I can't hear plugin sounds on my keyboard

Vittorio Foppiani

Question

I have this very annoying problem with audio. Basically, after having connected my keyboard to Cakewalk, I can only apply Cakewalk FX effects to the midi track and I hear them through the keyboard speakers, but if I try and apply the plugin sounds a new track is created where I can choose the plugin sound. I think this is normal, but what annoys me is that I only hear the plugin sound through the computer speakers. The result is two different audio tracks from one keyboard,  the keyboard sound coming from it and the plugin sound coming from the computer. I want to only hear the plugin sound on the keyboard. 

Hope you can help me 

Edited by Vittorio Foppiani

24 minutes ago, Vittorio Foppiani said:

So do I need the cable with the round outputs in addition to the MIDI one I already have?

Either L & R audio outputs or headphone outputs, depends on what your keyboard has.

1 hour ago, rsinger said:

Do you have the audio output in CbB set to the PX-S1100? Do you have the input volume turned up on the keyboard?

That keyboard will not play back audio from the computer unless you are using the Bluetooth adapter. The USB computer port is MIDI only. That port is class compliant and should work without any added drivers.

So count me as another vote for watching John's tutorial.

8 minutes ago, Base 57 said:

That keyboard will not play back audio from the computer unless you are using the Bluetooth adapter. The USB computer port is MIDI only. That port is class compliant and should work without any added drivers.

So count me as another vote for watching John's tutorial.

OK, the documentation isn't very clear on what the USB B port does. 

OK, I think we're going around in circles a little bit here. Let's get some clarity.

Is this all correct:

You have your keyboard connected to your computer. 

Inside Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB) you can see your keyboard as a device.

When you record, you're recording a MIDI track, correct? It'll look like dots and dashes rather than an audio waveform.

With that MIDI track, the only thing you can hear is any Cakewalk instruments coming out of the computer speakers.

You are hearing your keyboard playing back the sound as well as those Cakewalk instruments.

Assuming this is all correct, you have the Output on your MIDI track set to a Cakewalk instrument (likely TTS-1) rather than your keyboard.

If you check in Preferences in the MIDI > Devices section, you should see your keyboard listed in both the Inputs and Outputs parts with ticks in their boxes.

If that's the case, if you open up the MIDI track you've recorded, you should see the Input (I) and the Output (O). Both of those things should be set to your keyboard, rather than Omni or anything else.

This should just get the sound to play through your keyboard.

The next hurdle is, did you want to record the sound of your keyboard into CbB?

If so, you'll need an audio cable connected into your audio interface to do that. If you're recording with onboard audio (eg: your computers built in soundcard, this won't give you very good results). I'd suggest in that case to use a VST virtual instrument, or buy an audio interface with proper connections.

Edited by Lord Tim

I hear the keyboard normal sound, which I  normally hear when I use it without the connection, and at the same time I hear the sound of Cakewalk registering the keys I play in the keyboard of the vst.

Also, I don't want to record the sound, at least now, I just want to hear the vst sound from my keyboard speakers.