SOLVED! Unwanted Tempo increase.

Harley Dear

Hi all. This is going to sound real dumb, but I am getting a problem with CbB increasing tempo and I am sure I am not imagining things.

We use CbB as backing track for our band -all MIDI files. I have the 'View Tempo' ribbon bar on which shows a constant flat line. I sure I have also disabled all the tempo increases in the Events list.

The laptop I am using is a games machine 0 Rog Strix G15 Asus. We hook up to a Soundcraft Ui24R. The power source is very stable here (in NZ )  as well.

I had noticed some time ago, a slight variation in tempo when using an on-line metronome to gauge the tempo of a song but thought it was my imagination. Now I am not so convinced it was that.

So my question is, is there anything you know that might affect the tempo in a Cakewalk file? I am not computer tech savvy by the way.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Harley

Edited by Harley Dear

I've had timing trouble with pure MIDI projects in the past.

The issue I had is that normally timing is tied to the audio clock, but as there were no audio tracks in my project, the timing was drifting.

There's two solutions:
1. Just add a blank audio track.
2. Set the timing in Project->Clock->Source to "Internal"

However, depending on how your hi-resolution timer is set up both in your BIOS & in Windows itself, option 2 might not be accurate enough.

I find keeping the clock source as "Audio" and inserting a blank audio track the most reliable.

Also make sure that your Playback Timing Master is set to the correct audio device.

11 hours ago, Harley Dear said:

Not sure I understand you correctly by 'rendering' but I use my Rog Strix G15 ASUS laptop.

What software or hardware synth is making the sounds.

30 minutes ago, Harley Dear said:

How do I go about achieving my Playback Timing Master is set to the correct audio device?

Press 'P' on your computer keyboard for Preferences. Ensure that setting is to the audio interface or sound card you want to use.

On 12/10/2022 at 10:53 PM, Harley Dear said:

We use CbB as backing track for our band -all MIDI files.

Does this mean MIDI is driving an external hardware synth with no soft synths in the project? Given that you're using a laptop and don't mention an external MIDI interface or other hardware, I would think you must be using soft synth in which case it's not really possible to have timing issues without also having audio distortion or some sort. Or are you possibly outputting the MIDI to the laptop's onboard "Wavetable" synth (let's hope not!).

In any case, if these are somehow 'pure MIDI' projects with no soft synths or other audio track content as Mark mentioned, I would suggest a third option for keeping the audio clock active:

Enable CbB's audio metronome for playback, output it to a bus, and mute the bus.

Usually just having the metronome set to 'Audio' in preferences is enough, but having it actually active on playback can be helpful in some instances.

7 hours ago, Harley Dear said:

Playback Timing Master is set to the correct audio device?

hit the letter "P", that will open PREFERENCES.
Select Driver Settings
babyface_preferences_driver_settings.jpg.97964b7f16c5df34ad4a13e95fb9da25.jpg

Playback and Record are at the top of the page....
In my case, on this computer, the RME Babyface (and CbB "sees" it as Fireface) is my interface.
I am using the ASIO driver (which in general should always be your first choice).

HTH

t

On 12/13/2022 at 7:44 AM, David Baay said:

Does this mean MIDI is driving an external hardware synth with no soft synths in the project? Given that you're using a laptop and don't mention an external MIDI interface or other hardware, I would think you must be using soft synth in which case it's not really possible to have timing issues without also having audio distortion or some sort. Or are you possibly outputting the MIDI to the laptop's onboard "Wavetable" synth (let's hope not!).

In any case, if these are somehow 'pure MIDI' projects with no soft synths or other audio track content as Mark mentioned, I would suggest a third option for keeping the audio clock active:

Enable CbB's audio metronome for playback, output it to a bus, and mute the bus.

Usually just having the metronome set to 'Audio' in preferences is enough, but having it actually active on playback can be helpful in some instances.

@David Baay Sorry, it was my lousy explanation. My 'tracks' in CakeWalk are all MIDI. I don't have any audio. CakeWalk on my laptop ( with all tracks being MIDI ) goes into our Ui24R. The attached xls file shows how we run this for our standard template.

Harley

Ui24R-Cakewalk map Jun 25 2022.xls

On 12/13/2022 at 6:25 AM, 57Gregy said:

What software or hardware synth is making the sounds.

Press 'P' on your computer keyboard for Preferences. Ensure that setting is to the audio interface or sound card you want to use.

Cakewalk in my laptop, hooked up to t our UI24R is making the sound. All tracks on Cakewalk are MIDI - there are no Audio tracks.

Harley

3 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

@Harley Dear  Mark means in the Preferences, in this section:

2059373370_Screenshot2022-12-15170524.jpg.17296cd258581c131a94c7920696567e.jpg

You can see mine is set to Audio, he suggests you set it to Internal.

Only this to internal if you're using pure MIDI tracks, and there are no audio tracks or softsynths in your project.

In all other cases, this should be set to Audio.

The spreadsheet reveals the sound source is TTS-1. A synth track is an audio track with input from a soft synth rather than a hardware input; it is effectively the same as a recorded audio track in terms of how audio is rendered, clocked and streamed to the analog audio output of the laptop. As I said previously, I can't imagine how you would have tempo variation from that setup without audio distortion/pitch changes unless there are tempo changes in the project or the MIDI is not in sync with the timeline everywhere.

Edited by David Baay

14 hours ago, David Baay said:

The spreadsheet reveals the sound source is TTS-1. A synth track is an audio track with input from a soft synth rather than a hardware input; it is effectively the same as a recorded audio track in terms of how audio is rendered, clocked and streamed to the analog audio output of the laptop. As I said previously, I can't imagine how you would have tempo variation from that setup without audio distortion/pitch changes unless there are tempo changes in the project or the MIDI is not in sync with the timeline everywhere.

Thanks David. Maybe it's my imagination then ( not dissing your comment at all ) and I'll look at some way to try and get that established/rubbished. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Harley

On 12/17/2022 at 2:29 AM, DeeringAmps said:

Does it matter that Playback is set to 5 and Recording is set to 1? I have always set both to 1.

Hi Tom, that's just how it ended up when I set it up initially. Because it worked, I never thought to change it.

I'm going through the various CWP files and adding the audio as sugested

Thanks everyone for taking their time to help me out. It's really appreciated.

Harley

Edited by Harley Dear