Is there an equivalent to FL studio's fruity limiter?

Aletz39

I don't use that software, so I have no idea what the fruity limiter does. Just wondering, though if any of the ProChannel tools would help meet your needs.

Cakewalk includes the following ProChannel modules:

Compressor. The Compressor modules let you limit the dynamic range and balance the overall level. Compression makes the loud parts of the signal quieter, resulting in a more even level. Cakewalk includes two different compressor modules . . . .

For suggestions of free third-party FX plug-ins Cakewalk users have mentioned there are several threads, such as this one.

Maybe other Cakewalk users can suggest some plug-ins that are comparable to the fruity limiter. 

Edited by User 905133
(2) To add a link to the "favorite free FX thread" (1) To add a quote from the online documentation which has the word "limit" in it
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

+1 to the free VST idea. Main reason is they are not dependent on which DAW you are using, so when you find something you like you are not bound to a DAW. You can also Google "free limiter VST" or whatever you are searching for. Limiter No6 has been around for years and is a CPU-friendly limiter (many of TokyoDawn's stuff is that way). Limiters are really very aggressive compressors, but you definitely want to get into the habit of dropping one on your main outs before it hits your gear or ears... preserve them both.

In my humble opinion if it’s a brickwall limiter you need the Loud Max and Boost11 do the job with out colouring the sound at all. Limiters should not colour.  Boost11 is included with cakewalk. Loudmax is free.
The above mentioned limiter# 6 colours the sound.

That is important and is the big difference in all compressors and limiters that you need to be aware of. Some add saturation some don’t and some have an option of both.
I found 90 different free compressors and limiters and I tested them all. 
Cakewalks PC 2A leveling amp is actually the CA-2A with out side chaining option. It doesn’t get any better than that for a coloured compressor. 
A very good all round none coloured  compressor is  the Melda which is part of the free bundle. 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

I'll agree that they are small but I can read them and let me tell you I have pretty bad eyesight. I have a special pair of Computer glasses that are at the correct focus and have blue blocker. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 2

+1, the "struggling with mixing" part slipped by, so John's comments are definitely good ones. I didn't check out what the Fruity Limiter is until now and that is not strictly a limiter and has other functionality to it. Any "compressor" that goes to a ratio of 10:1 or more is technically a limiter, but the one to protect your (g)ear(s) is strictly set to limit with a threshold high enough not to engage during normal mixing (i.e., it shouldn't function at all unless for protection). Compression is almost its own topic and a bit more complex, but definitely something to learn the ins and outs of.

EQ is another topic to understand, and this video I tend to recommend most just because of the information/explanation crammed into 10 minutes (mirror EQ, audio microscope, frequency masking, etc.). Each of those is its own topic, but he briefly explains them and demonstrates the "why." There are a truckload of tutorials out there, so very specific keywords in your searching will help you find things. If not sure what those keywords are, don't be afraid to ask... even a lot of DAW functionality people struggle with until they know the term for what they are asking about.

21 hours ago, mettelus said:

. . . the Fruity Limiter . . . is not strictly a limiter and has other functionality to it.

All I know about the fruity limiter is what I looked up yesterday when I replied.  Here's a link in case others are interested. 

Edited by User 905133
added a missing letter (typo)
  • Like 1

Cakewalk comes with 5 compressors. Sonitus Compressor, PC-2A, PC-4K S-Type Bus Compressor, PC-4K S-Type Channel Compressor, and PC76 U-Type Compressor.

It also comes with a limiter, Boost 11, and 2 gates, Sonitus Gate and PC-4K Exp/Gate. The PX-64 Percussion Strip and VX-64 Vocal Strip also have compressors.

Among all of these, you have plenty of dynamics control options.

Add the Kilohearts Essentials and/or MeldaProduction FreeFX bundle, and you'll have even more.

On 6/4/2023 at 7:42 AM, JohnnyV said:

I have a special pair of Computer glasses that are at the correct focus and have blue blocker. 

LOL. So happens the small text is blue.

Maybe the "new" vector based GUI will address things like small text.