May Not Be Able to Run New Cakewalk?

Johnbee58

I just looked at the tech requirements for the upcoming Cakewalk Sonar (& Next).  They both require  (or suggest) an 8 Core CPU.  My sig below tells of my current system as an i5 11400 2.60@ GHz 2.59GHz. (Windows 10). I recently doubled my RAM from 16 gigs to 32.  I'm not overly versed on these variables but is this telling me that I have sufficient computing power to run Cakewalk Sonar (the new one) or not?

If not, I may be forced to change DAWs whether I want to or not.  My PC is only 2 years old and I will not buy a new one.

Thanks

John B

Edited by Johnbee58
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, InstrEd said:

Someone from the Cakewalk staff and I believe a Beta tester said that their older processor was running just fine. I wouldn't worry to much about it.  

Found this from Noel

Thanks @InstrEd.  I also read somewhere on that thread that they will offer a short trial period so I will be able to see how it really works for me before I lay my non refundable money down.  I've been checking out FL Studio 20 and Prosonus Studio One for possible alternatives.  I'm really hoping Cakewalk will work for me (price and performance wise) because I really don't want another learning curve.  It took me 9 years to learn what I know so far about Cakewalk and I still don't know everything but I know enough to do what I do with it.

🙂John B

Oh please John, Sonar will run just fine on your system. Noel has stated this more than once. I am totally confident that my old Studio Cat (been purring over ten years now) will run Sonar just fine. 
Stop “wringing” your hands. 
As to Studio One, many here love S1, I have a recent copy (not the latest) not a fan really. 
Is it “disconcerting” that this has drug on so long? Yeah, but we’ll be fine. 
You will either find “value” in Sonar or not. 
If price is a concern, try Reaper.

In the meantime make music with the tools you have…

t

• Like 2

9 hours ago, InstrEd said:

Heck you will still be able to use your CbB :D

Yes, but for how long after the change is made?

I do intend to move to something new in the future.  Maybe Cakewalk, maybe not.  I DO have Reason 12 which I upgraded from 7 last year but it doesn't have Auto Punch in/Out so I rarely use that.  Had I known it didn't have that very important feature I would not have upgraded.  But too late for that now.

John B

Edited by Johnbee58

6 hours ago, Johnbee58 said:

Yes, but for how long after the change is made?

My bet is quite a few years.  I panicked like others here and brought several other DAW's  at the promotional price they were giving us Sonar users.  So I have a few to upgrade if I like. I'm an older person and my needs are not great so this time around I'll be sticking with the old CbB and take a slow long look at what the new Cakewalk Next and the new Cakewalk Sonar will offer me. I learned my lesson and I'm not in a hurry this time around.    I should of taken a deep breath and a few chill pills myself and I could of saved myself some $$.  Funny I never upgraded to the newer CorelDraw and I'm getting fine by with the older version for the little I still do in graphics. 

Anyway @Johnbee58   best of luck with your decision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InstrEd said:

My bet is quite a few years. 

My bet is as long as your current computer works.  Why would they continue to offer a program that offers everything for free?  There would be no incentive to lay your money down, unless there was something better behind the $$$$$$.

Anyway, I don't want this to become another thread about the future of Cakewalk.  I'm only hoping things will be finalized soon so we'll all know the story.

🙂John B

I wouldn't sweat it John, my beaten up old i7 laptop only has four cores, although it still just about limps along thanks to 32Gb of RAM and a couple of SSDs.

I'll be be darned if I'm going to replace it until Win 10 goes out of support (the CPU isn't on infamous Microshaft yes list).

It runs S1 Pro 5 well enough, so I can always switch to that, but I expect it to be able to run new Sonar.

We'll see, not one worth getting bent out of shape for in my view but I can understand your concern.

Andy

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AndyB01 said:

I wouldn't sweat it John, my beaten up old i7 laptop only has four cores, although it still just about limps along thanks to 32Gb of RAM and a couple of SSDs.

I'll be be darned if I'm going to replace it until Win 10 goes out of support (the CPU isn't on infamous Microshaft yes list).

It runs S1 Pro 5 well enough, so I can always switch to that, but I expect it to be able to run new Sonar.

We'll see, not one worth getting bent out of shape for in my view but I can understand your concern.

Andy

Noel should know.  If he says it will work I'm optimistic.

😀John B

I was running CbB on a dual core laptop with 8GB of RAM from more than a decade ago until early 2019. It sucked but it certainly worked. My 8th gen machine now has eaten anything I've thrown at it for breakfast, including massive orchestral templates, literally dozens of guitar and vocal tracks with live effects, mastering chains... you name it. An 11th gen like yours (even an i5) has even more grunt than I have here!

I'd say if anything, Sonar should potentially be lighter on resources since it's not loading a heap of bitmaps into memory like CbB is, and I'd say that by the time it becomes a problem in the future, your machine (and definitely mine) would be due for an upgrade anyway. :)