random thread

pwal³

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/15/2024 at 11:21 PM, 57Gregy said:

The $90 used/refurbished computer arrived a day early. I've spent the last few hours trying to set it up like I want and downloaded CbB before they stopped any more downloads.
It's a lot smaller than my previous machines and wants to lay down instead of stand up. It came with el cheapo mouse and keyboard. The mouse was broken, but it's so rickety I probably wouldn't have used it anyway. The keyboard is intact so I'll use that. There was no mention of them being included, so it's not a big deal.
It seems to work pretty well. Much faster that my last box. 
Waiting for the "gotcha".

With the rapid advancement of computer technology just about everything on this machine is different from my old ones. 
For instance, the graphics card I bought a couple of years ago is too wide for this computer's expansion slots. I really got to like having multiple monitors.
What is a slot about 2 1/2" or ~64 mm wide called? PCI? PCIe? PCIe 3? A reason to become a Luddite?
Hmm. Would the Device manager tell me anything useful?
I'll look.

Nope.

Edited by 57Gregy
Action completed.

16 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

What is a slot about 2 1/2" or ~64 mm wide called? PCI? PCIe? PCIe 3? A reason to become a Luddite?

I thought graphics card only came in Dual or Single Slot configuration. 2.5 slots?

Or are you saying your card is too high? (Boy that's wide open right there!!)

[edit] Did I miss the mark here and your talking about then the actual slot? If you are talking about the slot the are PCIe x1, or a PCIe x8 & x16, both of those are the same size. 

:)

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 1:28 PM, Grem said:

Didnyounread then article I referenced? That will give you some terminology you can use.

So, it looks like I have PCIe low profile slots. Never had a computer so narrow before.

Man, what is up with the prices of graphics cards lately? And since the machine is a refurbished 12-year-old HP Compaq, is it even worth doing more upgrades? I sure don't want to pay more for a video card than I paid for the computer ($90).

For now, I'll just get used to a single monitor while I wait for W 10's imminent demise and save for the next one. 

5 minutes ago, 57Gregy said:

So, it looks like I have PCIe low profile slots. Never had a computer so narrow before.

Man, what is up with the prices of graphics cards lately? And since the machine is a refurbished 12-year-old HP Compaq, is it even worth doing more upgrades? I sure don't want to pay more for a video card than I paid for the computer ($90).

For now, I'll just get used to a single monitor while I wait for W 10's imminent demise and save for the next one. 

A 12-year old PC is hopelessly outdated. A refurbished one? That's even worse. Don't put a dime into it - just my opinion...

• Great Idea 1

22 minutes ago, 57Gregy said:

Man, what is up with the prices of graphics cards lately?

They are MUCH better today than they were just a few years ago!  I still don't have a real video card for my newest i9 screamer (wonderfully put together by Jim Roseberry here! 😉👍), I'm just using the on-board graphics.  When I was doing IT consulting for a few years right before the C0VID scam killed that employment and two side businesses, we couldn't even buy a lame video card for a client for less than around $2,000!  I went to a Best Buy one afternoon and saw a line of people milling about outside .  When I asked what was up I found out that they were going to be camping there all night so they could be first in line to buy a video card the next day when the store opened because some were finally arriving!  WTF??! 😮  This was all due to crypto-miners.

Although my on-board graphics can power my 40" 4k monitor for work stuff (albeit with visible glitching from time to time), I certainly can't do any high-end video processing or play games with it...

Oh, and I have a wealthy friend who bought a high-end PC online two years ago so he could live-stream on YouTube.  When it had an issue (because one of the included hard-drives was a repurposed security drive that had failed - yes, he got scammed!), I found out he had paid $3,400 for just the video card with the entire rest of his computer costing him $2,900.  I recommended him to Jim here (ironically his name is also Jim), but he chose to just replace the parts that weren't up-to-spec instead.

• Sad 1

It was about 2 or three years ago my brother gave me his now deceased computer. I bought a card not long after that and it couldn't have been more than 40-50 bucks. It is a G-force thingy that I could run up to 3 monitors through on that XP computer. Worked great on that almost 20-year-old computer. I like older women, too. Well, I did before I got old! 
There are still some cheap ones around. I'll cross that bus bridge when I get to it.