Where are Workspaces files saved?

Andres Medina

I will look.  If you have a file list program (like Everything), look for *.lns files [lower case LNS].

Mine are at C:\Users\ {my account name} \AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Lenses\User .

Hope this helps.

Clarification: That's for User Workspaces.  For Factory Workspaces, mine are at  C:\Users\ {my account name} \AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Lenses\Factory .

Edited by User 905133
(3) to add a clarification re Factory v. User *.lns files; (2) to add a link to another post that says the same thing; (1) to add my *.lns files location
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, sjoens said:

Maybe this folder could be added to Preferences >File >Folder Locations.

Why?  They are super easy to find if you need to access them.  Also, I'm not sure it would be good for users to start messing around with the Workspaces location.  If improvements are to be done, to me it would be more important to have a Workspaces file hierarchy (i.e., Workspaces within user-named folders).  Of course, if having a Workspaces hierarchy means users can designate an alternate location, that would be a side benefit for those who want to change the default location.

Changing the code just to have a user-designated location adds nothing.  A file hierarchy (Workspaces within folders) adds something useful for people who use Workspaces on a regular basis.

17 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Why?  They are super easy to find if you need to access them.

Maybe 'cause people keep asking where they are?? Some also don't know "Lenses" are "Workspaces".

Cakewalk likes to put folders all over the place. I'd like to see every Cakewalk related folder listed in Preferences. As long as they are, I should have no confusion about where to look for stuff.  I hate confusion. It confuses me! :D

Apparently some presets are stored in Registry, which makes no sense to me.

Edited by sjoens
  • Like 1

What would actually be useful is that things like this are actually somehow stored with your account.   Then if your computer blew up, and you needed to re build,  your user preferences are stored under your name and account. It could be a simple " Save User preferences to your Account" as well as " Load User Preferences from account"  options in the help menu. 

I'm planning on buying a new computer later once I've saved up enough Gig money and I'm already making a list of things I need to do first. I'll add this. 

As far as workspaces go I deleted about 12 of them I had made and only kept 2. "One Monitor" and " 2 Monitors" I found I never used the rest.  But I have put a bit of work into those 2 and it would be nice to transfer them to the new machine. 

• Like 2

Yes, once in a while you've got to make a clean install, and is not easy to rebuild your system as it was when personal configuration/preferences are in different places. I know that probably there are good reasons for this from the programmer point of view, but in a heavenly paradise of software, having the ability to have a consolidated place for customizations would be great, and as John Vere points out, even better if it is in the cloud.

As a reference, Dorico (Steinberg's music notation app), recently created a "Library" menu, when all your preferences are stored, and you can even compare and/or edit your current project versus your defaults. Of course, in music notation there are literally hundreds of notation options, so it feels more relevant for that kind of use.

Anyway...

The larger issue of making an automatic backup of everything Cakewalk uses is beyond my scope and interest here. I cannot even imagine what Cakewalk would have to do to backup all of the validly registered plug-ins presumably based on the contents of VSTSCAN and other files.

As for backing up *.lns files, I did that within the past year to move them from one PC to a newer PC.  It was really simple: (1) copy them to a "thumb" drive, (2) copy them to the default location on the newer PC.  I did an extra step: (3) move all the older Workspaces to a sub-folder ("Archives").

You can make it more complicated if you want to.

Edited by User 905133
minor word changes

mmmmh... I think you have a point.

In addition, just realized that Dorico's library handles the multiple options that relates to music notation, not the program preferences itself, like hot keys, storage folders, windows themes, etc.

So, in this respect, CW is even ahead, as in many other things.