Higher Sample Rates Sound Bad(44100, 4800)

Hannah

I'm not sure why, many other people are able to use higher sample rates but I am stuck using 8000. Doesn't sound as nice of course! I was considering of maybe updating my audio driver, but I am running Windows 11 and there's no drivers on the HP website. My PC is an HP Spectre x360 15 df0xxx with 16 GB of RAM, i7 core processor, and has a NVIDIA GeForce MX150 GPU.  I have 33.6 GB of 475GB on my current SSD. Any idea what could this be?

18 hours ago, Hannah said:

I'm not sure why, many other people are able to use higher sample rates but I am stuck using 8000. Doesn't sound as nice of course! I was considering of maybe updating my audio driver, but I am running Windows 11 and there's no drivers on the HP website. My PC is an HP Spectre x360 15 df0xxx with 16 GB of RAM, i7 core processor, and has a NVIDIA GeForce MX150 GPU.  I have 33.6 GB of 475GB on my current SSD. Any idea what could this be?

I have HP minitowers and an older (win7 era) laptop that was upgraded to win 10.  I suggest running HP assistant to get as  much information about your system and if it is still under warranty, contact HP.  

12 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Even the cheapest generic onboard audio interface should be capable of 44.1 or 48KHz.

2 hours ago, Kalle Rantaaho said:

I've never heard of such a problem.  As Bitflipper writes, any generic onboard card should manage 44,1 / 48 KHz without problems.

My previous HP laptop (also win 7 era, now dead due to overheating) had a sound issue recording digital audio when I first got it. I forget the exact details: either it would not record digital audio or it would not record digital at standard quality rates. 

Ultimately, I went to the sound chip's manufacturer (IDT) and downloaded an official driver that was for my laptop.  I was never sure if HP intentionally crippled digital recording or if they just messed up in implementing the audio system.

To verify that it wasn't my specific laptop, I went to Staples where I had purchased the laptop, and tried a demo.  It had the same driver mine originally had and also had the issue. I didn't update the one at Staples, though I did report it to the service department.

I am not a PC technician.  There are others here who know more about PC and laptop internals thab I do.  After checking that yours is a more modern HP laptop, I was reminded of my sound chip driver issue. 

I agree with bitflipper and Kalle Rantaaho, the on-board chip should be able to handle 44.1/48 KHz. The 8 KHz limit could be your settings. That is where I would start looking. But don't rule out a driver issue.  It would be good to know what chip they are using for audio and what driver they have installed in case the issue cannot be resolved by working with the laptop's settings.

Edited by User 905133
fixed typo

I'm always reluctant to tell people to spend their way out of a problem. Sometimes, it's the only answer, but not always.

That particular interface isn't one I've ever heard of. It could be fine, or it could be garbage. I'd stick with known brands such as Focusrite for entry-level interfaces. But again, I'd prefer to figure out what the problem is before throwing money at it.

I'm still confused as to why you're "stuck at 8000". What happens when you try to set the sample rate at 44.1 KHz? Does the interface refuse, or does it let you set the rate but sounds bad?

Check that you dont have any other programs running that access audio that might be setting the sample rate. eg webcam.  My interface is set at 48000, but I used to run the standalone Amplitube version4 and it would insist on setting the sample rate back to 44100. Just a thought.

Steve

4 hours ago, bitflipper said:

I'm always reluctant to tell people to spend their way out of a problem. Sometimes, it's the only answer, but not always

Ordinarily I am inclined to agree with you but in the case of problems with onboard audio, substandard devices ( such as those garbage USB guitar cables)  and bootleg drivers (ASIO4ALL, etc) the simplest solution is to pry open the wallet and get a proper interface which will instantly solve probably 90% of your issues.

16 hours ago, Hannah said:

Yeah, it refuses.

Let's start at square one. Do you see other sample rates offered in your Preferences? If so, then we can assume that the interface driver has informed Cakewalk that it supports them. If you choose a higher rate, does it "stick"?

SR1.PNG

• Great Idea 2