Importing MP3 files not possible!

carlo

Hi Cakewalk friends,

I have been using Cakewalk for decades and  still don`t understand why such a simple function like importing a MP3 file is so complicated! It seems to me that we need an external encoder!

I can export my files to MP3 but I can`t import a MP3 file ! What am I doing wrong here?

Can you help me please?

THX

4 minutes ago, John Bradley said:

I just position the 'now' cursor where I want it to be, and drag-and-drop an MP3 file onto the track pane.

Creates a new track with the MP3 audio starting at 'now'.

Importing or dragging doesn`t work with mp3 files here!

cakewalk mp3 import issue.JPG

2 minutes ago, Andres Medina said:

I can confirm that in my system Mp3 are importing as usual.

Just noticed that your file extension appears to be a wav file? 

It`s a MP3 file but I think cakewalk is trying to convert it to a .wav file and paste it to a track. I think the problem is in the converting it to a project!

8 minutes ago, Andres Medina said:

Just noticed that your file extension appears to be a wav file? 

The DAW only works with wav format in the project.

During import the audio may be resampled if different from the project sample rate then is written out as a wav file. 

The DAW is having trouble writing the imported file to the H: drive.

If H: is a removable drive, it may be instructive to see what happens if the import is performed with the project located on a fixed internal drive. Maybe use the system drive and the factory default project folder.

2 minutes ago, scook said:

The DAW only works with wav format in the project.

During import the audio may be resampled if different from the project sample rate and written out as a wav file. 

The DAW is having trouble writing the imported file to the H: drive.

If H: is a removable drive, it may be instructive to see what happens if the import is performed with the project located on a fixed internal drive.

My H: drive is an internal disk.

I noticed the same problem happens to .Flac files too!

The problem may be related to the conversion to wav procedure!

I have no idea.

The OP started out as a decades long issue with mp3 imports. Fortunately, there is a very long history of threads we can review for issues with mp3 imports.

Import failures involving conversion to wav are rare. Most are DRM or system permission issues.

It took 2 additional posts to discover this is not an mp3 issue but at least an mp3 and flac issue. 

Any other formats involved?

A work around is to open the MP 3 or Flac file in a wave editor like Audacity and convert it to Wave at the sample rate you are using. 

I’ve never had issues withMP 3 but makes me think that if both the sample rate and format are different then Cakewalk might choke on the file. MP 3 files also contain a lot of meta data which might cause a  conflict. 

Edited by John Vere

Issue solved!

The problem was related to multiples audio inputs-outputs enabled on my Windows System!

I had to use Virtual Audio Cables for transmitting Classes through Chrome MEET using OBS for video and it may caused Cakewalk to not handle the audio converting files correctly!

After disabling everything except my Focusrite audio Interface, everything is working great!

I would like to thank you guys for trying to help me on this issue.

Really thank you

All the best

• Like 3

Strange. File import/conversion is an offline process that should not care what hardware (physical or virtual) drivers are in place.  Seems more like one of those drivers was not allowing the .WAV file to be written to the drive as opposed to interferring with the conversion process, although I suppose there could be some contention for a CODEC. In any case this might be something you want to take up with the virtual audio cable developer to get a full solution.

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2023 at 4:20 PM, carlo said:

Issue solved!

The problem was related to multiples audio inputs-outputs enabled on my Windows System!

I had to use Virtual Audio Cables for transmitting Classes through Chrome MEET using OBS for video and it may caused Cakewalk to not handle the audio converting files correctly!

After disabling everything except my Focusrite audio Interface, everything is working great!

I would like to thank you guys for trying to help me on this issue.

Really thank you

All the best

Hi Carlo, I've the same problem here, can't import mp3 files . Can you explane again the way you fixed it?  I don't speak english well, so please tell me step by step, thank you (if you can, please use italian language). I disabled integrated audio, but it didn't work.

2 hours ago, John Vere said:

What I read into this is why most audio interfaces now have a loop back feature that eliminates the need for a virtual cable. That way we can stay in ASIO mode and still use programs like OBS. 

Thanks for replying, I think many people don't have this problem, otherwise i'd have found many discussions about that. May be i'm wrong? Even in this topic someone told he has not this problem 

Well there’s sort of always been a problem with running multiple apps that use the ASIO audio driver. I do not have that issue now with the MotuM4 which has Loopback.  I can capture audio from Cakewalk and stream  it into OBS as well as I often have Wave Lab, Windows media player and  Movie Studio all running. The best move I made was to use 48kHz sample rate globally. 

Edited by John Vere

45 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Well there’s sort of always been a problem with running multiple apps that use the ASIO audio driver. I do not have that issue now with the MotuM4 which has Loopback.  I can capture audio from Cakewalk and stream  it into OBS as well as I often have Wave Lab, Windows media player and  Movie Studio all running. The best move I made was to use 48kHz sample rate globally. 

My question is: why Cakewalk doesn't import mp3? Not even mp3 that it has made!

My first comment was in retrospect of how Carlo solved his issue. Possibly you are not using a good audio driver. The rest of us use ASIO or sometimes WASAPI if using a different computer that doesn't have a Audio interface.  But as David Baay said the driver shouldn't matter but it did seem to solve Carlo's problem. So you never know. Anyhow you most certainly can import any type of Audio files to Cakewalk and it will convert them to WAV at the sample rate of your project.

I just dragged 30 Videos that are my backing tracks I just finished into Cakewalk so I could use some audio analyzing tools to make sure they are all the same. I think the Movies use a MP4 audio file. There's no actual Video when you do this, just the audio tracks. 

616968463_Screenshot(1101).thumb.png.7b37a75f7feb7ecc8f01cf295e394a2b.png

14 hours ago, Andres Medina said:

At least in my system I have no problem importing Mp3. I mean, it converts the mp3 file while importing, but once converted it plays just fine.

thank you, yes I think the problem (issue?) is in my system but...where? For some day i won't use pc, see you in a few days