Sudden gaps in audio playback?

shane

Long time Cakewalk/Bandlab user here. 2022.11 build 21

RME Fireface UFX

I've noticed in the last two weeks normal projects suddenly have gaps in playback audio. Sometimes as frequently as every minute, sometimes not until the middle of the song, ALL audio drops out for less than a second, then resumes. Strangely, timing doesn't seem to be affected by this, so after the gap it continues as if nothing happened, right in time. 

Other computer audio (YouTube, Sirius, Windows Media Music playback) doesn't exhibit this behavior. 

I originally thought I had changed something, but all preferences seem to be the same. 

I am going through all my plugins one by one to see which ones may be the culprit, including: 

SoundToys 5.4.1

UAD

Eventide

Sausage Fattener

Anyone else having the same issue? 

I haven't rescanned audio buffer/driver in awhile (maybe a year?) as it does when you first setup Cakewalk and now I can't remember how to do it. That might be built in these days. 

Yup, agreed. 

None of these are in demo mode, and I've re-authorized them.  Playback gaps still happening. 

Narrowed it down to the SoundToys 5.4.1 and Sausage Fattener. 

Will try adding the same amount of VST's, but NOT the above to see if it's plugin count. 

Narrowed this down a bit with a test sequence of 5 stereo audio tracks. 

Seems to be that if I turn all the SoundToys plugins OFF, the gaps/dropouts no longer happen. 

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? 

Yes, I have the same problem, got it when I updated to 5.3.9. Its like a 0,5s gap. I have had Soundtoys effects for years and never had any problem before. Also got the "Cannot load preset - unknown error" message when I upload old songs. Already had checked both VST3 Migration boxes, so no luck there.

38 minutes ago, Leizer said:

Also got the "Cannot load preset - unknown error" message when I upload old songs. Already had checked both VST3 Migration boxes, so no luck there.

Wouldn’t you be wanting to be unchecking those boxes?

• Like 1

Yes, it seemed like I would. ;) I also upgraded to 5.4.1 and with the boxes UNchecked it worked, no error message. Thanks Promidi!

My audio gaps looks to have disappeared as well, maybe they fixed something in an update? Shane, do you have the latest version (5.4.1.17134)?

• Like 1

...after fully uninstalling all SoundToys--- had an older installation pre-5.4.x there--- and reinstalling, its BETTER, but still gaps. 

iLok showing no issues either. 

I've reported this to SoundToys. Hopefully they get back to me, because I really love these plugins. 

I experienced the same dropouts with 5.4.1.  I reported to Soundtoys and got an immediate response. I sent  the project file to Chris and I assume they are still working on the problem.  In the meantime they sent the link to 5.4.  I reinstalled that and the dropouts went away.  I didn’t have previous projects , so I can’t verify that problem.

On 6/13/2023 at 8:55 AM, mbradt said:

I experienced the same dropouts with 5.4.1.  I reported to Soundtoys and got an immediate response. I sent  the project file to Chris and I assume they are still working on the problem.  In the meantime they sent the link to 5.4.  I reinstalled that and the dropouts went away.  I didn’t have previous projects , so I can’t verify that problem.

Same issue here with 5.4.1. Love ST as well; hope they fix soon. Problem is, they rarely email about updates. I still have the 5.3.5 installer, but afraid if I roll back, I'll lose the new SuperPlate I got when I updated to 5.4.1. Will you post if ST contacts you about the fix? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...