big black box (i.e., full of mysteries). Maybe there was a glitch in the forum or my PC.  I have never had embedded videos/links show up as black boxes.  Apologies if I caused you any consternation.     

• Like 1

I see, no problem, I usually try to just post the link. On my cell phone the option seems to have disappeared since the update. I hate the way the video shows as this giant picture.

If @Jesse Jost is listening it would be nice to be able to re size any picture or widgets like that. A tiny thumbnail would be great. 

@JohnnyV Your video doesn't seem to address this specifically.  It caught me a while back and was helped by forum members to fix it.  It happens when one floats a view and disables floating, then maximizes it, then forgets he had done that.  It also happens when one opens a pre-X series or pre-MultiDock project.

A clue to the scenario is the top far right red padlock next to the view state buttons.

There's no real way to figure it out without help.  At least, I haven't found anything in the manual like the example I posted.

Edited by sjoens