Tracktion showcases their 2023 lineup - not a deal

Sander Verstraten

Stability is often based on how well a DAW responds to misbehaving plugins. Waveform has had a few challenges in that regard over the years, but v12 seems quite stable. Especially with the newly rewritten audio engine.

"Our developers have painstakingly and completely rewritten the audio engine resulting in greatly reduced CPU load, perfect PDC in all routing configurations and better support for modern machines with a higher number of CPU cores."

https://www.tracktion.com/products/waveform-pro-whats-new

30 minutes ago, abacab said:

Stability is often based on how well a DAW responds to misbehaving plugins. Waveform has had a few challenges in that regard over the years, but v12 seems quite stable. Especially with the newly rewritten audio engine.

"Our developers have painstakingly and completely rewritten the audio engine resulting in greatly reduced CPU load, perfect PDC in all routing configurations and better support for modern machines with a higher number of CPU cores."

https://www.tracktion.com/products/waveform-pro-whats-new

Out of interest: Did you use it extensively? I tried it a year ago and liked what I saw, but had several crashes and didn't invest more time because of that. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ralfrobert said:

Out of interest: Did you use it extensively?

No not really. I use it mostly for creative experiments, so it's not my main DAW. What type of crashes did you experience and were you using any 3rd party plugins?

1 minute ago, abacab said:

No not really. I use it mostly for creative experiments, so it's not my main DAW. What type of crashes did you experience and were you using any 3rd party plugins?

Sometimes with third party stuff, once or twice dragging and dropping something, a spontaneous one now and then. All of this on Win 10, and S1, Reaper and Bitwig are very stable under the same conditions. 

So no way I even consider it for everyday work. 

1 minute ago, ralfrobert said:

Sometimes with third party stuff, once or twice dragging and dropping something, a spontaneous one now and then. All of this on Win 10, and S1, Reaper and Bitwig are very stable under the same conditions. 

So no way I even consider it for everyday work. 

Well, that's probably not everyone's experience, so as with anything you should (and did) try a free (or trial version) to see how compatible any software is with your studio setup. As you found out and moved on since you have other DAWs that work for you.

There are countless variables in the computer environment one uses, so sometimes isolated stuff just happens. Not everything is a widespread one-size-fits-all problem.

I haven't particularly noticed any totally random crashes since like Waveform v8 or v9, although I've had a few that I could pin to a specific plugin not liking Waveform.