Western Digital SN850X 2TB & SN850X 4TB -- high end NVMe, lowest prices I've seen on these!

Christian Jones

Yeah, this is a great deal . Would have lept at the 4tb version, but  there’s contrary info out there on whether it really is purely “single sided” (which it’s advertised as) as is required by my Lenovo Gen1 X1E laptop.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LAGinz said:

Yeah, this is a great deal . Would have lept at the 4tb version, but  there’s contrary info out there on whether it really is purely “single sided” (which it’s advertised as) as is required by my Lenovo Gen1 X1E laptop.

My system can't use the 4tb version.  :( 
I bought one at a previous sale and had to return it.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

My system can't use the 4tb version.  :( 
I bought one at a previous sale and had to return it.

Dang- I am having a little panic attack here.  I can't find any issues mentioned with my 3 year old MSI mobo (PCIe4).  That would be a bummer.

• Like 1

I couldn't get my system to recognize the 4tb chip - was afraid that I had somehow damaged it. 😶
Then I checked the spec's on my laptop and discovered that the MB only supported up to 2TB SSDs  😒, newer models support up to 4TB chips.
Was bummed, had already laid out plans for remapping my storage.
I think I got it through NewEgg, they refunded me with no issues.

• Thanks 1

Good news then, because that is where I ordered mine from.  On paper the WD will be faster than my existing Intel M2 which is only PCIe 3.0   I am hesitant to move my boot drive though, because of all the copy protected software thinking I am on a new PC.  Went through that before.  Even changing data drives will screw some of them up.  I was thinking of just utilizing it for data, but I will wait until I get the new part and test the speed difference.

• Sad 1

Not so Fast Folks

WD - BLACK SN850X 4TB Internal SSD PCIe Gen 4 x4 NVMe from Best Buys only $229.99

Best Buys   image.png.4df6a225f3e227a97a38bcb6664c0543.png

Best buys Questions and Answers:

Q: QuestionHello there, is the WD BLACK 4TB SN850X single sided or double sided? Again this is only referring to the 4TB version!

A:Answer Most reviewers claim it's double sided. However, I spoke to WD and they say it's single sided, even the 4tb version. That conflicts with most professional reviewers' analysis, but I think WD must be right, as it's their product.

Edited by jesse g

39 minutes ago, jesse g said:

Not so Fast Folks

WD - BLACK SN850X 4TB Internal SSD PCIe Gen 4 x4 NVMe from Best Buys only $229.99

Best Buys   image.png.4df6a225f3e227a97a38bcb6664c0543.png

Best buys Questions and Answers:

Q: QuestionHello there, is the WD BLACK 4TB SN850X single sided or double sided? Again this is only referring to the 4TB version!

A:Answer Most reviewers claim it's double sided. However, I spoke to WD and they say it's single sided, even the 4tb version. That conflicts with most professional reviewers' analysis, but I think WD must be right, as it's their product.

While you would think they know their own product, some who have bought it have observed that there is at least something raised on the second side that makes the fit challenging, at best.

FWIW My drive arrived from Newegg today and it is double sided.  They kindly shipped it UPS, but the heat sink got sent via U.S. Snail, so expansion will have to wait. Thickness won't be an issue on my mobo.  The packaging says Laptop compatible, but with a disclaimer.

box.thumb.jpg.77422d5f333e3946b2aa97da2f9cebdf.jpg

1912111820_edgeon.jpg.cf2412cc9476bb75f85eb4fd8889724d.jpg

• Like 2

B&H has always been a good place to buy from for me. I bought the 2tb sn850x from them for $112.99 during this sale, and later that morning I noticed they dropped their price on that to $99 after I already paid. So I emailed them asking if they could do a price adjustment/refund down to $99 post sale, but the B&H guy said he could do one better and adjusted my price down to $89, because I hadn't seen it but while I was emailing him they had lowered their price even further from $99 to $89. Maybe other stores do that too but it was done real easily through B&H who gave an even better deal than I asked for. Also scored two 4tb sn850x from Best Buy @ $229/ea. If anyone ever does a better price on that 4tb drive, good on whoever gets *that* deal. 

• Like 2

Great drive.  I was skeptical that my 3 year old motherboard would support a M2 drive that is almost 4x faster than my Intel M2, but CrystalDiskMark8 confirms it (7.3 GBs vs, 1.9 GBs).  I am cloning the boot drive over and will just have to deal with the copy protection fallout as/if  it appears.