I can't hear plugin sounds on my keyboard

Vittorio Foppiani

Question

I have this very annoying problem with audio. Basically, after having connected my keyboard to Cakewalk, I can only apply Cakewalk FX effects to the midi track and I hear them through the keyboard speakers, but if I try and apply the plugin sounds a new track is created where I can choose the plugin sound. I think this is normal, but what annoys me is that I only hear the plugin sound through the computer speakers. The result is two different audio tracks from one keyboard,  the keyboard sound coming from it and the plugin sound coming from the computer. I want to only hear the plugin sound on the keyboard. 

Hope you can help me 

Edited by Vittorio Foppiani

In my earlier post, I mentioned to go to Preferences > MIDI > Devices.

Can you see your keyboard in both Input and Output, and they have ticks in the boxes for them?

One you have that set up, you should be able to choose your keyboard in the Output on the MIDI track.

I think there's some misunderstanding about what he's trying to do.

He wants to use the keyboard's speakers to monitor from Cakewalk.

Unless the keyboard can act as an audio output device (unlikely), the only way to accomplish that would be if, as @gustabo says, the keyboard has an analog audio input.

If it does, then a 1/8" stereo to 1/8" cable from the green jack on the computer to the keyboard's audio input should do the trick.

Be forewarned that this configuration will then make any sound the computer makes play back through the keyboard's speakers.

Since @Byron Dickens was uncharacteristically silent about this, the best solution would be to buy an M-Track Solo ($50) and a pair of dedicated powered speakers (of better quality than whatever you're using now, such as the Presonus Eris) for it. Second best would be to just get the powered speakers and and drive them from the computer's green jack.

Do this and you'll hear what your setup is really capable of.

Once you start overdubbing, freezing tracks, etc., you'll find the $99 Eris/$50 M-Track investment very much worth it.