Is There a Way to Run Multiple Instances of Cakewalk?

david40

I use several audio interfaces (Apollo Solo, Roland TD-50X, Line 6 Helix, etc.) and it is a royal pain having to manually reconfigure the Audio Devices Setup every time I switch interfaces. I'd like to know if there is a way to run separate instances of Cakewalk so I can open an instance of Cakewalk that is configured for each particular audio interface? I am not talking about running them at the same time. I just want to load an instance of each configuration as needed without the need to reconfigure the settings every time.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Like 1

No, but that's a good feature request :) 

I guess you could have several versions of your aud.ini file that you could rename before starting Cakewalk that has the relevant settings in there. Not elegant but would get you over the line until a feature like this is implemented.

• Like 2

Thanks, that is an idea I could work with. I also tried installing an old version 5  of SONAR, and that installed just fine next to the latest version of Cakewalk, but apparently version 5 does not support ASIO drivers. I wanted to try version  8.5 but I lost my serial number and there does not appear to be any way to retrieve that.

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

An easier way to switch between hardware profiles is in the works.  It probably won't make the next release (which should be out later this month), but hopefully the following one.

That is an interesting problem to solve since ASIO drivers do not play well together. With my PC I must only plug in the interface I want to use at boot up because if multiple interfaces are plugged in at the same time Windows will only recognize and allow one ASIO driver to work and I never know which one will get priority. I guess we will still be stuck with plugging in only the interface we want to work with and maybe the solution for Cakewalk is to be able to choose the hardware setup as Cakewalk starts?

4 hours ago, msmcleod said:

An easier way to switch between hardware profiles is in the works.  It probably won't make the next release (which should be out later this month), but hopefully the following one.

That's good to hear. It's not a big deal, but I have an audio I/F on a couple machines, and I have a Boss SY-1000 connected to them. When I'm just practicing/noodling around on guitar I often use the SY-1000 as an I/F and find myself switching between the two.

It depends on the interface I guess because I often switch between my Scarlett 6i6 and my Motu M4  and all I do is close Cakewalk, turn off  the interface and then turn the other one then Restart Cakewalk and  all is working perfectly as before. Outputs are the same and inputs 1-4 are showing in the tracks. 

I can also do this with my Tascam 1641 and my Soundcraft mixer but that’s rare. 

And there’s some big differences as the Motu doesn’t have SPDIF and the Tascam has 14 channels. The Soundcraft is only 2x2. Etc 

Edited by John Vere