Asio4All incompatible

Robert Hale

If you are using an onboard soundchip then use WASAPI Exclusive or Shared. If you are using an audio interface find a proper ASIO driver for your device. ASIO4ALL has been problematic for some. Although I had no problems with it I swapped to WASAPI and that is fine - you may need to reroute your Master output though as I found when at first it didn't seem to work

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Robert Hale said:

I am using Behringer UM2 interface , and have downloaded Asio from that site.

Less expensive Behringer interfaces don’t use ASIO drivers, but instead ASIO4All. Unfortunately, UM2 is one of them. If you have downloaded an ASIO  driver from Behringer's support page, it won't work with UM2. As JoeGBradford said above, consider using WASAPI. Or, buy an interface that is ASIO compliant.

I’ve got two interfaces from Behringer, a UMC404HD and a UMC204HD, both of which have real ASIO drivers.

Edited by Canopus
Spellling
  • Great Idea 2

asio4all should work ok if you configure it right, i've used it for years without issue (laptops realteks), but it's a bugbear on these forums... if you can afford the money to buy an interface with genuine asio drivers then go for it (altho you may still have (other) issues) but if not spend some time with the asio4all offline config getting it right... cakewalk is the only daw that says it's an issue 🤷‍♂️

good luck!

49 minutes ago, Alan Tubbs said:

Run away from asio4all.  if you are stuck with it upgrade to an interface with real drivers, not a generic wrapper.

not everyone has the cash... and for a great free daw, the marketeers and devs should be making it work with other free stuff, no-brainer... i suspect that the asio implementation still relies on DX/WDM/Windows-specific stuff and their implementation clashes with a4a, cake was a latecomer to supporting ASIO don't forget

/fwiw/ymmv

Yeah, expanding on that a bit, I think the thing is with ASIO4ALL is it's entirely irrelevant in most situations (there's a few niche places where it's useful) for CbB. It was originally brought in for hosts that needed a low latency ASIO driver when one wasn't available, so it made WDM appear as an ASIO driver. There was really no performance gain at all using that over WDM if you had a host that supported WDM, which some didn't. And in some cases, this fake wrapper "driver" could cause other side-effects too.

SONAR always had the option of using WDM, and now Cakewalk has WASAPI which is even more efficient for a lot of devices. 

WASAPI Shared is the "safer" option out of the 2 available WASAPI options because it allows other applications to play audio while Cakewalk is running. The downside to this is it adds an automatic minimum 10ms latency. Not a big deal when playing anything back, but lousy for playing things in realtime like softsynths or streaming through effects.

WASAPI Exclusive is the closest you'll get to the performance of a real ASIO driver, but can get caught up if Windows decides it wants to get all glitchy, or you have some other app that's hogging the audio device. But I will say that I was getting incredible results with an onboard Realtek interface using WASAPI Exclusive, in fact much better than my old TASCAM 16x08 which actually did have proper ASIO drivers.

My advice is always to get a device that does have solid ASIO drivers if you can. WASAPI *can* work, but there's gotchas.

But if you're stuck with something that relies on a fake "wrapper driver" like ASIO4ALL or has actually broken ASIO drivers like Realtek does (seriously, nobody EVER use that!), then you'll likely get better results from using one of the WASAPI modes rather than fiddling around with fake drivers.

Edited by Lord Tim
I wouldn't mind a spelling wrapper driver...
  • Like 6

Thanks for background and perspective on Asio.

I am just learning this program this week and downloaded Asio4all.

Now I want to return to Wasapi but I don't see it listed  in the program as before. How do I get it back?

Edited by Robert Hale

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2023 at 11:26 AM, Lord Tim said:

But if you're stuck with something that relies on a fake "wrapper driver" like ASIO4ALL or has actually broken ASIO drivers like Realtek does (seriously, nobody EVER use that!), then you'll likely get better results from using one of the WASAPI modes rather than fiddling around with fake drivers.

I have this laptop HP ENVY m6-n113dx Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR) and It have realtek and used to get a warning when choosing ASIO unestable or something like that and if I wanted to switch to WASAPI Does it is and broken ASIO driver?

5 minutes ago, Favio said:

I have this laptop HP ENVY m6-n113dx Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR) and It have realtek and used to get a warning when choosing ASIO unestable or something like that and if I wanted to switch to WASAPI Does it is and broken ASIO driver?

Why would you post this information here and not in your own thread?

On 4/22/2023 at 9:46 AM, John Vere said:

Watch my video. You will need to delete asio4all from your computer including in reg edit. It’s known to be invasive and can interfere with other drivers. 

If I have ASIO4ALL but still seeing WASAPI I still have to desinstall ASIO4ALL ?

19 minutes ago, Favio said:

If I have ASIO4ALL but still seeing WASAPI I still have to desinstall ASIO4ALL ?

No, ASIO and WASAPI driver modes have nothing to do with each other.

But if you ever hope to get your machine to work for your other thread, ASIO4ALL will need to be removed.

• Like 2