(not a deal) Metric A/B vs Reference 2 vs other? Which do you use it and why?

El Diablo

Hi,

I'm debating on just creating a muted track, then soloing it for reference.  I have Hornet's CLMS plugin to keep the source sounds the same perceived level as my mix, but I'm wondering if that's enough or should I get one of those specialty plugins?  If so, what do you recommend?

Any way you choose to reference is fine. Metric A/B is about convenience. You load several reference tracks, volume match them and you can switch between your track and any section of those easily. The ability to have presets with different reference tracks at a click and not having to load reference tracks per song/project is convenient.

• Like 3

I use Metric A/B but mostly because it's the first of these type of products that got offered to me at a low low sale price.  I have been experimenting with using the Ozone features paired with Audiolems. I jist got Mcompare but have not had time or motivation to compare

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dubdisciple said:

I use Metric A/B but mostly because it's the first of these type of products that got offered to me at a low low sale price.  I have been experimenting with using the Ozone features paired with Audiolens. I just got Mcompare but have not had time or motivation to compare

The only issue I have with iZotope that it does require two programs /plugins to do the work of one plugin.  I also wish Sonible didn't do the same thing with true balance and true level.  It makes more sense that the two plugins should actually be a single plugin.

I've heard about Mcompare, but I thought look hard into it.  I've not heard how low they sale it for.

I think I'm going to grab the first one that goes on sell.  I've heard Metric A/B can get as low as $15, but I'm unsure about Reference 2.

Currently, none of the referencing type plugins are on any great sale right now, or I missed it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

The only issue I have with iZotope that it does require two programs /plugins to do the work of one plugin.  I also wish Sonible didn't do the same thing with true balance and true level.  It makes more sense that the two plugins should actually be a single plugin.

I've heard about Mcompare, but I thought look hard into it.  I've not heard how low they sale it for.

I think I'm going to grab the first one that goes on sell.  I've heard Metric A/B can get as low as $15, but I'm unsure about Reference 2.

Currently, none of the referencing type plugins are on any great sale right now, or I missed it.

The "two programs" thing is not as bad as it sounds because one is simply a means of grabbing actual songs to reference, something you would have to do anyway.  With traditional route you are limited to songs you actually own( for those of us doing things legally), but audiolens expands selection.  Of course this only is a "bargain" if you obtained audiolens for free.

18 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Also a happy Metric A/B user here.

I put true:balance as the penultimate plugin in my mastering chain,  just after smart:limit and before Metric A/B. This makes true:level redundant (i have it but never use it) because you have all the same level monitoring in smart:limit.

Edited by Sergio

I've only used Metric A/B and haven't owned it very long but given the deals they have on it, I think it's the best bang for the buck compared to Reference 2, based on my research watching tutorials for both. I haven't seen anything in the tutorials that showed Reference 2 to be superior but that may not be true and maybe some Reference 2 owners can explain why it might be worth more money than Metric A/B (if we're comparing sale prices- obviously the Metric A/B regular price is extremely bloated).

On another note, for CLMS owners who also use Reaper. Make sure to ignore the tutorial about putting the receive on the master. That may work in Live but in Reaper it's way too laggy. Just put the send before the plugin and the receive after the plugin on the same track and it works perfectly. I almost spent money on a new plugin for this task until I realized that it worked perfectly as long as it was on the same track.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Patrick Derbidge said:

Sorry, can't seem to delete quotes on mobile phones as I wasn't trying to reply to you.

I did get a chance to test out Sonible True Balance on a cover song I did.  True Balance won't let you A/B "Hear the reference" as it's more visual, it told me how to fix my issue without hearing the reference, but I went ahead and put the reference on another track to hear it anyways.  Sonible needs to get it together and allow people to also hear the reference too!

The only problem is, I can't seem to find a video or information if Metric A/B has the same information available on it's screens.  It was truly awesome that Sonible was able to display a "range" where the reference hovers for the whole song.  I'm guessing the range is the peaks throughout the entire song?  That static range helps allot while my music was bouncing around it. Where is that in Metric A/B?