Permanently delete Realtek ASIO Audio HD

14 hours ago, Michael Richards said:

That's where I disabled it.

Thats not where you disable your sound devices. Go to your Audio Properties. 

1) Right click the sound icon in your system tray

2) Choose Open sound settings.

3) Then Manage sound devices.

4) Click on the devices you'd like to disable.

On 7/28/2023 at 5:48 PM, Glenn Stanton said:

you need to disable the driver in device manager, not uninstall as windows will see the hardware and load the last known driver. if you disable, it will remain disabled (unless some update reactivate it) and it won't keep reappearing. same for the realtek etc any drivers except ASIO (which can be uninstalled usually, if not, disable it).

Disabling Nvidia drivers in device manager is the way to simplify your sound options although, whenever you install a new Nvidia driver update from GeForce Experience it will reenable them so you have to go back in to device manager and disable them again.

One would think that the new Nvidia driver would recall the previous state that they were disabled but that is currently not the case.

Realtek integrated sound can be disabled in the bios in most cases.

Edited by RexRed

23 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

so your saying that the disabled driver got re-enabled?  i just leave my devices alone except for the realtek.

image.png.f9eaf79a87f6b886bdd826e0f99e497f.png

and just use my Behringer ASIO drivers.

Someone once told me that Behringer's ASIO drivers are not actually ASIO but a rebranded form of ASIO for All.

Edited by RexRed

6 minutes ago, RexRed said:

Someone once told me that Behringer's ASIO drivers are not actually ASIO but a rebranded form of ASIO for All.

That is only true for the very bottom of the line stuff. Once you take a step up from the bottom, they do have "real" Asio drivers.

Another case of Behringer shooting themselves in the foot by further messing up their reputation.

@RexRed @Starship Krupa the lower end units use the ASIO4ALL, the HD and larger units have real ASIO drivers - one of the reasons i picked the UMC202HD - it uses the same ASIO driver as my larger UMC1820 unit.

as a note: i have ASIO4ALL installed but don't use it EXCEPT for a couple of older VST synths via Tone2 where is seems to work the best of all drivers. no idea why, but it just does. so it's hanging around solely for that. otherwise everything else is either the default system drivers or disabled 🙂 

33 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

That is only true for the very bottom of the line stuff. Once you take a step up from the bottom, they do have "real" Asio drivers.

Another case of Behringer shooting themselves in the foot by further messing up their reputation.

Yea, I bought two of them, only to find out they are stereo output only and not true ASIO.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC1820--behringer-u-phoria-umc1820-usb-audio-interface

They both sit in a junk drawer.

They are brand new I would sell the pair for $200 plus shipping any takers?

3 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

@RexRed @Starship Krupa the lower end units use the ASIO4ALL, the HD and larger units have real ASIO drivers - one of the reasons i picked the UMC202HD - it uses the same ASIO driver as my larger UMC1820 unit.

as a note: i have ASIO4ALL installed but don't use it EXCEPT for a couple of older VST synths via Tone2 where is seems to work the best of all drivers. no idea why, but it just does. so it's hanging around solely for that. otherwise everything else is either the default system drivers or disabled 🙂 

The 1820 is not a true ASIO driver (so I have been told) it is a rebranded ASIO4All driver dressed up to look like an ASIO driver.

1 minute ago, Glenn Stanton said:

nope, it's definitely not ASIO4ALL. 🙂 its a real ASIO driver which works most excellently.

I beg to differ. It says ASIO but it is not.

Edited by RexRed

Behringer makes a decent ASIO driver for most of it's products. I have an X air 18 and I have never had an issue with it. Its an amazing piece of gear. The performance on RTL is a bit sub standard compared to my Focusrite and Motu but it most certainly is an ASIO driver. 

If you want proof simply open sync and caching. None ASIO driver do not show "Use ASIO Reported latency"  

Screenshot (1307).png

There are a few VSTis that still require an ASIO output too work in stand-alone mode, but most of them have shifted over to a "Windows Audio" option. I did keep ASIO4ALL loaded for a while just for those VSTis in stand-alone mode, but finally shifted to running them inside a DAW even just to screw around.

12 hours ago, RexRed said:

For Berhinger's low end interfaces: http://forum.cakewalk.com/Behringer-ASIO-drivers-disappeared-m3294586.aspx

So they had ASIO driver which was not ASIO4ALL but at some moment they have "cleaned" all references to it (without explanation). It probable was some re-branded generic driver for which license/support was over, but that is just speculation.

8 hours ago, azslow3 said:

So they had ASIO driver which was not ASIO4ALL but at some moment they have "cleaned" all references to it (without explanation).

that's because they're called "UMC Driver" 🙂 basically in their downloads, lower units clearly show ASIO4ALL as the driver, and all the bigger units they call the UMC drivers. i can go as low as 8 samples (0.5ms) on my 202HD unit but typically don't go lower than 64 samples which is about 1.5ms each way so about 6ms total round trip. and only use it when recording live stuff. otherwise for mixing and virtual instruments, i just keep it at 2048 samples (about 100ms round trip).

52 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

that's because they're called "UMC Driver" 🙂 basically in their downloads, lower units clearly show ASIO4ALL as the driver, and all the bigger units they call the UMC drivers. i can go as low as 8 samples (0.5ms) on my 202HD unit but typically don't go lower than 64 samples which is about 1.5ms each way so about 6ms total round trip. and only use it when recording live stuff. otherwise for mixing and virtual instruments, i just keep it at 2048 samples (about 100ms round trip).

My point is that Behringer had ASIO driver for lower units (and Xenix mixers) and was giving better performance then ASIO4ALL (I have compared 2015 after I have reinstalled one of my computers and couldn't find original drivers quickly).

I believe in 1ms RTL with 32 samples / 96kHz with Quantum and perfectly optimized special audio oriented computer under low load. Usable ~3.3ms RTL with RME and "normal" computer.  ~5ms RTL with some other constellations. Achievable ~6-7ms with most interfaces. But Behringer with "ulta-low" latency is science fiction 🤪

1 hour ago, azslow3 said:

But Behringer with "ulta-low" latency is science fiction 🤪

Behringer @ 256 ms buffer = 14ms.              @ 64ms = 5.1 

Motu @ 256 ms  buffer= 16.2                           @ 64ms = 6.1  

My  Focusrite is  @ 256ms= 17.2 ms             @ 64 ms =7.3

So the Behringer is pretty good for a more or less medium quality interface.  

11 hours ago, JohnnyV said:

Behringer @ 256 ms buffer = 14ms.              @ 64ms = 5.1 

Motu @ 256 ms  buffer= 16.2                           @ 64ms = 6.1  

My  Focusrite is  @ 256ms= 17.2 ms             @ 64 ms =7.3

So the Behringer is pretty good for a more or less medium quality interface.  

Have you really measured all of them? And if yes, how? Also the frequency is important (44.1 / 48 / 96)?
And exact models are also important.

The numbers for Focusrite and Motu look like for relatively slow models (not the slowest, but they also have better ). For Behringer I have not really found any 100% reliable numbers, but from the information I could find, measured RTL can be (significantly) different from reported, all posts with screenshots of audio to audio at 64 samples point toward 6ms (reports -  toward 5ms).

Note that I know that Behringers (with ASIO driver) have good latency, for what they are. It just should not be called "ultra-low", the term they was always using even for Xenyx mixers ;)

• Like 1

@azslow3
The reading is using 48hz  and in Cakewalk preferences. I thought about running the RTL utility by Oblique but its not that important to me.
 I just thought it was of some interest to share that Behringer drivers seem to be on par with other household brands these days.  
I’ll agree that the advertisement for ultra low latency is misleading but I tend not to pay attention to advertising as I grew up in the 50’s when they told you smoking Camel cigarettes was recommended by more doctors than any other brand.  

Because I don’t use real time effects, latency doesn’t bother me. 

Example I’ll be using the X18!to record 14 tracks at an upcoming live show we are doing in a week. 

It belongs to my son and we’ve been using it as a live mixer since last fall. I hadn’t tried the USB interface feature and was super impressed with how easy it was to set up and use with Cakewalk. The USB output is independent of the live mix. This is the critical difference from other set ups I’ve used. 

The laptop will be running both Cakewalk and the Mixer software. 
My son can also control the mixer from his tablet so will fine tune the mix from out front. The other guy has his in ear monitor mix control on his cell phone. 
Im using a second laptop to playback split stereo backing tracks. I could have dumped them into Cakewalk. This  is more bulletproof. 
We will also have a 6 camera video shoot happening run by a guy with 40 years of experience.  I’m finally going to have live videos for most of my original songs! 

Sorry about the side track. But I will be using the Real Tek audio on my playback laptop like I have for the past 20 years with out issues. And it’s not the ASIO driver involved.  

Edited by JohnnyV
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, JohnnyV said:

Sorry about the side track. But I will be using the Real Tek audio on my playback laptop like I have for the past 20 years with out issues. And it’s not the ASIO driver involved.  

I also was using Realtek on my 2 notebooks since 2007... On the first one with ASIO4ALL, on the second with native ASIO driver and then with WASAPI. Native ASIO was hanging one or two times, but in general I had no issues. Playable with MIDI keyboard (no guitar nor mic inputs, the latency is not critical).

When real RTL does not match reported in the DAW,  the recording is misaligned. Under 1ms is not significant (for most people), but running Oblique or just loopback and adjust in settings is fast way to avoid that.

X(R)12-18/X32 are nice. Pre-amps are a bit noisy, the latency is not small and some effects have algo-delays but don't have PDC. But for live recording all that is not important😏   BTW Behringer has Midas MR18/M32 with a tick better pre-amps (and so higher price), otherwise they are the same.