Laptop Specs + example Video of Laptop + Cbb?

sadicus

Cakewalk works and looks the same whether on a laptop or a desktop.  Works the same regardless of Windows OS version.

I have a laptop I used for on-site (live) recordings.  I had an MOTU 8 channel (8 analog preamps) USB connected recording interface. 

Laptop worked great after "taming" (latency and dropouts).

I have an  old (2017) Dell "gaming" laptop.  It has a 7th gen i5 CPU (Not officially Win 11 compatible).  It came with a 130 watt power adapter rather than the puny 60 or 90 many come with.  A gaming laptop was selected as it has better air flow and cooling.  The cooling and higher power adapter are a plus when the laptop is powered on and used for long periods.  I find recording a 4 hour gig requires the PC to be on nearly 6 hours.

If I were to buy a new recording laptop today, same requirements for type and at least a current production i5 CPU and Windows 11.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2023 at 8:49 AM, sadicus said:

Seeking video tutorial of using a PC laptop recording live with Cbb.
also,
What are some good Laptop CPU / GPU specs for recording LIVE? (Vocal, Guitar, drums, Bass)
I/O
PC (win10 pro) Laptop Specs

I purchased the following Laptop listed below and have been using CBb on it for mobile studio sessions,  It has been great for road work.  I did change out the HD for a 2TB NVMe M.2 HD but that was it.

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 15.6" FHD Touchscreen Laptop, Intel Core i7-1165G7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GeForce MX450, Backlit Keyboard, FP, Windows 11 Pro, Graphite Grey

You don't need a video tutorial on how to use CBb on a laptop.  If you use it, then you use it the same way on a laptop.   Watch some videos on You Tube and see the folks using it on a laptop.  My main setup is for desktop use as I have it connected to several devices, so it's not going anywhere.   My mobile rig gets connected to a Roland Octa-Capture in a 2U case along with a hardware compressor; that's all I need to record in the field and then bring my sessions back to my DAW and save the files on my storage drive to bring up the project later on my desktop computer with CBb. 

Good Luck 👍

Edited by jesse g
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2023 at 5:49 AM, sadicus said:

Seeking video tutorial of using a PC laptop recording live with Cbb.
also,
What are some good Laptop CPU / GPU specs for recording LIVE? (Vocal, Guitar, drums, Bass)
I/O
PC (win10 pro) Laptop Specs

If your plan is to record a handful of simultaneous audio tracks on the laptop and then bring the project back to the main (presumably tower/desktop) DAW computer, a Core 2 Quad and 8G RAM and a 7200RPM spinner from the time of the W. administration would serve the purpose of the recording laptop. Recording audio data to disk is not a computationally "expensive" task. 

As for I/O, whatever Focusrite or Presonus has the number of inputs you need, you can't go wrong these days.

Mixing is another story. It's plug-ins that burden a DAW system. But even my 2017 i7-7600U Dell business laptop with its whopping two cores can handle some pretty complex plug-in loads without needing to freeze tracks.

If you are curious about single screen vs. 2 or 3 monitor real estate management, that's where the Skylight interface really comes into its own. It scales down as well as it scales up. The D key (and shift-D) to quickly open and close the Multidock is golden.