Life Sentence edit

Keith Wilby

Keith , I've been waiting for someone else to weigh in before saying ..  your first mix was Way better.  You lost the dynamics and magic you had going in the first one , even with the lower volumes on the verses. This one seems slammed into a limiter and for sure needs de-essing .  A quick look at the waveform and listen between the two should confirm it.                Best of luck with the song ..                     Respectfully ..  mark

Keith , Great Job on the remix ! You got the magic back. All the backing sounds nice and clear with good highs on my normal listening system. The vocals however are still pretty shrill in the real high frequency range. I believe I would look at your boost in the 8 to 12k range. Lowering it may reduce the amount of de-essing that it Really needs. This is for sure now my favorite song you've done. As far as tagging someone in a response , just type in the "at" icon and start typing their screen name. A list will quickly pop up of the names to click on and choose..   I hope you continue to improve this one to 100%.            Later ..  mark

17 hours ago, mark skinner said:

The vocals however are still pretty shrill in the real high frequency range. I believe I would look at your boost in the 8 to 12k range. Lowering it may reduce the amount of de-essing that it Really needs.

Thank you Mark. I've done a little homework on "de-essing" but it's something new to me. Turns out I have "BT DeEsser" in my arsenal of FX so I'll have a play around with it. Presumably it should be first in the FX chain?

Edited by Keith Wilby

Keith , I'm by far no expert on de-essing , but a general rule is "before compression and after EQ".   If the EQ is drastically boosting the highs , de-essing may not even be necessary .. only an EQ adjustment.  It really depends on how well you control your voice and your proximity to the mic that causes sibilance issues. You normally do a Very good job of this , I'd just try an EQ correction first . If it gets dull sounding I'd go with de-essing.      mark