Audiosnap

Just wondering what people's experiences have been with audiosnap with newer systems using Windows 10 or Windows 11? I'm still on a Windows 7 computer and I'm thinking about upgrading and audiosnap has been a feature that has never worked properly for me even with the latest version of Cakewalk. Once I launch audio snap my system gets bogged down it becomes sluggish and erratic. Does audio snap work properly for others? Are transients detected correctly and system works well after launching it? Hoping to get answers from people who use it on multiple tracks at once, like multitrack drums. Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, John Vere said:

And now we use Melodyne to do what Audio Snap did. 

Hey John, 

Wasn't aware of that. I upgraded to Cakewalk from Sonar Producer Edition so I have melodyne on my machine. Don't know if Cakewalk now comes with melodyne and if the newer version does things that previous one didn't do. I don't remember exactly what I did right now but when I tried to have my audio file follow the project tempo I think audiosnap was launched automatically.

2 hours ago, pinguinotuerto said:

have my audio file follow the project tempo

I have sometimes had this work flawlessly with very little manual editing. More often it is an ever-deepening pit of time-wasting frustration.

The best way to skin this particular cat is to just record the part again.

Melodyne (Editor 5.3) works better than Audiosnap, If the file has clearly defined transients on the down beats and the backbeats, then either one works fairly well. The more syncopated your parts are, the more frustrating it becomes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Base 57 said:

I have sometimes had this work flawlessly with very little manual editing. More often it is an ever-deepening pit of time-wasting frustration.

Melodyne (Editor 5.3) works better than Audiosnap, If the file has clearly defined transients on the down beats and the backbeats, then either one works fairly well. The more syncopated your parts are, the more frustrating it becomes.

Thanks for your response!

Melodyne 4 came for free with older versions of both Sonar and then Cakewalk. Soon after the update to Melodyne 5 they changed it so it was now only a demo that lasts about 30 days. 

If you have Melodyne 4 it will continue to work for Tempo extraction as well as Convert monophonic audio ( Bass) to midi. But the editor stops functioning after 30 days. 

If you have Sonar PLat you should have the Melodyn 4 serial and the installer is in the Command Center. T

You can open Melodyne editor and see what version as well as if it is still activated. 

Melodyne will be listed under Celemony on the list of programs in the start menu and can be opened as a stand alone app.  The version is found under the About in the help menu. 

There was some noticeable performance improvements with Melodyne 5. I decided to purchase a better version as for me it pays for it self almost daily. Cakewalk is free. why not spend the money on something that makes it much more powerful?  It goes on sale regularly.  I saved over $200 by upgrading during a sale. 

If you do have version 4 from Sonar check you Celemony account to see if there is an upgrade offer still available. 

I use the tempo extraction a lot, I use the convert Bass parts to midi a lot, I convert lead guitar parts to midi a lot, I edit both Vocal and full guitar chords a lot, and not just pitch but timing, level ( amplitude)  and duration. All done in Melodyne. 

Their web site has some of the best tutorials around. That's when I really got the hang of what it does. 

Screenshot (534).png

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Base 57 said:

Also be aware that Melodyne has a LOT of shortcut keys embedded into it that are not obvious. You can adjust bar markers if the algorithm fails (easier to use than AudioSnap was IMO). The manual/tutorials for Melodyne will help you a lot when you begin diving into specific tasks with it.

That said... Set Measure/Beat at Now (Shift-M) is very fast once you get the hang of it. @David Baay mentioned that to me years ago and is very fast. Not sure if he has a quick reference posted on it, but he has had the best usage guides for it in the forums.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mettelus said:

Set Measure/Beat at Now (Shift-M) is very fast once you get the hang of it.

Yes. I generally prefer this to trying to extract the tempo from a file. However...

23 hours ago, pinguinotuerto said:

I tried to have my audio file follow the project tempo

This is the part that can be problematic.

But in either case it doesn't hurt to let Melodyne take a stab at it. You can always undo.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, John Vere said:

Melodyne 4 came for free with older versions of both Sonar and then Cakewalk. Soon after the update to Melodyne 5 they changed it so it was now only a demo that lasts about 30 days. 

If you have Melodyne 4 it will continue to work for Tempo extraction as well as Convert monophonic audio ( Bass) to midi. But the editor stops functioning after 30 days. 

If you have Sonar PLat you should have the Melodyn 4 serial and the installer is in the Command Center. T

You can open Melodyne editor and see what version as well as if it is still activated. 

Melodyne will be listed under Celemony on the list of programs in the start menu and can be opened as a stand alone app.  The version is found under the About in the help menu. 

There was some noticeable performance improvements with Melodyne 5. I decided to purchase a better version as for me it pays for it self almost daily. Cakewalk is free. why not spend the money on something that makes it much more powerful?  It goes on sale regularly.  I saved over $200 by upgrading during a sale. 

If you do have version 4 from Sonar check you Celemony account to see if there is an upgrade offer still available. 

I use the tempo extraction a lot, I use the convert Bass parts to midi a lot, I convert lead guitar parts to midi a lot, I edit both Vocal and full guitar chords a lot, and not just pitch but timing, level ( amplitude)  and duration. All done in Melodyne. 

Their web site has some of the best tutorials around. That's when I really got the hang of what it does. 

Screenshot (534).png

Just a word of warning about Melodyne versions...

Melodyne 5 does NOT work in Windows 7.
Melodyne 4 does NOT work in Windows 11.

Both Melodyne 4 & 5 work in Windows 10.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The best tool and best results depend on the use case. Audiosnap  works well if you have audio at a fixed tempo already matching the project tempo, and just want to change that overall tempo. It does take some processing power, depending on which algorithm is used, but I've never found that I have to raise my ASIO buffer by more than 2X at the most to accomodate it when applied to a good number of tracks. If you're talking about aligning the project tempo to an existing track that wasn't recorded to a click, Set Measure/Beat At Now or Melodyne can both do a good job. SM/BAN takes a little more time but gives you a lot more control over how strictly you lock in the tempo and is better for audio that is a mix of fixed  and rubato tempos or changing meters. But both of those are offline processes and won't add any real-time load once completed so I don't think that's what the OP is about. Once the project tempo is aligned to the audio by any method, you can "flatten" or reduce the variability of the tempo changes using either Audiosnap or Melodyne to render the resultant audio stretching, but it requires the most advanced (and expensive) version of Melodyne to do this across multiple tracks simultaneously in real time without rendering each track to file on at a time.

On 5/24/2023 at 6:10 PM, pinguinotuerto said:

audiosnap has been a feature that has never worked properly for me even with the latest version of Cakewalk.

Audio snap is not intended to work on lengthy wav files. Shorter clips/takes = better results and a more natural sound it will give. This is the same for EVERY other daws as well. 

If you have a 4 Measure/Bar recording, cut it up by Bar/Measure - then edit it per clip. Also make sure to bounce these clips individually on their track before you export it. Even in Logic and Protools theres a communication issue between Audiosnap and export with certain tracks even if the desired track is freezed. 

Always duplicate and mute the clone track as well before you do an export. 

Edited by Will.