BR: Export does not include new track

I have come across a problem with exporting. Here are the steps that lead to it:

• Created a mix with multiple tracks
  • Created an export task for MP3 export that includes all the tracks (see below)
  • Exported the song and everything was fine
  • Decided to add one more guitar tracks to this project
  • Updated the task adding this track and using 'Update Task with Curent Settings'
  • Exported the song and the new added track was not included
  • Made a copy of the export task by loading the failed one and using 'Add Task to Queue' with a different name
  • Exported the song and the new track was now included

I haven't tried to reproduce the problem so I can't tell if it was a one time fluke.

image.thumb.png.a4293f3d070423e0611ffed7f0955fa0.png

Edited by Jacques Boileau

I found Tasks sort of buggy so stopped using them, Instead I just created pre sets for  for different scenarios. It always works now.  It's like in the old dialogue if you select none it always was more dependable than selecting all. So I make sure all is actually not checked before I export.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JohnnyV said:

I found Tasks sort of buggy so stopped using them, Instead I just created pre sets for  for different scenarios. It always works now.  It's like in the old dialogue if you select none it always was more dependable than selecting all. So I make sure all is actually not checked before I export.  

I will try that next time. It is a shame it is not reliable though.

The selection is stored along with the task, and by selection I mean the tracks/buses checked in the right-hand pop-out view.

If the selection is empty, then by default it'll include all tracks, whatever they may be at the time you run the task.  So new tracks will be picked up by default.

If the selection is not empty however, it will only export the tracks that were included at the time you created the task.

If this is the case, to pick up new tracks you'll need to:
1. Recall the task
2. Add any new tracks to the selection by checking them in the right-hand pop-out view
3. Update the task

I've just re-checked this behaviour now (using the steps above) and it worked without issue for me.

If anyone has a recipe for this not working, please let us know and we'll look into it.

56 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

The selection is stored along with the task, and by selection I mean the tracks/buses checked in the right-hand pop-out view.

If the selection is empty, then by default it'll include all tracks, whatever they may be at the time you run the task.  So new tracks will be picked up by default.

If the selection is not empty however, it will only export the tracks that were included at the time you created the task.

If this is the case, to pick up new tracks you'll need to:
1. Recall the task
2. Add any new tracks to the selection by checking them in the right-hand pop-out view
3. Update the task

I've just re-checked this behaviour now (using the steps above) and it worked without issue for me.

If anyone has a recipe for this not working, please let us know and we'll look into it.

Thanks. I'll see if I can reproduce it. But you and @Max Arwood may be right. It might be that I exported before saving saving with the new track check. But at least I learned something new today, that no selection will include everything.

Can I assume that if nothing is selected and I have an archived track that it will not be included in the export?

Just now, Jacques Boileau said:

Thanks. I'll see if I can reproduce it. But you and @Max Arwood may be right. It might be that I exported before saving saving with the new track check. But at least I learned something new today, that no selection will include everything.

Can I assume that if nothing is selected and I have an archived track that it will not be included in the export?

Correct, any archived track will not be included

• Thanks 1

With the old export I always used “Select None” before choosing to export.  CTRL-Shift-A 

What I like about the new dialogue is that Right hand select box that shows you at a glance if there’s a track selected and you can uncheck it with out having to close the export dialogue.  

I shouldn’t have called the Task option buggy.It just makes extra work for most export options.  I can see using it to export a project in multiple formats with one click but that’s not something many people would do. 
I find if I use 48/24 that covers everything these days. Even the upload sites like Sound Cloud except that format. And if I do burn a CD Nero converts it to 44.1/16 automatically.  
The internet has come a long way and MP3 are now obsolete. 44.1 is also obsolete. I’m not even sure why new DAWs continue to have it as an option for recording? 

If all you're doing is exporting an entire mix (i.e. all tracks), by far the easiest way to do this is via the Export module, and not use the Audio Export dialog at all.

You get the choice of project (the equivalent of selecting none), or Selection, and you just choose the output format from the menu:

image.png.c8576cb99e47f847fa4cdef382008c50.png

• Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

If all you're doing is exporting an entire mix (i.e. all tracks), by far the easiest way to do this is via the Export module, and not use the Audio Export dialog at all.

Since I always export in both wav and mp3 though, it saves me time to create 2 export tasks and having them run  in one pass.

• Like 1