Brainworx SPL Sale and Amek (Exclusive)

cclarry

45 minutes ago, dumbquestions said:

Is SPL deverb worth $10? Say as an alternative to izotope RX or the new waves clarity one? In other words does anyone have it and actively use it?

I used it a long time ago (like 10 years ago) so I can be  wrong. But the algorithms was coded long time before this "AI" new generation plugins. If I remember correctly it works like a noise gate, affecting the decay of a sound, nothing more. It can be usefull. The waves seems on another level. It interacts with the totality of the sound not altering the adsr. So no it's like a compressor dedicated to decay release. 10$ it's ok. Sometimes you can buy it a 0$ with the 20$ no limit voucher (1 time per year? 2 time per year?) at plugin alliance

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, dumbquestions said:

Is SPL deverb worth $10? Say as an alternative to izotope RX or the new waves clarity one? In other words does anyone have it and actively use it?

I use it all the time but it can be had for free when they do no min vouchers sometimes 

I'm sure the new AI ones would preserve more of the top end

• Like 1

Use De-Verb a lot. It's very qood at quickly controlling baked-in reverb in a lot of orchestral and percussion libraries. Other tools will do the job (other transient designers, de-reverb plugins), but De-verb is basically a one knob 2 second job, and does what it does very very well.

And it's not just "decay of a sound". These type plugins will ideally reduce the background ambient / reverb WITHOUT affecting the overall envelope of the sound. For example, I use de-verb a lot of older 8Dio percussion libraries that have enormous amounts of baked in reverb. De-Verb (as well as iZotope's De-Verb, and some other transient designers...Smack Attack from Waves is very unnderated imo) all have a bit different sound / feature sets, but de-verb generally does the job well. 

What's great about these type plugins is that after de-verbing a sound (especially percussion), you then have a more controlled sound, and can apply compression, saturation, etc.  to bring out more of the washed out body that was getting lost in reverb.

Some sounds are un-fixable, but I've used de-verb extensively for years to get more life out of dated percussion libraries that clearly had great source recordings, but just waaaaay too much of the room mic in the mix (before mic options were a thing). I have also been able to get something like 8Dio's Epic Taikos & Epic Dohl to sit with Spitfire's HZ Pro close mics, and Damage 2 close mics, and not be able to hear the original reverb from Epic Taikos, but still get all of the body of the sound, which I've always liked (quite similar to Action Strikes taikos, but better velocity control). 

Edited by Carl Ewing
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Since we were talking about the SPL, a +10 years old software, it's obviously just the "decay of the sound".
IT'S THE FIRST PRODUCER STATEMENT AHAHAHAH...."SPL De-Verb Plus - Plugin Alliance With just one knob that allows the decay of a sound to be reduced or even eliminated". If we talk about izotope or waves, we talk about similar to the ones that divide in stems a master track. Totally different things.

8 hours ago, Carl Ewing said:

Use De-Verb a lot. It's very qood at quickly controlling baked-in reverb in a lot of orchestral and percussion libraries. Other tools will do the job (other transient designers, de-reverb plugins), but De-verb is basically a one knob 2 second job, and does what it does very very well.

And it's not just "decay of a sound". These type plugins will ideally reduce the background ambient / reverb WITHOUT affecting the overall envelope of the sound. For example, I use de-verb a lot of older 8Dio percussion libraries that have enormous amounts of baked in reverb. De-Verb (as well as iZotope's De-Verb, and some other transient designers...Smack Attack from Waves is very unnderated imo) all have a bit different sound / feature sets, but de-verb generally does the job well. 

What's great about these type plugins is that after de-verbing a sound (especially percussion), you then have a more controlled sound, and can apply compression, saturation, etc.  to bring out more of the washed out body that was getting lost in reverb.

Some sounds are un-fixable, but I've used de-verb extensively for years to get more life out of dated percussion libraries that clearly had great source recordings, but just waaaaay too much of the room mic in the mix (before mic options were a thing). I have also been able to get something like 8Dio's Epic Taikos & Epic Dohl to sit with Spitfire's HZ Pro close mics, and Damage 2 close mics, and not be able to hear the original reverb from Epic Taikos, but still get all of the body of the sound, which I've always liked (quite similar to Action Strikes taikos, but better velocity control). 

On the official page.

spl.audio

https://spl.audio › spl-produkt

A perfect alternative to noise gates! With the De-Verb Plus Microplug, the decay period is shortened more musically compared to fixed release times – within ...

So, yeah, SPL = ASDR, Izotope Waves ecc... = "Stem Extractor" with dry wet functions

1 hour ago, AMAD_Lab said:

On the official page.

spl.audio

https://spl.audio › spl-produkt

A perfect alternative to noise gates! With the De-Verb Plus Microplug, the decay period is shortened more musically compared to fixed release times – within ...

So, yeah, SPL = ASDR, Izotope Waves ecc... = "Stem Extractor" with dry wet functions

Do you often read about audio related things instead of just...listening with your ears? 

My experience on heavily reverbed percussion is that the plugin greatly reduces that reverb, while the body of the drum remains in tact. That after years of using it lol.

Exactly.
After all those years have you not reached to the conclusion that SPL De-Verb is a COMPRESSOR? That's REALLY REALLY bad.
Never said that it's not useful.
Of course, you can keep your dogmas, It's not a problem for me. Just don't say that I don't know my stuff and I will never respond.

35 minutes ago, AMAD_Lab said:

After all those years have you not reached to the conclusion that SPL De-Verb is a COMPRESSOR?

It is just the decay part of a transient designer processor, so yes in a way it works similar to a compressor's release. Where it differs is that it's not threshold dependent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AMAD_Lab said:

Exactly.
After all those years have you not reached to the conclusion that SPL De-Verb is a COMPRESSOR? That's REALLY REALLY bad.
Never said that it's not useful.
Of course, you can keep your dogmas, It's not a problem for me. Just don't say that I don't know my stuff and I will never respond.

Not a compressor. No threshold setting for a reason.

Honestly - what is your problem man? You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Perhaps stay out of the conversation until you get some experience?

3 hours ago, chris.r said:

It is just the decay part of a transient designer processor, so yes in a way it works similar to a compressor's release. Where it differs is that it's not threshold dependent.

You're totally right, I should have used the more broad term of "singular Dynamic Processor". My bad, appreciated.

• Like 1