Recording or on-air light

GordonCunningham

I'd like to see the capability within Cakewalk/Sonar to have the record and/or record arm buttons toggle a relay for external lighting or other uses.   This could be expanded upon not unlike a button-to-midi mapping or key assignment system using external hardware (usb relays?).  

Cakewalk tells Control Surfaces when tracks are armed, or the transport is recording.

So, all you need to do is write a simple Control Surface DLL that listens out for that, and sends out the appropriate MIDI message to another device which relay.  An Arduino should do it - and you can even set these up to look like a class compliant MIDI interface, but you can use the in-built serial ports, or a MIDI "hat" as well.

If you don't want to write your own Control Surface DLL, @azslow3's AZController will do the job - I used it when testing some Arduino based hardware controllers I was building.

• Like 1

Wouldn’t it be easy to buy a small midi controlled lighting hoard to which one could connect a record light. Then a simple midi command would toggle the light. Then assign it to the r key additionally?

Ive heard of Arduino but I don’t know what it does

Edited by Keni

AZController can also send OSC on record/play/mute/etc. toggles. Can be used to auto-change something in OSC capable mixers (Behringer, RME) or do something else wireless way (f.e. NodeMCU+LED matrix).

In that direction but without DIY hardware, the approach can be REST commands from custom Control Surface to REST capable smart devices (bulb, power-plug, relay) (f.e. https://www.shelly.cloud/). AZController does not support that at the moment, but if someone really need it, I can add...