Bind new template to existing projects?

Dave G

Question

I have several existing Cakewalk projects (.CWP) for which I'd like to have the same project template. As I understand, the project template serves as a "wrapper" for my projects.

I just created a new project template which I really like. I'd like to use this for not only future projects but also the ones I've already started...

Is there a way to "bind" my existing projects into the new template without any unnecessary hassle? I'd like them all to be the same.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Dave G

9 answers to this question

Correct me if I'm wrong: the templates are starting points for a project, not a wrapper. I don't think there is a way to "apply" a template to an existing project.

I think you can copy/paste several items from project to project, in addition to midi data and the like: Window layouts come to mind.

But I can be wrong -

Hi Dave,

I am not sure what kind of results you will get, but from the Media Browser, drag and drop a copy of your template into an existing project (while it's open) and the two should migrate into one.  You may have to move your tracks into new tracks for the template to be effective.

It's worth a shot.

Kind regards,

tecknot

4 hours ago, tecknot said:

Hi Dave,

I am not sure what kind of results you will get, but from the Media Browser, drag and drop a copy of your template into an existing project (while it's open) and the two should migrate into one.  You may have to move your tracks into new tracks for the template to be effective.

tecknot

Doing this creates two new MIDI tracks: "Track #" and "Matrix Data Track". I'm afraid this isn't what I'm looking for... (shrug)

2 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Your best bet might be to get familiar with Track Templates. They're meant for use with existing projects. You can save the tracks as you've set them up in your new project template and then use them in your existing projects.

Thank you, I will look into that.

However, it seems as though, when I open one of those existing projects, the layout/settings I have in place for that particular project don't seem too different from my existing template. It may not be a necessary routine (after all, it's my OCD), but I will look at Track Templates just the same.

4 hours ago, Andres Medina said:

Correct me if I'm wrong: the templates are starting points for a project, not a wrapper. I don't think there is a way to "apply" a template to an existing project.

I think you can copy/paste several items from project to project, in addition to midi data and the like: Window layouts come to mind.

I wasn't sure what word to use, so I chose "wrapper". Guess I was hungry for candy at the time.

I guess I could take the manual route and copy individual tracks from the project into the blank template and do it that way.

Thanks for all your responses! :)

2 hours ago, User 905133 said:

When you say layout, if you mean the UI layout, you might want to look into using custom Workspaces and maybe Screensets.    

Yes. @Dave G, can you say exactly what it is about your templates that you would like to apply to your existing projects?

If it is the layout rather than routing, FX or other nuts-and-bolts audio things, Screensets can be applied from one project to another, as can Workspaces (using the window layout feature). I use Workspaces to quickly switch themes but not for anything else.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2023 at 12:22 AM, Starship Krupa said:

Yes. @Dave G, can you say exactly what it is about your templates that you would like to apply to your existing projects?

If it is the layout rather than routing, FX or other nuts-and-bolts audio things, Screensets can be applied from one project to another, as can Workspaces (using the window layout feature). I use Workspaces to quickly switch themes but not for anything else.

Workspaces, screensets, templates, lenses...I sometimes get confused by all these functions, and wonder why there are so many! (shrug) Sometimes it feels like Cakewalk doesn't have proprietary names for some of its windows.

Anyhow -- It's difficult to explain in a visual sense. But this is my current "Basic" project template & Lenses configuration (program auto-starts into this template):

LENS #1: Console (Full-screen console view: 11 Strips + Master, Metronome, Preview strips)

LENS #2: Track + PRV (Track window above, PRV (3" high) and Controller Pane (1.5" high) on bottom, collapsed Inspector and Browser -- Browser set in Instruments tab)

LENS #3: PRV (full screen PRV, collapsed Browser, with collapsible quick-track selection on the right)

TEMPLATE:

~ Custom set of Modules in menu

~ Default Draw Duration and Time Snap set to 1/16 (Last Touched disabled)

~ Nothing changed in [View v][Options v][Tracks v]... menu bar

~ Track window shows Track Control button set to [All] (auto-sets to [Lens], per above Lens #2)

~ PRV vertical gridlines on

If anyone can recommend a more sensible way to do this that can be applied to new projects and existing projects, please do. :)

Edited by Dave G
  • Like 1

I understand that yes, it can be overwhelming to have all of this options! However, each one was implemented to cover a function, and those functions seem to overlap sometimes.

For me, I decided to adopt a flexible workflow, instead of a static one: I mean, I have my basic configurations fixed, like the main template for all my projects, the preferred workspace to start with, and the basic 3 or 4 screensets that are most used. I don't use lenses because it hides functions.

From there I can twitch here and there depending on the project.

Sometimes I save a new template for a particular project that is comprised of several cues that share orchestration, or a new screenset to address a particular task. 

Currently I use 3 project templates: Basic - Masterization - Remote Recording

Those covers my needs, and they are dissimilar enough to be separated.

I guess everyone has a different workflow and make different decisions regarding this settings? 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Dave G said:

LENS #1: Console (Full-screen console view: 11 Strips + Master, Metronome, Preview strips)

LENS #2: Track + PRV (Track window above, PRV (3" high) and Controller Pane (1.5" high) on bottom, collapsed Inspector and Browser -- Browser set in Instruments tab)

LENS #3: PRV (full screen PRV, collapsed Browser, with collapsible quick-track selection on the right)

TEMPLATE:

~ Custom set of Modules in menu

~ Default Draw Duration and Time Snap set to 1/16 (Last Touched disabled)

~ Nothing changed in [View v][Options v][Tracks v]... menu bar

~ Track window shows Track Control button set to [All] (auto-sets to [Lens], per above Lens #2)

~ PRV vertical gridlines on

If anyone can recommend a more sensible way to do this that can be applied to new projects and existing projects, please do. :)

I don't use templates, but your three Workspaces make sense to me for the most part. If I understand what they are intended to do, LENS #2 and LENS #3 would seem to work for existing projects.  With LENS #1, as I understand it, the number of tracks / strips is not stored in and restored from a Workspace. Other than that, it should do what you want.

• As for what you list in your TEMPLATE section,  to the best of my knowledge:
    • ~ Custom set of Modules in menu
      • the Control Bar settings and location can be stored and restored using Workspaces
    • ~ Default Draw Duration and Time Snap set to 1/16 (Last Touched disabled)
      • I don't know off hand if these can be stored and restored using Workspaces.
      • Maybe someone else knows; if not, I'd be willing to test this because it would help me learn more about Workspaces.
    • ~ Nothing changed in [View v][Options v][Tracks v]... menu bar
      • Changed from what?
    • ~ Track window shows Track Control button set to [All] (auto-sets to [Lens], per above Lens #2)
      • I don't think you can use Workspaces and have the Track Control say "All" instead of  "[workspaces]".
      • Does it matter what it says as long as all of the track control widgets show up with the Workspace?
      • I can play with this to see if the Track Control Widgets can not be controlled by Workspaces.
      • UPDATE:  Good news!!
        • We do have the option to restore or to not restore the Track Control Manager via Workspaces.
        • Manage Workspaces >  Load from Workspaces > Uncheck Track Control Manager.
    • ~ PRV vertical gridlines on
      • I don't use the PRV, but I assume vertical gridlines = on would persist from wherever the vertical gridlines gets set.
      • Maybe someone who uses the PRV knows.

Based on your needs and what others have said, it might be easier for you to use "none" as your Workspace and just use your new templates from this point going forward.  While Workspaces can be applied to existing projects and new ones, if you want to change projects which were built using earlier templates, Workspaces might not be able to change everything you want changed.

Hope this helps.

Edited by User 905133
(2) Added UPDATE re: "All" in TCM; (1) fixed typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1