EzKeys 2 vs Scaler 2 (Which one is the best?)

El Diablo

There is no best, just difference (albeit with a little crossover).

EzKeys is functionally much richer and deeper than Scaler imho. The quality of the instruments in EzKeys is better (but these cost extra and for many are not the primary appeal).

There are a lot of midi packs for EzKeys (or you can use your own midi loops) covering every genre you can think of - these are also add on cost and can become both addictive and expensive; look for six-pack deals.

Scaler will take you deep into music theory so great for both practitioners and those keen to learn. It has a more limited composition grid but can produce very usable midi parts played by external VSTs - you just have to get your routing right.

Both have a lot of online videos that show you the key features. For me, EzKeys ability to take a simple chord track and play in the style of multiple midi packs is a great feature and the best customisable virtual session pianist I have found.

I have both and enjoy them equally but I use them differently. I will admit to using Scaler less since EzKeys 2 came out. If I could only have one, I'd definitely keep EzKeys but others may disagree.

My advice, spend some time on YouTube before you decide, no doubting that Scaler is fabulous value for money and is often discounted.

Andy

45 minutes ago, AndyB01 said:

There is no best, just difference (albeit with a little crossover).

EzKeys is functionally much richer and deeper than Scaler imho. The quality of the instruments in EzKeys is better (but these cost extra and for many are not the primary appeal).

There are a lot of midi packs for EzKeys (or you can use your own midi loops) covering every genre you can think of - these are also add on cost and can become both addictive and expensive; look for six-pack deals.

Scaler will take you deep into music theory so great for both practitioners and those keen to learn. It has a more limited composition grid but can produce very usable midi parts played by external VSTs - you just have to get your routing right.

Both have a lot of online videos that show you the key features. For me, EzKeys ability to take a simple chord track and play in the style of multiple midi packs is a great feature and the best customisable virtual session pianist I have found.

I have both and enjoy them equally but I use them differently. I will admit to using Scaler less since EzKeys 2 came out. If I could only have one, I'd definitely keep EzKeys but others may disagree.

My advice, spend some time on YouTube before you decide, no doubting that Scaler is fabulous value for money and is often discounted.

Andy

In EzKeys, can you use your own midi instruments?

Scaler 2 has a demo / trail version while EzKeys 2 does not:

On EzKeys website:

Q: Is there a trial or demo version available?

A: No, there is no trial or demo version available of EZkeys 2. To learn more about the product, please refer to the extensive tutorial material, audio demos and information available on our site.

If EzKeys didn't cost so much, I would gamble on it.  Without a trail or demo version, I'm just taking everyone's word on it.

Your information has enlightened me, and I'm grateful.  Just still on the edge and will wait for more information from others before making a decision.

2 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Your information has enlightened me, and I'm grateful.  Just still on the edge and will wait for more information from others before making a decision.

No worries, happy to help. I get it, lack of a demo version doesn't make it any easier to decide.

Andy

P.s. you can use other VSTs with EzKeys, I tend to prefer Pianoteq than the EzKeys pianos.

Edited by AndyB01
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, El Diablo said:

EzKeys 2 @ $ 162.15 @ https://www.bestservice.com/en/ezkeys_2.html

Scaler 2 @ $49.00 @ https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/3-Studio-Tools/93-Music-Theory-Tools/6439-Scaler-2

Is EzKeys worth 3.31 times more expensive than Scaler 2?

Can you edit midi inside of Scaler 2?

What are the major differences?

Is either of them have a standalone version?

I own both but haven't dived into the new EZKeys 2 features (I had 1 for years).

I'd suggest buying Scaler 2 and get to know it.  Then buy EZKeys2 later if you feel you need what it offers.

Scaler 2 is worth the $50, EZKeys 2 I think is a bit more questionable.  

They are both different and can also be used with each other.  IMO you also need to spend more money with EzKeys 2 to get more MIDI packs out of it - while Scaler keeps adding styles for free.

• Like 1

Found EzKeys for $159 @ https://www.thomannmusic.com/toontrack_ezkeys_2.htm

not much cheaper than Best Service... I'm still looking for a better deal.  Someone did say they got EzKeys for $29 sometime during a black Friday sale years ago, I'm wondering if they'll do another sale like that again soon?

It's not like I really need this, so I can wait as long as I like for it, but might as well get all the opinions and research that I can.

I'm currently liking the idea that EzKeys can be ran standalone (not sure if Scaler can or not), That EzKeys has a internal midi editor.

what I don't like about both systems is that you can't just buy the core system without any samples / instrument.

Is there another similar system like both of these that doesn't force you to also download their instrument?

I opened up Scaler, and it still works past the trial date. It continues to be a trial forever?  Anyone else notice that?

I have to have licenses for tools of all songs I create, so if I do publish any song using it, I'll buy it first.  It's a requirement of my publisher that I show receipts and screenshots for all tools used for a production of any song.

If I decide to buy EzKeys, I'll uninstall Scaler.

Edited by El Diablo