midi input greyed out

Anthony Griffiths

Question

I'm trying to set a midi imput for a track but its greyed out. In the track I click none/selected track inputs but where it says midi inputs I can't select anything.  I've attached a screenshot of what I mean.  in preferences/midi/devices I can see my E-MU Xmidi 2x2 selected as the input device. thanks for any help

midi input.jpg

Edited by Anthony Griffiths

12 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Anthony Griffiths said:

I'm trying to set a midi imput for a track but its greyed out. In the track I click none/selected track inputs but where it says midi inputs I can't select anything.  I've attached a screenshot of what I mean.  in preferences/midi/devices I can see my E-MU Xmidi 2x2 selected as the input device. thanks for any help

midi input.jpg

What version of Cakewalk is this? 

I never used that dialog before, but since I have experience with the E-Mu 2x2 and it is hooked up, I just checked and it works.  I tend to use the track control widget. For the MIDI track in question, make sure the [ I ]nput control does not say "None." I tested the dialog you want to use after I set the MIDI Input control widget [ I } to All > Omni (all devices, all midi channels) and the dialog you are using worked.  I also tried the port I named "Available (front)" and "P2500 (No FX).  Those are the friendly names I gave the E-Mu 2x2's port to help me remember which is which.

Again, if the MIDI [ I }nput control widget said "None," the dialog box was also greyed out for that routing option.  But once I chose "All > Omni" or one of the named ports, the routing option for that dialog box worked.

I never used that dialog box before, but my results were consistent.

If this doesn't work for you, post some screen shots of the widget, the options and what you have selected. Based on what you wrote, it sounds like the E-Mu 2x2 is properly checked under Preferences > MIDI > Devices.

Edited by User 905133
fixed a wrong word typo

There might be other ways neither of us have seen, but here's where I found it:

Track View > Tracks (a Track View Menu Tab) > Selected Tracks Input (on the drop down). 

Not sure if that's how the OP got there, but the dialog looks identical.

[      View     v ]   [  Options    v ]   [   Tracks     v ]   [    Clips     v ]  [     MIDI      v ]   [Region FX  v ]        

Does this mean you will be looking for another thing to tweak in your themes?  😉  (I couldn't find it in Colin's theming guide.)

NOTE:   From what I have seen [ I ] for the specific track cannot be "None" or "Omni" for this to work.  [ I ] need to be either "All Inputs" or a specific input.

Edited by User 905133
edits
  • Like 1

This dialogue is from Tracks > Selected Track Inputs.

If you're not seeing either Audio or MIDI as options, it usually means those tracks are either not selected, or they've been archived or something, so the option to change them is disabled. Eg: if you select only Audio tracks, the MIDI part will be disabled in the dialogue box.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Anthony Griffiths said:

I'm trying to set a midi imput for a track but its greyed out. In the track I click none/selected track inputs but where it says midi inputs I can't select anything. 

What happens if you go into the track itself and select the input on there directly, rather than using Tracks > Selected Track Inputs? Is that what you mean by you can't change it, or is it only from the Selected Track Inputs thing?

Edited by Lord Tim
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

This dialogue is from Tracks > Selected Track Inputs.

I know that.  I even said that.  

6 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Track View > Tracks (a Track View Menu Tab) > Selected Tracks Input (on the drop down). 

6 hours ago, User 905133 said:

[      View     v ]   [  Options    v ]   [   Tracks     v ]   [    Clips     v ]  [     MIDI      v ]   [Region FX  v ]        

Edited by User 905133

4 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

What happens if you go into the track itself and select the input on there directly, rather than using Tracks > Selected Track Inputs? Is that what you mean by you can't change it, or is it only from the Selected Track Inputs thing?

21 hours ago, User 905133 said:

I tend to use the track control widget. For the MIDI track in question, make sure the [ I ]nput control does not say "None." I tested the dialog you want to use after I set the MIDI Input control widget [ I  ]to All > Omni (all devices, all midi channels) and the dialog you are using worked.  

. . . if the MIDI [ I ] nput control widget said "None," the dialog box was also greyed out for that routing option.  But once I chose "All > Omni" or one of the named ports, the routing option for that dialog box worked.

On 4/9/2023 at 6:43 AM, User 905133 said:

Does this mean you will be looking for another thing to tweak in your themes?  😉

Those antique MFC dialogs are not themeable. My guess/hope is that as time goes on, the devs will convert them all to the newer format as seen in the Export dialog, at which time I can start pestering them to allow us to change the colors.

• Great Idea 1

21 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Those antique MFC dialogs are not themeable. My guess/hope is that as time goes on, the devs will convert them all to the newer format as seen in the Export dialog, at which time I can start pestering them to allow us to change the colors.

I also had stuff like this in mind when I posted the following comment in the thread where people are discussing "Updates? WTF is going on with them?" [my paraphrasing to project what I see as some attitudes implicit in the discussion]  😉 

7 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Optimistic speculation: Maybe they are tackling some longstanding bugs that are baked in due to old code that are so embedded they are nearly impossible to repair.  Those would take more time to unravel and resolve.

I called it optimistic speculation because I wouldn't mind if it were true even though  I think its highly unlikely.  

@User 905133 Note to self: Be prepared for other forum members to tell you its not likely, even though you already said that yourself.  😜