Motley Crue is an example of how ugly the music business is...

hockeyjx

On 4/7/2023 at 7:30 PM, craigb said:

hunter+quote.jpg

I'm curious about the negative side.

Luckily, we can make music for ourselves now, and promote it oursleves - that's the bad part. For what I hear about the music business, I wouldn't sign up with a corporation even if they asked me to. The fascination is gone. And I would never give up the rights to anything I wrote. I'd rather be buried with it - hopefully not any time soon.

On 4/9/2023 at 5:38 PM, hockeyjx said:

John 5 is a great technical player, but I can't tell you one riff he wrote. I'd rather be the "sloppy player" who wrote the iconic riffs, than the technically proficient guy who can play anything ....but can't come up with the iconic riffs. Every. Single. Time.

Ditto. I my experience, fast scale players, as a general rule, can't write squat. And the problem with practicing scales and riffs to no end is that you automatically form a reflex to revert back to them, instead of writing/playing/imagining lines. That's why I personally avoid it, and that's part of the reason. In honesty, I kind of avoid practicing, in general - what am I saying, I avoid it altogether - so I'm not fast at all - and don't miss it at all, except when I listen to Mike Oldfield, Eric Johnson, and John Petrucci, maybe Tony MacAlpine, in his early days - those are some of the very few guys i find can make music while playing fast, and not just play whatever, fast - so they actually make me want to be able to do that, instead of just ignoring them, which is the default mode for most.

On the other hand, my favorite guitar players are Dave Gilmour, The Edge, Tony Iommi, B. B. King, so on. People who wrote music on guitar, not just played fast, to no apparent outcome .

Edited by Olaf

On 4/23/2023 at 7:00 PM, Olaf said:

Ditto. I my experience, fast scale players, as a general rule, can't write squat. And the problem with practicing scales and riffs to no end is that you automatically form a reflex to revert back to them, instead of writing/playing/imagining lines. That's why I personally avoid, and that's part of the reason. In honesty, I kind of avoid practicing, in general - what am I saying, I avoid it altogether - so I'm not fast at all - and don't miss it at all, except when I listen to Mike Oldfield, Eric Johnson, and John Petrucci, maybe Tony MacAlpine, in his early days - those are some of the very few guys i find can make music while playing fast, and not just play whatever, fast - so they actually make me want to be able to do that, instead of just ignoring them, which is the default mode for most.

On the other hand, my favorite guitar players are Dave Gilmour, The Edge, Tony Iommi, B. B. King, so on. People who wrote music on guitar, not just played fast, to no apparent outcome .

It's important to note two things IMO:

- Music is primarily a form of entertainment.

- People are not defined by the knowledge they have, but what they do with said knowledge.

Edited by Bruno de Souza Lino
  • Like 2